• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Reloading manuals.

I like Sierra's only because I shoot a lot of Sierra bullets. They are not so up to date with some bullets or powders, but that is why I reference another manual if needed. If you are looking for good suggestions for charge weights, they are typically understated across the board. You are gonna have to pick a charge and work it up from there. For pistol, I like Hornady's manual.

Yes, all manuals are created equal, in typical Communist Fashion, some are More Equal than others.
Rule of thumb, get manuals for the different bullet types you frequently use, as in Sierra, Berger, Nosler....
As far as a one size fits all, or a starter, get a Lyman Manual. You should have more than one reference source to double check against, though.

There is no single manual that can ever be best because NONE of them use the exact same lot numbers of components that you do, so you need to reference at least two sources, that use the same bullet weight and powder you want, so you can use the LOWEST STARTING LOAD for safety. Twice in my life I have used a starting load that was at least a MAX load in my gun with my components.
Simply compare the max loads in two different manuals and you'll see that you can't possibly know which is the max load for your gun.
Test procedures are all SAAMI compliant, so any one should get the exact same results testing that another lab got IF THE EXACT SAME LOT NUMBERS OF COMPONENTS ARE USED. The fact that they don't shows that the components and guns are NOT exactly the same--and your gun and components are AT LEAST as different.

I would say with a library of of over 30 manuals (bought from a widow) that the Lee reloading manual is the most comprehensive out of all of them (Sierra, Barnes, nosler, Speer, hodgdon, Lyman). It's my go too book.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

If you look at the Lyman manual you will see test data from universal receiver and test barrel. The pressure readings come straight from a copper crusher or transducer at the midpoint of the cartridge meaning direct reading. The test barrel has a minimum dimension chamber and bore and thus generating the highest possible chamber pressures.

In other manuals where a specific firearm is listed a strain gauge is glued to the barrel and then calibrated with a cartridge of a known chamber pressure.

Bottom line, the test equipment, firearm and the components used can have a big effect on the chamber pressure and velocity results. And having a large assortment of manuals to "AVERAGE" your load data will help greatly

Below are pressure and velocity charts for the .223/5.56 with the same powder charge and bullet, the only differences is the case capacity of the two cases. One case has a case capacity of 30.6 and the other has a capacity of 28.8 grains of H2O and this causes 6,000 psi difference in the pressure readings.

Below a .223/5.56 case with 30.6 grains case capacity of H2O

308_zpsf81bb4cc.jpg

Below a .223/5.56 case with 28.8 grains case capacity of H2O

288_zps26698a67.jpg

Books? The Internet... Ahh yes! Honestly, loaddata.com is about the best resource one can utilize this day in time I think. Granted, there is a subscription fee also.

If you absolutely need paper, I would vote for Sierra's book. Good for finding a decent starting point.

If it's not too late, I vote for the Hornady manual, their bullets line up good with Sierra and Nosler for plastic tipped and match style. The Amax's bearing surface resembles Berger's the closest, for a number of them. And they actually use more varieties of powders than most.

Face it, bullet companies have manuals, and powder co's have manuals, nothing rarely matches your needs??? Hodgdon just fucked up their reloading data pages, unless I haven't figured it out correctly.

After I learned how to develop my own loads and did not need my 60+ reloading manuals, I went back to compare MY loads to the BOOK loads.

Sierra is the best match for rifles.
There is no match for handguns, the books are all too wimpy.