• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Predicament

JAS-SH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
Hi All,

I used to reload many years ago. Did that for Shotgun sports when I used to compete in Sporting Clays, and did so with a 1990's Hornady 366 (still in the attic).

Back then I was reloading (and shooting) about 20K shot shells a year. That was a necessity! It was a lot cheaper than buying that many Remington STS shells - my favorites - by far. At first it was fun, then it became work -a LOT of work. I also reloaded rifle ammo in .308 for hunting but don't have that press and kit anymore.

Fast forward to today, I'm off the shotgun sports and shooting precision rifle. So, I've been saving my Hornady 6mm once fired brass and I'm up to ~800 pieces.

Keep thinking I might go back into reloading. Then I looked at the cost. Starting with the setup - minimally ~$1.0k, then powder, bullets, primer, etc. - if I can find them.

On top of that, the Hornady factory match ammunition I am using has evolved to a point where it is so much better than yesterday's ammo that I get bug hole groups at a 100 yards with their 6mm108s more often that not. If I shop around I can get the factory ammo for a buck fifty a round. I doubt I can do better than that at home.

So, what's the point? I could see myself going back to reloading with all that brass and all, but the expense of setting up plus components don't seem to make sense, especially with the factory ammo's precision.

I want to make use of that once fired pristine brass though, hence the quandary.

I might just go deep and get involved in the reloading biz again, but this time doesn't seem like the '90s, when there was no other way.... There are no savings!

Thoughts?

I have only been reloading for a short period of time, and I've been stockpiling supplies. I felt exactly like you did here until the plandemic shortages hit and I couldn't get the ammo I wanted, and what I could get was triple price or worse. So now I've got enough supplies to reload a million rounds in 10 different cartridges. I am still working through my factory ammo in some cartridges, and I am still buying some because they just don't make sense to reload. But basically I have built up my supplies to a point that I have enough supplies to keep me shooting the rest of my life (at a diminished rate). It really isn't about money as much as it is about not being caught without what I want ever again.

I have been reloading for decades and have always been able to work up reloads that will shoot better than factory ammo and save money while doing so.

The day that factory ammo will be more accurate than a reload worked up for a particular gun is not something I see coming. Nor do I see a box of factory ammo ever being cheaper than a box of reloads.

I have been reloading for decades and have always been able to work up reloads that will shoot better than factory ammo and save money while doing so.

The day that factory ammo will be more accurate than a reload worked up for a particular gun is not something I see coming. Nor do I see a box of factory ammo ever being cheaper than a box of reloads.
It's hard to buy supplies in today's world and reload for some of the smaller stuff like .223. I can buy hornady 55gr V-max for about $23.00 a box. With primers at $120-$140/ box, and powder at $60/lb, if you could load them cheaper, the change wouldn't come near being worth my time for a cartridge that shoots .5 moa in most decent rifles.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Yes its work. Yes there are things I would rather be doing. But yes, I get exactly what I want or even better get loaded rounds for rifles and handguns that are chambered for wildcat rounds or rounds that use bullet combinations that are not available. Besides, the equipment needed is all durable hardware, and will likely last longer than you and your sons/daughters.

In the end, the more you can do yourself, and the more you stock up when times are plentiful and relatively inexpensive, the much better chance you will have of being able to keep on shooting during the next pan- dem(ocrat) - ic or when hiden joe biden gets put back in office.

And still cheaper than $40.00 for a box of twenty.

Do you like reloading and have the time and space for it? its really just another hobby that supports your shooting. the break even point on reloading varies for different calibers so youll have to do the math. with todays prices its alot.

you can sell the brass and recoop some of the cost.

Back when Hornady americN gunner 6.5CM came in 200rd cases for $150 I didnt reload because it was a wash and besides it shot .5".

Do you like reloading and have the time and space for it? its really just another hobby that supports your shooting. the break even point on reloading varies for different calibers so youll have to do the math. with todays prices its alot.

you can sell the brass and recoop some of the cost.

