• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading press advise

Rowdyryno

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
Wichita kansas
Buying a reloading press finally and need advice between the Dillon 550B or a RCBS single stage. I shoot for precision and mainly shoot 260,308,338NM. The reason I started looking at the Dillon is so that I do not need to unscrew the dies from stage to stage can leave each cal on there designated trey. I would still use it like a single stage so that I can weigh out each load for consistency but let me know what is the best route?

Reloading press advise

Personally I would get the single stage.. And if you want to move up to the 550b, you'll still have use for the single stage. Good to learn on the single stage also. Also sometimes the plate that holds the dies has alittle play when the ram is up, so that might make your measurements alittle off.

Last edited:
Also since you don't want to keep unscrewing the dies... You might want to take a look the Hornady lock n load quick change bushing conversion kit.. Make changing dies on a single stage a breeze. Literally change them in a sec

Get a Redding T7. Best of both worlds. Holds 7 dies so you don't have to swap out dies (I run 3 sets and a lee universal decapper). Holds tight tolerances, great press. Then do yourself a favor and get an Inline Fabrication Strong Mount for it to raise it to a reasonable level. Trust me you won't be disappointed in this setup.

Best place to get it from is here:

T-7 Turret Reloading Press

They will ship it flat rate for cheap.

Strong mount:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/625455/inline-fabrication-ultramount-for-redding-t-7-turret-press?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Last edited:
Buying a reloading press finally and need advice between the Dillon 550B or a RCBS single stage. I shoot for precision and mainly shoot 260,308,338NM. The reason I started looking at the Dillon is so that I do not need to unscrew the dies from stage to stage can leave each cal on there designated trey. I would still use it like a single stage so that I can weigh out each load for consistency but let me know what is the best route?

I use my Dillon for precision loading all the time. Just remove the powder measuring die and load the powder by hand. So you basically set up your Dillon as a single stage press. It works great! Also get the Unique Tech upgrades to screw down your base for the dies to improve the seating depth variances and a few other upgrades

Personally I would get the single stage.. And if you want to move up to the 550b, you'll still have use for the single stage. Good to learn on the single stage also. Also sometimes the plate that holds the dies has alittle play when the ram is up, so that might make your measurements alittle off.

I was using a friends single stage "patches" the guy who started the dta threads. He moved to kc so I'm just seeing what I should get for a set up at my house.

Forster Co-Ax, best single stage press in my book. Single stage for precision rifle reloading. Dillion for pistol or bulk 223. Just my thoughts

Deadnbrkn84 I looked at this one awhile back and totally forgot about it. Y did they do a 7 station turret? How do you have yours set up.

You will always have a use for a single stage press. I have the Dillon 550B and a redding big boss and use both but if you are mainly loading precision rifle you can't beat a good single stage.

I would also recommend the Forster co-ax. Dies are quickly/easily changeable. Just another option to get you started. It really comes down to Ford vs Chevy. Some guys have brands that they love for certain reasons that suit them. One just needs to search through those reasons and see which ones fit your needs. I also own a Hornady L-n-L single stage. Between the two I feel that the Forster has more options and is a more solid press...for me. I will say though that since I got the co-ax the hornady has sat in the corner unused.

Deadnbrkn84 I looked at this one awhile back and totally forgot about it. Y did they do a 7 station turret? How do you have yours set up.

Read my whole post and I explain how I have it setup.

To explain again, I run three sets of dies and a universal decapping die. When I get home from a match, I deprime them all on the universal decapper then tumble them. When I want to load them I turn the turret and size them all, prime them (by hand), powder, then turn the turret to the seater and seat the bullets. Easiest and you don't have to change a thing, just turn the turret

FWIW I used to run my Dillon 550b for precision and when I got really into this I then found it's limitations. Now I run my 550b for bulk stuff (223, 9mm, .40 etc) and the T-7 for precision only.

