• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Press for .50BMG

LineofDeparture

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2011
New Roads, La
Gents,
Ive picked up my first 50 and its a M82a1. Got it for a damn good price so i couldnt pass it up. What, if any of you guys using (as equipment..press, dies, etc) to Handload for the Barrett?. I consider myself a pretty informed handloader, ive just never ventured over 338 lapua. I have drank the M82 koolaid and would like to obtain as much info before i purchase. Thanks in advance.
Im attaching a few pics of the New to me Gun.. its very lightly used..
Anyone using a Dillion? I have a 650 and i am very pleased with the results of my progressive press.. I have just never had the pleasure of seeing the dillion 50bmg in person. ALso what are some great dies ? Im trying to buy once cry once when it comes to this press and dies.. I have a Girard Trimmer and annealer so that should simplify that portion.
photo18.jpg

photo14.jpg

Re: Reloading Press for .50BMG

How much do you plan on shooting it and How long do you want to Cry ?
The dillon costs almost 1K without the die set.Plan on another $500++++ for a decent die set.RCBS,Ch4D,M2.Add another $400 for reloading tools(bigger shell blocks/bigger powder dispenser/bigger caliper ?/alot of lube,bigger cartridge box's).Not to mention the reloading components.If I had a M2,I would buy a dillon.They are nice.
For the money,I would buy two Lee 50bmg press kits and a factory crimp die.You should get a membership with the FCSA too.Plenty of good reading,advice and answers for a new 50 owner.Barrett has a forum too.

I don't have the dillon big fifty, i reload on the RCBS ; yhat being said i reload on a dillon 1050 and 1000 presses and there isn't better made presses. I find that reloading single stage is fast enough. i size the bass; trim the tumble; prime and reload. I'm working on brass prep on a large quantity of lake city brand new never fired never loaded not primmed and no primer crimp. the were formed and no flash hole. I had a bud-mastermachinist make a collet to hold the brass, lcked in the collet holder I had him make a hardened drill guide for the primer pocket and am in yhe process or drilling perfect flash holes. Since no crimp much better. I'll ultimately put some up for sale here on SH ; got about 5000; I have RCBS dies and LEE dies. I don't think the Dillon carbide die at 799 is worth it unless U shoot a lot. I too have an 82 it's not a 1/2 moa but still fun

I have a Armalite AR-50 and I use the RCBS Ammomaster. It works great. I bought a Wilson 50bmg case trimmer in instead of the RCBS trim die. For what it's worth, the RCBS 50bmb press and the Hornady press are exactly the same just different color.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LEE 50 cal kit.</div></div> due to my past good experiences with Lee, i think i will try this before i head towards <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Lee</span>Dillion.. its 1/3 the price of <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Lee</span>Dillion so i have to take a shot at it...

Line-of-Departure, I must have missed it...what is "this" you are refering to that is 1/3 the price of Lee?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sudden Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Line-of-Departure, I must have missed it...what is "this" you are refering to that is 1/3 the price of Lee? </div></div> corrected... a bit too much coffee this morning... mixed with my "ADD" its never a good combination...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoots100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Add another $400 for reloading tools(bigger shell blocks/bigger powder dispenser/bigger caliper ?/alot of lube,bigger cartridge box's).</div></div>

For Shell Blocks, I use an old one from Cabelas. It's pretty much just a piece of wood with the holes drilled into them, nothing fancy at all.

For Powder Dispenser, I have an RCBS Chargemaster that works wonderfully. If you're still set on using a thrower let me know. I have an older LEE thrower I'm not using.

For Calipers, my 6" calipers work just fine. They're a bit more awkward to use, but they do work.

For Lube, I use Mobil1. I was skeptical at first but that stuff just WORKS.