Back when Hornady americN gunner 6.5CM came in 200rd cases for $150 I didnt reload because it was a wash and besides it shot .5".
That stuff is awesome. I still have probably 600 rds of it, shoots sub moa in everything I've ever seen it fed through. I think I bought 1,000 rounds at one time after I got the first box of 50 at my lgs and realized it was the most consistent factory ammo I'd ever seen.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
That stuff is awesome. I still have probably 600 rds of it, shoots sub moa in everything I've ever seen it fed through. I think I bought 1,000 rounds at one time after I got the first box of 50 at my lgs and realized it was the most consistent factory ammo I'd ever seen.
honestly couldnt make reloads that were more accurate. ES/SD wasnt the best but damn it stacked them.

The real benifit of reloading is ability to make custom loads and self reliance. I havent bought ammo in like 5 years because I can make all I need to shoot. some rifles have never seen factory ammo.

I like to think of it as a tinkerer thing. If you are the kinda guy that likes improving their car or truck.......you will probably like reloading. I personally like it because I can pass along mechanical knowledge to a younger generation while in a comfortable clean environment.

From an economic viewpoint, I have a number of customers that literally see factory ammo or expensive custom ammo as the "budget" option given their careers and earning potential for the same time spent reloading. To each their own. I like having both options.

Ern

IDK where you're finding Hornady 6mm 108 ELD-M rounds for $1.50 a round, but I'd say buy as many as you can while you can at that price, because it's probably not going to get any cheaper. I've seen it for that price from time to time, but that's only before tax and shipping, $1.50 per round turns into $1.75-$2.00+ per round once you factor that stuff into the equation most of the time.

I'm a pretty good ammo/component hoarder, and $1.70+ per round is more the norm for that stuff (again, that's before tax and shipping).

The real problem is getting enough of it... finding 2-3 cases (400-600rds) isn't too tough. Finding enough rounds to get through a few barrels, whether from the same lot or not, is a much taller order.

Not to mention, having to test each lot, or having to live with whatever level of consistency you happen to get... These days factory ammo is pretty good, but those ammo factories can't beat my "ammo factory": where every powder charge is the same down to the kernel, and the tolerances never vary by more than a few thou.

Reactions: Foul Mike
IDK where you're finding Hornady 6mm 108 ELD-M rounds for $1.50 a round, but I'd say buy as many as you can while you can at that price, because it's probably not going to get any cheaper. I've seen it for that price from time to time, but that's only before tax and shipping, $1.50 per round turns into $1.75-$2.00+ per round once you factor that stuff into the equation most of the time.

I'm a pretty good ammo/component hoarder, and $1.70+ per round is more the norm for that stuff (again, that's before tax and shipping).

The real problem is getting enough of it... finding 2-3 cases (400-600rds) isn't too tough. Finding enough rounds to get through a few barrels, whether from the same lot or not, is a much taller order.

Not to mention, having to test each lot, or having to live with whatever level of consistency you happen to get... These days factory ammo is pretty good, but those ammo factories can't beat my "ammo factory": where every powder charge is the same down to the kernel, and the tolerances never vary by more than a few thou.
I'm not even sure who said they could buy 6mm creed 108 eld-m for $1.50 a round, but I've bought it for less. Look at the screenshot below, that isn't hard to duplicate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221029-203006_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221029-203006_Chrome.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 102
I'm not even sure who said they could buy 6mm creed 108 eld-m for $1.50 a round, but I've bought it for less. Look at the screenshot below, that isn't hard to duplicate.
IDK, just now, using ammoseek.com, I found only 2 places even selling 200rd cases, both are more than $1.50 per round before tax and shipping.

With everything else that goes with this sport I can't even imagine bothering with buying ammo by the 20rd box, a couple boxes here and a couple boxes there (and the variation that goes with that)... that'd be maddening to me.

IDK, just now, using ammoseek.com, I found only 2 places even selling 200rd cases, both are more than $1.50 per round before tax and shipping.

With everything else that goes with this sport I can't even imagine bothering with buying ammo by the 20rd box, a couple boxes here and a couple boxes there (and the variation that goes with that)... that'd be maddening to me.
Wouldn't be ideal, I just saw the price you referenced and I thought it wasn't an unreasonable price. I bought 3 cases of norma golden (whatever) a few months ago. 107gr match for $1/ rd directly from norma.