The thing that bothers me a little is that Rowdyryno considers it a chore to unscrew dies. Precision handloading involves many tactile operations more involved than changing out dies. If working with your hands turns you off, buying a progressive won't change your attitude. Maybe I'm misreading? If so, I apologize. BB

Something to consider....
Whatever the decission everyone should have single stage. Not 100% necessary but at some point everyone serious in reloading needs one and the stronger it is, the better. specially important
around magnums and for wildcatters.
If you want single press versatility the redding big boss II is hard to beat in terms of size and leverage for big magnums and case forming. Huge opening and heavy large frame and arm w/o going
into 50 caliber and smaller derivates type of deal. This is something independent of branding and fashions. Look at the large arm system, large cantilever and dimensions.
Also in progressive the hornday lock n load produces match type of ammunition with good dies. The advantage of this is that allows to changes seating dies or other individual steps
w/o having to setup an entire turret. I don't load the largest magnums in a progressive but it does very well with anything so far.
I also use an RCBS progressive and it is very good but I find the hornady more versatile and overall more forgiving when you get used to it. Both have super reliable priming
and powder trow systems. Case feeders and bullet feeders require some attention at first to set them up fine but when they are running they work very well.
For a single stage RCBS rock chucker is a classic for a life time of quality reloads but check out the redding big boss with the primers dispensed through a shaft cut in the massive ram.
For fast and super accurate brass prep and trimming there is nothing like the forster 3 way with a powered unit. nothing comes close in terms of consistency for a fast
cut/prep type of system. Lots of options but do not have the consistency of this one. RCBS 3 way doesn't work well.
I have all those these and a few others that ended up being bad investments so I am giving you the opinions in good faith from close observation, first hand experience and after
being reloading 25+ years.
And yes I use a small lee press that is great to take to the range and seat bullets when working on reloads. I love that little press for specific tasks. Very affordable too.
Beginners should also consider a little lee press or other inexpensive to maybe start practicing and learning and you will always find a role for one of those to take to the range or something.
It is good to learn and as you go firgure out what you need w/o huge investments up front. I have seen lots of folks spending a fortune only to find out they are not using the
equipment or that reloading was not really for them after all.

Last edited:
I've got both. The Dillon 550b is great for pistol and "standard" rifle reloading where the powder dispensing in pretty well in the ballpark (depending on what powders you use -- long grain extruded powders don't meter well). I use a RCBS Rockchucker that might be older than me, coupled with a RCBS Chargemaster where I want loads to be + - 0.1 grains for accuracy in rifles. For my non-competition "poodle shooter" I use the Dillon. Both presses are great depending on what you intend to do. Good luck.

The thing that bothers me a little is that Rowdyryno considers it a chore to unscrew dies. Precision handloading involves many tactile operations more involved than changing out dies. If working with your hands turns you off, buying a progressive won't change your attitude. Maybe I'm misreading? If so, I apologize. BB
Not that I think it's a chore I'm trying to eliminate the chance of slightly changing the settings on the dies from screwing then in and out. Also the chance of not screwing the die all the way from the time be for. Correct me if I'm wrong I may be thinking into it to much. The thought of setting the dies in a casting and leaving them and changing the casting out is what I was trying to accomplish.

Hornady makes die bushings that will resolve the issue if setting up your dies every time. Pretty inexpensive

I have a 550B and that is what I started with. Like you said, it is easy to run it as a single stage. There is a little play in the tool head but that is how it was designed to help center the dies. I bought a UniqueTek Toolhead Clamp Kit for my hunting and precision ammo and my variances all but disappeared. Before using the clamp kit I only had minimal variances. I was either going to get a single stage to load precision or the toolhead clamp kit. The kit was cheaper and I didn't have to take up space on my bench with a single stage press. If you are going to be doing a lot of loading for pistol or AR, I would go with the 550. If you are going to be loading mainly for a bolt gun, go with the SS press.

Forster Co-Ax, best single stage press in my book. Single stage for precision rifle reloading. Dillion for pistol or bulk 223. Just my thoughts
Sir I think this is the answer to my problem. Do you know if there is a mount like on the others to get it up off the bench for ease of use? Also best place to order the press and does that I need?