For Cartridge Boxes, I use the MTM 12ga case seen here:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-mtm-100-round-12-gauge-shotgun-shell-dry-box-42419.html
The 12ga holes fit a 50BMG shell perfectly secure but you'll only be able to fit one 50rd tray in the box at a time. The other tray you can either put in a Plano ammo can OR you can use as a reloading tray. I've done both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoots100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Add another $400 for reloading tools(bigger shell blocks/bigger powder dispenser/bigger caliper ?/alot of lube,bigger cartridge box's).</div></div>

For Shell Blocks, I use an old one from Cabelas. It's pretty much just a piece of wood with the holes drilled into them, nothing fancy at all.

For Powder Dispenser, I have an RCBS Chargemaster that works wonderfully. If you're still set on using a thrower let me know. I have an older LEE thrower I'm not using.

For Calipers, my 6" calipers work just fine. They're a bit more awkward to use, but they do work.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-mtm-100-round-12-gauge-shotgun-shell-dry-box-42419.html
The 12ga holes fit a 50BMG shell perfectly secure but you'll only be able to fit one 50rd tray in the box at a time. The other tray you can either put in a Plano ammo can OR you can use as a reloading tray. I've done both. </div></div>

Why not use the extra tray as a load block?
Maybe screw in onto a piece of 2x6?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The 12ga holes fit a 50BMG shell perfectly secure but you'll only be able to fit one 50rd tray in the box at a time. The other tray you can either put in a Plano ammo can <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">OR you can use as a reloading tray. I've done both.</span></span> </div></div>

Why not use the extra tray as a load block?
Maybe screw in onto a piece of 2x6? </div></div>

I've used the LEE for a couple of years and I love it for the price. I haven't felt the need for a load block. Once my cases are prepped and primed, I charge and seat the bullet and put it right into an ammo box. I really like Berry's Mfg 10 round slip top boxes. I'm still looking for a good primer pocket cleaner/brush for the 50.

What are you trying to compensate for? I just bought my first big money gun and being Irish I fear the future if you are the ghost of gun future. Awesome rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you trying to compensate for? I just bought my first big money gun and being Irish I fear the future if you are the ghost of gun future. Awesome rifles.

</div></div>
Elaborate on your compensation comment please.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoots100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Add another $400 for reloading tools(bigger shell blocks/bigger powder dispenser/bigger caliper ?/alot of lube,bigger cartridge box's).</div></div>

The 12ga holes fit a 50BMG shell perfectly secure but you'll only be able to fit one 50rd tray in the box at a time. The other tray you can either put in a Plano ammo can OR you can use as a reloading tray. I've done both. </div></div>

Thank you, i appreciate the info. I am pretty set on everything except a press and dies. and the small things like loading blocks that you have helped spin ideas into my grape. So I appreciate the ideas.

my friend, your M82 will shoot 3moa groups at 200y. Dont waste money on accuracy. That word is not synonomous with barret.

FCSA ? eh, i'd keep the 50 bucks, their forums are <span style="text-decoration: underline">DEAD!</span>

dont buy LC once fired brass. That shit is a fucking nightmare to work with. If anyone has ever sat there, and loaded about 800-1000 of those bastards, then you know what im talking about.

CBC magtech is easy to work with. Win is OK , little bit cheaper then CBC, but the primer pockets arent as good.

STAY AWAY FROM RCBS DIES. They suck. Esepecially their FL die. Hornady FL die is superior. CH4 stuff is good to, costs more though.

That dillion shit is for whores, 500 dollars for a fucking die ? that wouldnt group better on paper when compared toa 150 dollar competitor ? why fucking bother ?

oo, and you need allot of lube ? WTF ? no you dont , one can of hornady one shot wax will last you several hundred rounds. And at 3-5 bucks a pop, plus brain-busting concussion blast, ... i dont think lube is an issue. You wont want to fire more then 20 rounds a day.Shit after about 5 i think to myself, i hate this fucking gun.

get API for plinking , that and 230 grains of WC860. Get barnes copper hollow points or lehigh 650 solids if your range/BLM wont allow API. H50bmg is a good powder. Probably the most popular.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my friend, your M82 will shoot 3moa groups at 200y. Dont waste money on accuracy. That word is not synonomous with barret.