Wouldn't be ideal, I just saw the price you referenced and I thought it wasn't an unreasonable price. I bought 3 cases of norma golden (whatever) a few months ago. 107gr match for $1/ rd directly from norma.
See, that's the thing: if you can get enough of it and don't have to deal with the annoyance of finding more of the same stuff, then it's honestly a great idea to just shoot factory stuff.

That said, I actually find reloading kind of therapeutic... so it's not really all about the money to me.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
See, that's the thing: if you can get enough of it and don't have to deal with the annoyance of finding more of the same stuff, then it's honestly a great idea to just shoot factory stuff.

That said, I actually find reloading kind of therapeutic... so it's not really all about the money to me.
I struggle with finding the time. I get very limited daylight hours at home, and I can either spend them shooting or loading ammo. I have more reloading components than I'll ever use, but I'd rather spend my spare time shooting or hunting when it makes sense to buy factory. I have a range in my yard that is just shy of 400y, and I try shoot or hunt 3 or 4 times a week. I probably shoot as much as a low level prs pro, but I don't compete in anything.

Reactions: CK1.0
I am just starting to load 6BR so I had to acquire dies, bushings, mandrel, tool head, etc. as well as components.

Wrt the latter, I was fortunate enough to get everything I needed without too much delay - I bought it when I FOUND it, regardless of price. So roughly $135 per hundred for Alpha brass, $400 for a jug of Varget, $95 per thousand primers, $.38 each for 108 ELDM bullets, plus tax for all and shipping/hazmat on the primers (rest were bought at a brick&mortar reloading-specialty store; the trip there&back added about $20 for gas).

All that comes out to around 80 cents a round for 6BR per Dillon's calculator, based on 30.2gr powder and 15 reloads each on the brass. So the few hundred bucks for dies and associated one-time brass-prep purchases will get paid for soon enough compared to factory (if it can be found).

But starting from scratch for everything? Ouch. Big hit for press, annealer, tumbler & other brass prep bits, good scale, caliper, loading trays, a bench... and someplace to put all the stuff.

And time. Precision rifle brass prep = time suck any way you look at it. The more goodies you buy to speed all that up, the more it costs.

If one can afford the up-front cost, investment in good reloading gear is worthwhile. My Dillon press is in its 23rd year and the shotshell presses date back to the '80s. The value of time and space required is up to each individual.

Reactions: JAS-SH
as an example.
my 6.5 prc is $60 a box so $3 per rd
I can load it for about $0.80

1000rds factory = $3000
1000rds loaded = $800

I'll save $2200 over 1000rds

Factory ammo was non existant for 2 years and just now started showing up.

It's not easy to find but if and when it shows up @ $1.50 I buy cases. Right now I have 8 - 200rd cases in the safe. It's not a lot, but I also have a .22 trainer. Lots of ammo for that as well. I don't add tax and shipping to comparisons because those vary by location. In my location that's like $339-$349 a case. I've even bought them with free shipping, though not lately...

As far as I can tell, Hornady match ammo is so good these days that I have not seen performance variations from lot to lot.... I use the lots in a first in first out basis to keep the stuff fresh.

I get reloading - used to do a ton of it. But, having to buy everything new for the setup and then creating a good round, only two find a few months later that I can't get the same primers or the same powder puts the whole enterprise in peril.

I ended up going with 6cm over 6.5cm a year ago because I could find ammo everywhere in 6cm. At the time it was more challenging finding 6.5cm and it was much more expensive. It seems supplies have improved since then for 6.5cm. I ended up paying less than 1.50 per round for 400 rounds of Hornady 108 ELD-M and it still seems easy to find in that cost range. I noticed on Ammoseek this morning there are 200 round cases at $1.60 per round with free shipping here. With that being said I have saved the brass and started reloading as a hobby because I wanted to learn the process and be able to adjust loads.

From a cost stand point I am not sure it will ever be cheaper for me to reload based on the cost today for supplies plus gathering the reloading tools. It would be much cheaper and less time to just buy Hornady 108 ELD-M but I am enjoying the process and being able to adjust loads.

Right know the economics is so skewed it's hard to make a cost based decision. If you can buy ammunition that meets your expected performance at a cost that's acceptable then I would go that route. That is unless you enjoy reloading then it becomes less about economics.