I use my Dillon for precision loading all the time. Just remove the powder measuring die and load the powder by hand. So you basically set up your Dillon as a single stage press. It works great! Also get the Unique Tech upgrades to screw down your base for the dies to improve the seating depth variances and a few other upgrades
Just what I do. Have many different heads and just slip I the one I need for each caliber. Have universal deprimer and have Redding Competition dies for occasional FLS. Use the Lee collet dies for neck sizing and bullit seating. RCBS Chargemaster throws the powder great, if you let it warm up for several hours first. Good Luck

There is really nothing the Dillon 550 can't do. I use it for pretty much all of the reloading that I do, and my accuracy standards are pretty high. For precision rifle rounds, spending a little money on John Whidden's CNC tool heads with floating die setup and clamp kit goes a looooong way to making them consistent. I load powder over the top at station 2 with a funnel die, don't use the dillon measure. I have single stage presses also, but never use them. I can't make ammo any better on a single stage, just slower.

I have a Dillon 550 and a Forster Co-Ax. They're both outstanding. I didn't need the Co-Ax since I was able to load everything on the 550. I got it because I wanted it. The 550 is capable of doing whatever you want it to do.

Get a Redding T7. Best of both worlds. Holds 7 dies so you don't have to swap out dies (I run 3 sets and a lee universal decapper). Holds tight tolerances, great press. Then do yourself a favor and get an Inline Fabrication Strong Mount for it to raise it to a reasonable level. Trust me you won't be disappointed in this setup.

Best place to get it from is here:

T-7 Turret Reloading Press

They will ship it flat rate for cheap.

Strong mount:

Inline Fabrication Ultramount Redding T-7 Turret Press

Exact same setup I use. I sold a Forester co-ax to get this one. Couldn't be happier. Mine is set up for 2 calibers (223 and 308) with redding instant indicators and a universal decapper. I also have mine mounted on a ultramount but mine has they quick change plates so I can mount other presses or tools with just the removal of 2 thumb screws. Inline Fab and the T-7 rocks!

Sir I think this is the answer to my problem. Do you know if there is a mount like on the others to get it up off the bench for ease of use? Also best place to order the press and does that I need?

I sold a Redding T-7 to get my first Co-ax and I couldn't be happier.

Sold all my Redding dies too, and replaced them with Forster.

Like some of the others I use the Dillon 550B for precision loading as a single stage press by removing the rounds at the 2nd position. Throw the powder charge with the RCBS Chargemaster then reinsert the rounds and finish on the Dillon. I have the Dillon trimmer on my Rockchucker. For mass reloading of pistol and rifle I use the 550B on all 4 stations

Like some of the others I use the Dillon 550B for precision loading as a single stage press by removing the rounds at the 2nd position. Throw the powder charge with the RCBS Chargemaster then reinsert the rounds and finish on the Dillon. I have the Dillon trimmer on my Rockchucker. For mass reloading of pistol and rifle I use the 550B on all 4 stations

You don't even need to take the rounds off the press at all. Just get a powder funnel die with the correct insert for your cartridge and dump the powder in at station 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't even need to take the rounds off the press at all. Just get a powder funnel die with the correct insert for your cartridge and dump the powder in at station 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent advice. I already have the powder funnel just have to remove the Dillon powder measure.

I have dual co-ax presses in the reloading room.
I have dual RCBS partner presses in the vehicle.
I have a $20 Lee reloader press clamped to my desk next to my keyboard, where I watch TV recorded on my computer.

Guess which set up gets the most use.

Attachments

• reloading setup 6-9-2014.jpg
    reloading setup 6-9-2014.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 29
OP, from my experience and research, I would say, why not consider starting with the RCBS Summit press, than upgrade to a Hornady Lock-N-Load Turret Press when you get into mass production for .223 or pistols. Buy a bunch of Hornady Lock-N-Load adaptors for quick change of the dies---should fit in the Summit no problem.

I started with a RockChucker Supreme, and I like it very much. I saw the new Summit, and wish that it had been out when I bought the RockChucker. I looked at the Dillons, but I can't see buying the 550 to use as a single stage press when you figure on possible "slop" in the plates, etc, and figure that you will probably upgrade to a Progressive press sometime for more production of pistol ammo, etc. The Dillon 550 isn't a progressive, so I can't see the benefit of paying the extra for it and running the risks of poorer quality product than a true single stage press.
Just my $.00002, and probably worth what you paid me for it----nothing.
Good Luck with your decision!

I'm a huge advocate of loading everything I can on my Dillon 650, to include precision rifle cartridges.

