• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Press for 338 Lapua Mag?

doorgunner762

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
San Diego, CA
I'm looking at getting a 338 Lapua Mag build in 5-6 months. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker, but I don't think the frame opening is wide enough?

The reloading dies I will be using are Redding Competition Neck Die set. Looking for some opinions on single stage presses.

Thanks

Rick

Re: Reloading Press for 338 Lapua Mag?

I use my old beater Lyman press that I've had for years. I have used it for everything else, including longer rounds. It is a standard sized press.

It seems to work just fine. I bet you will be ok.

I'm running a Redding Ultramag, but I know a Rockchucker Supreme works good as well.

A Rock Chucker will work, but the opening is pretty tight when seating bullets. I use my Redding T-7 for 338LM and a Big Boss for bigger rounds (408, etc).

Rock Chucker will be just fine. In fact, that's what I use. Just be careful when you insert the bullet before seating it. It's tight but very doable.

I use my Hornady LNL because it is what I have. The case fits easily. Bullets can't be just placed in the case mouth because of the seating sleeve. But even that has not been an issue.
If you feel the need to buy a press then go with The Redding of RCBS Supreme as suggested above. The extra room inside the frame will be a plus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorgunner762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at getting a 338 Lapua Mag build in 5-6 months. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker, but I don't think the frame opening is wide enough?

The reloading dies I will be using are Redding Competition Neck Die set. Looking for some opinions on single stage presses.

Thanks

Rick </div></div>

They make the Rock Chucker Supreme press that is fine for the 338LM. You may have to tilt the bullet when getting it into the case mouth, with the standard RC.

Chris

Doorgunner,
I think you should consider the Redding FL bushing die, rather than the neck die. You can neck size with it if you wish or do a slight shoulder bump, which I think you should do every time. Bump them back about .0015 and you will make your life easy and improve accuracy. Most of the BR shooters are now doing this. JMO

I use a RCBS rock chucker for the 338 Lapua and the .45-120 It can be done but there are better presses like the redding boss.

If you are considering spending $$ on a larger frame press you should consider the Corbin bullet swaging press (I believe that it is the CSP-1). It is very strong, can be set up for reloading larger cartridges and is very well aligned and precise. I haven't checked on the prices lately but it was slightly more expensive than a Redding ultramag when I acquired mine.

Forster Co-Ax here. Works well, just have to angle the round in a bit for seating. With the open front on this press, no problem at all. Definitely need the 'magnum' shell plate jaws and even those need opened *wide* for this non-standard sized magnum cartridge.