I get reloading - used to do a ton of it. But, having to buy everything new for the setup and then creating a good round, only two find a few months later that I can't get the same primers or the same powder puts the whole enterprise in peril.

It's not in peril if you buy a lot of components when they are available. I've got 9k LR primers and 7k SR primers, probably 1500 cases across 4 different cartridge types, and more than 100lbs of powder. Not saying you need to go that high, but get a couple thousand primers and 20 lbs of powder and you'll be set for a while.

Regardless, for most people here, reloading isn't about cost. It's about creating the best performing ammo for a given rifle and/or having some semblance of control to accessing ammo.

• Wow
Reactions: JAS-SH and Doom
I'm thinking I still might jump back in the pool. There is something really bothersome to me about collecting all the pristine once fired brass and then not doing anything with it. My 6mm rifle has a great chamber - once fired brass just has a bit of carbon at the top of the neck, otherwise the brass is like new.

If I did start again I would probably reload hunting loads first, with CX solids and varmint/predator bullets. But I know how my mind works. Next I would be buying .223 dies, then maybe 45-70 and dies for the .25CM I want to build, and all the different powders primers, etc. . I've stayed away from it because once I get going I know I will be living in the garage!!! I tend to get compulsive :)

A lee hand press and dies and a scale can get you in the game with minimal space and money invested. You can load good ammo that way, no worries. A rockchucker etc, lee dies, and a decent scale can get things done affordably too! You have lots of options that won't break the bank or take up a whole room.

That ammo will likely shoot better than factory since you can tailor it to your barrel with a little work. You will save some money per round as well most of the time. Variety is a good thing too... reduced loads, weird projectiles etc are on the table too.

jump in with your eyes open and with both feet the deep end of the pool is where the most fun is .

I'm thinking I still might jump back in the pool. There is something really bothersome to me about collecting all the pristine once fired brass and then not doing anything with it.

Bro is hornady brass, throw it in the garbage or take it to a scrap yard

Sell the hornady brass & buy a couple hundred Lapua cases & some Bergers, pick a powder etc & see if you can make reloads that shoot better than factory, if not....

Hi All,

I used to reload many years ago. Did that for Shotgun sports when I used to compete in Sporting Clays, and did so with a 1990's Hornady 366 (still in the attic).

Back then I was reloading (and shooting) about 20K shot shells a year. That was a necessity! It was a lot cheaper than buying that many Remington STS shells - my favorites - by far. At first it was fun, then it became work -a LOT of work. I also reloaded rifle ammo in .308 for hunting but don't have that press and kit anymore.

Fast forward to today, I'm off the shotgun sports and shooting precision rifle. So, I've been saving my Hornady 6mm once fired brass and I'm up to ~800 pieces.

Keep thinking I might go back into reloading. Then I looked at the cost. Starting with the setup - minimally ~$1.0k, then powder, bullets, primer, etc. - if I can find them.

On top of that, the Hornady factory match ammunition I am using has evolved to a point where it is so much better than yesterday's ammo that I get bug hole groups at a 100 yards with their 6mm108s more often that not. If I shop around I can get the factory ammo for a buck fifty a round. I doubt I can do better than that at home.

So, what's the point? I could see myself going back to reloading with all that brass and all, but the expense of setting up plus components don't seem to make sense, especially with the factory ammo's precision.

I want to make use of that once fired pristine brass though, hence the quandary.

I might just go deep and get involved in the reloading biz again, but this time doesn't seem like the '90s, when there was no other way.... There are no savings!

Thoughts?
I have two answers to your question ... that are uniquely my own.

1. I retired a few years ago, and every retiree should have a very consuming hobby to keep their brain active ... precision cartridge shooting and handloading does that for me.

2. I have Parkinson's Disease, and the work around precision handloading is good for my small motor skills, memory, and critical thinking.

This combination of reasons is over and above that "it's fun" and "save money" aspect others might consider.

That said ... it's fun, and I save a little money.

BTW ... the "hunt" for supplies is all part of that beneficial mental exercise.