The KEY advantage to doing it this way is how easy it is to size all your brass in preparation for actually loading it. I can literally dump 200 cases into the casefeeder and have them all resized in 10-15 minutes.

This is also a huge advantage in preparing "wildcat" type cartrides that require several different bumping/forming steps. For example, I was preparing 6XC cases from 22-250, which required a shoulder bump with a shortened 308 die, a FLS in a 6XC die, and then a neck-up to 6mm. I was able to do 500pcs of these in less than 30 minutes with my 650. That would have been REALLY painful on my RCBS RC.

Once you have a bin of "ready to load" brass, the Dillon doesn't save much time in actually "loading" them, but it does create a simple and streamlined workflow.

All that said, there is every reason in the world to have a single stage press on your bench, and you WILL use it. Secondly, if you're going to get a Dillon, skip the 550 and get a 650 or 1050. Reason being, the 550 won't handle rifle cartridges from the casefeeder, negating a HUGE advantage of having the progressive in the first place.

forster coax press is state of the art... dies slide in and out for quick change, universal shell holder, mounts easy with C clamps, and stays clean with the depriming catch.

I run A forster Coax, Redding T7, and pair of Dillons. Each tool had its place. Bulk loads on the Dillon 500 are the only way I want to load for my Ar's. I load for the bolt guns on the coax and set up all the measuring tools on the T7.

If I could Choose only one...It would be the Redding T7! Unlike wives...you can have more than one!

I use my 650 and a progressive and a single stage. It's nice to set and be done with the dies. Changing for large primers to small primers is the most tedious thing, but once you get it, and a spare primer loader setup, it's fast. I love my dillon, and their customer service is the best. Something break? Lose a spring? 2 will be in the mail for free. Also, with a dillon, they have tons of simple aftermarket upgrades which really do help.

Way too many options and confusing :(

I felt that way once. Just get a simple Lee single stage press, and simply start with just getting your feet wet. You'll have fun doing it and things will start to make a lot more sense. THEN, you will know what you want and know where to put your money. Besides, you will never have more fun learning something new then when you take the time to enjoy the process.

I've used a number of presses over the years, but settled on a Dillon 650. It's very easy to operate and if you have a problem or break something their customer service is had to beat! Even if you break it, they'll send you another one, gratis! A buddy of mine has a SL-900 12ga. press of theirs and sent it back to them after loading 100's of 1000's of rounds. They rebuilt it to new, sent it back and didn't charge him a dime. I don't know how you can beat that!

Cheers,

George

I felt that way once. Just get a simple Lee single stage press, and simply start with just getting your feet wet. You'll have fun doing it and things will start to make a lot more sense. THEN, you will know what you want and know where to put your money. Besides, you will never have more fun learning something new then when you take the time to enjoy the process.

+1

I've been reloading for decades and started with a Lee turret press (it was a gift from a grateful client), then moved to a Lee Loadmaster for almost all of my handgun stuff, until I found the joy of the Dillon Square Deal press - of which I now have 2, one in 38 Special and one in 9mm, the rounds I used to shoot by the barrel until components became difficult to impossible to find.

But for rifle loads - previously 308 and now 223 - I have used Lee Challenger single stage presses for years. (I also have one of the little Lee Reloader presses - very handy for keeping a bullet puller permanently set up and available. You WILL need one of those if you reload, and I find the collet tools much more tolerable to use than the hammer type inertial pullers.) My current workhorse for 223 is the Lee Challenger breech lock model, which lets me switch pre-adjusted dies in a couple of seconds. Want to size one case and then seat a bullet in it after charging? Die-change time doesn't enter into my thinking - I just do it.

People knock Lee for being "lightly built" out of aluminum rather than cast iron. But Richard Lee's design philosophy was to make a tool "strong enough" to do the job at hand. More than that just added weight and cost. No, you can't do chin ups hanging on the lever of Lee presses (which I gather you CAN do on a Rock Chucker) but so what? You can size and load tens of thousands of cases for not a lot of investment. The latest Challenger press also has a very effective primer catcher cast into the frame, to which you can attach a plastic tube that takes primers directly to a bottle or bucket under the bench. Keeps most of the press a lot cleaner than the older presses, that put spent primers and their residue all over the place.