FCSA ? eh, i'd keep the 50 bucks, their forums are <span style="text-decoration: underline">DEAD!</span>

dont buy LC once fired brass. That shit is a fucking nightmare to work with. If anyone has ever sat there, and loaded about 800-1000 of those bastards, then you know what im talking about.

CBC magtech is easy to work with. Win is OK , little bit cheaper then CBC, but the primer pockets arent as good.

STAY AWAY FROM RCBS DIES. They suck. Esepecially their FL die. Hornady FL die is superior. CH4 stuff is good to, costs more though.

That dillion shit is for whores, 500 dollars for a fucking die ? that wouldnt group better on paper when compared toa 150 dollar competitor ? why fucking bother ?

oo, and you need allot of lube ? WTF ? no you dont , one can of hornady one shot wax will last you several hundred rounds. And at 3-5 bucks a pop, plus brain-busting concussion blast, ... i dont think lube is an issue. You wont want to fire more then 20 rounds a day.Shit after about 5 i think to myself, i hate this fucking gun. </div></div>

Best response yet........Hands down

I didnt buy the gun for its "known accuracy" I bought it because the guy who bought it new sold it to me for what one can buy a single shot .50 for... His loss, my gain.. I have my trg 338lm for long distance accuracy. It(trg) does everything i can plus a little more. The .50 is purely for fun and destruction when i can hit what I'm aiming at. You are correct why waste the money on a dillon... I think im set on a Hornady press . I want something decent, but i'm really not interested in buying a 800 dollar single die from Dillon..that's just nuts.. i dont care if it was made out of diamonds and pearls...much less carbide...

Thank you for the info and keeping it real. I'm new to the .50 class and i know your practical advice will help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my friend, your M82 will shoot 3moa groups at 200y. Dont waste money on accuracy. That word is not synonomous with barret.

oo, and you need allot of lube ? WTF ? no you dont , one can of hornady one shot wax will last you several hundred rounds. And at 3-5 bucks a pop, plus brain-busting concussion blast, ... i dont think lube is an issue. You wont want to fire more then 20 rounds a day.Shit after about 5 i think to myself, i hate this fucking gun.

get API for plinking , that and 230 grains of WC860. Get barnes copper hollow points or lehigh 650 solids if your range/BLM wont allow API. H50bmg is a good powder. Probably the most popular.
.</div></div>
My friend,thats some Great advice ??? 3 moa groups at 300yds ? Hornady one shot ? FCSA forums dead ? LC brass ? CBC brass ? API for plinking ? This is a joke right ?
I've shot sub moa groups with my M82 at 600 yds and 2-3 moa at 1K.Hornady one shot might work on tiny cases,but it's crap for 50's.The FCSA forums are alive and kicking and worth more than the $50 dollar fee.I've loaded + fired thousands of once fired LC brass and it's good to go,if you buy it from a good source.CBC brass sucks.It's too soft and the primer pockets blow out with regularity.If you want to start fires,use API.The rest of the 50bmg world plinks with ball ammo.I've personally fired over 350 rounds from my M82 in a day and I'm here to write about it.The M82 is one of the least recoiling 50 bmg rifles made.At the Barrett training class,you fire over 100 rounds in a couple of hours.Women attend the class and have no recoil complaints either.
Here's keeping it real.Reloading for the fifty is not to be taken lightly.If done improperly,it will kill you,or someone around you.Buy some loaded ammo and get to the range for some trigger time.Wear body armor and have an ambulance ready.If you survive,you can say you fired a 50bmg and lived to tell about it.Sell the rifle and live happilly ever after.

alive and kicking compared to what ?

those LC primer pockets are downright nasty. You pierced the primer trying to deprimer one of those ? Try fixing that.