I don’t want to side track the OPs original question but I am new to reloading as well. I am currently loading on a Lee Challenger single stage and just for 308 at this time, I’d like to start working with 6.5 Creedmoor so that maybe I can shoot an extra match or two on the same budget would it be worth going to a progressive press or just stick with the single? Thanks

I load all precision rifle on a single stage Co-ax. I load all .223 and 9mm on a Dillon progressive.

Let’s be clear folks you don’t save any money reloading you just shoot a whole lot more then most lol.

I don’t want to side track the OPs original question but I am new to reloading as well. I am currently loading on a Lee Challenger single stage and just for 308 at this time, I’d like to start working with 6.5 Creedmoor so that maybe I can shoot an extra match or two on the same budget would it be worth going to a progressive press or just stick with the single? Thanks
For rifle precision loads I would avoid the progressive. You might consider a turret press if doing different calibers but to be honest, the benefit is small. If you reload for pistol then a turret press allow you to size and flare in successive steps.

Reactions: MCGILLA
I use a redding big boss 2 single stage press. Will a progressive work? Yes, but I would take that money and buy competition dies and good components and load those. If u gotta Ditch the Lee I would get a big boss 2

Reactions: Modoc
I just started reloading only for 6.5cr and 6br with a Forster Co-ax. I don’t see a need for a progressive press. Die change on the co-ax takes only seconds after they are adjusted.

Reactions: Modoc
Overall - i consider reloading less of trying to save money and more of consistency of the rounds. I only load rifle calibers for prs - and I am. Getting to the point where I am specifically paying more money to complete operations faster and ‘spend’ less time loading and more time with the family. 10 years ago - loading 9mm was cheaper than buying. These days - loading is for quality and consistency vs (almost) any concerns for cost. For me at least ;)

Hi All,

Thoughts?
You can do better than 1.50 a round easily and it shouldn’t take $1k to get started unless you insist on top shelf. For someone who left and is now thinking about dipping a toe back in the pool I would expect $500 for a decent press, a set of decent dies and perhaps a decent set of calipers. Maybe $600 (haven’t actually priced anything, just gut feel) and you don’t really need things like auto powder charge machines etc. Get what you need, and then if you remain serious upgrade as you go, in a more knowledgeable/controlled manner.
At least, that’s my advice. I have been reloading since the 70’s and just can’t imagine paying ammo prices at the big box shops or worse yet, online with shipping charges etc except at need.

Reactions: simonp
I have also noticed the Hornady match 108 ammo being very accurate. My buddy shoots it and does .40 moa easily with a Daniel Defense bolt rifle. He gave me his brass, about 900 pieces, so naturally I had to put together a rifle to use it. I reload as a hobby so my time is "free". Today's component costs put me at .85-.90 cents a round to reload the free Hornady brass, which is actually pretty good stuff.

I get the OP's dilemma. He'd have to reload 1600-ish rounds to save $1,000, not factoring his time. If the Hornady ammo meets his needs, reloading would only give limited, if any, accuracy improvement.

I have also noticed the Hornady match 108 ammo being very accurate. My buddy shoots it and does .40 moa easily with a Daniel Defense bolt rifle. He gave me his brass, about 900 pieces, so naturally I had to put together a rifle to use it. I reload as a hobby so my time is "free". Today's component costs put me at .85-.90 cents a round to reload the free Hornady brass, which is actually pretty good stuff.

I get the OP's dilemma. He'd have to reload 1600-ish rounds to save $1,000, not factoring his time. If the Hornady ammo meets his needs, reloading would only give limited, if any, accuracy improvement.
For me, much of reloading is like “knitting” but for shooters. It has several additional benefits in that one has to use your mind, practice precision, and the additional benefits of efficient use of materials as well as the potential or likelihood of improving accuracy depending on needs and use.
Being retired my time is less of a factor than previously. During Covid reloading was a lifesaver by keeping me sane doing something lol

Hi All,

Thoughts?
Reloading, for me, is much more than just handloading to save a few bucks and creating a quality product.
It is one of 2 hobbies I have maintained over the decades. I love the challenge of always working to beat my previous accuracy and quality work. The science of it is so new, still, that the learnings can be exceptional along with experimentation.
As a retiree the challenge to my grey matter is important to me, and is enjoyable as well.

At times it also can be knitting for men lol