CBC is easily avaiable, so is the win stuff. It is soft, i do agree.

you shot 20 shot sub moa at 600y with your m82 ?

not one shot spray , one shot wax , comes in a chewing tobacco can, no good for 50 ? ... you probably never used it.

i never complained about recoil , its the concussion blast that i dont enjoy.

like i said, use lehigh solids or barnes solid copper if you have fire concerns. The ball has a soft steel core which is banned in area that has a fire hazard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoots100</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my friend, your M82 will shoot 3moa groups at 200y. Dont waste money on accuracy. That word is not synonomous with barret.

.</div></div>
My friend,thats some Great advice ??? 3 moa groups at 300yds ? Hornady one shot ? FCSA forums dead ? LC brass ? CBC brass ? API for plinking ? This is a joke right ?
I've shot sub moa groups with my M82 at 600 yds and 2-3 moa at 1K.Hornady one shot might work on tiny cases,but it's crap for 50's.The FCSA forums are alive and kicking and worth more than the $50 dollar fee.I've loaded + fired thousands of once fired LC brass and it's good to go,if you buy it from a good source.CBC brass sucks.It's too soft and the primer pockets blow out with regularity.If you want to start fires,use API.The rest of the 50bmg world plinks with ball ammo.I've personally fired over 350 rounds from my M82 in a day and I'm here to write about it.The M82 is one of the least recoiling 50 bmg rifles made.At the Barrett training class,you fire over 100 rounds in a couple of hours.Women attend the class and have no recoil complaints either.
Here's keeping it real.Reloading for the fifty is not to be taken lightly.If done improperly,it will kill you,or someone around you.Buy some loaded ammo and get to the range for some trigger time.Wear body armor and have an ambulance ready.If you survive,you can say you fired a 50bmg and lived to tell about it.Sell the rifle and live happilly ever after. </div></div>

I had to get a fire lit under some ones ass to write something like this. it was beginning to be more like a fart in a church...Thanks for the information.

What type of press and dies do you recommend? What are good sources for LC brass? and i plan on "plinking" with ball ammo. Not starting Forrest fires.

I bought an accumaxx and am thoroughly impressed with it! I can load standard 7/8 dies and also quickly adapt it to load my 50bmg. Sooo smooth and builds great ammo.
Shes a beauty

Attachments

• img_3633.jpg
    img_3633.jpg
    837.5 KB · Views: 33
  • img_3612.jpg
    img_3612.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
Look under my profile, I started a thread about this a while back and got some good answers. I have a lot of irons in the fire and along with a Dillon 650 a .50BMG setup is in the works too. Now I have the DTA HTI (which would warrant only a single stage press IMHO, as your barrel won't last long enough to make full use of the turret press). But I plan on getting an M2 for shits and giggles with a few spare barrels (everyone needs ONE fun gun, no?). That one does warrant the turret and a linker too. If you're gonna be blasting shit with that M82 the turret may pay off, but if you're gonna work each shot then the single stage may do it for you just fine. I think considering how tough these presses are, how well built, the turret will yield just as good of ammo as the single stage in this instance. Especially if you micro manage your weights and charges.

I've heard the same about RCBS dies --shit. Their single stage press is supposed to be fine though, but there are better there too (though costly). Well, I heard their dies are "okay" for use loading blaster ammo. CH4 and I think is one of the better ones and there's another good die maker that focuses on BMG stuff too (I can't recall --when I get ready to buy I'll look up my thread again). Expect a few hundred per die, expect about $700 if you want a carbide sizing die. They ain't cheap. There's even a dedicated die for priming. Look for folks getting out of .50 --sometimes great deals can be had from them and I've saved hundreds already this way on this site alone in components.

Oh, there is a very fine single stage (co-ax type?) press that isn't in production anymore, if you can find it (I forget the name, it's mentioned in my thread) and all the BMG guys fawn over it, used and in need of repair or not. It's supposedly that good. You do want a good press though, an easy one, because if you've ever even loaded .50 Beowulf on a regular single stage Rock Chucker or whatnot, you'll know that bigger brass is much harder to work without some kind of assisted leverage. BMG I can imagine is only worse.

But for me it came down to RCBS press for single stage and Dillon for turret, and good dies regardless but no carbide (for now anyway). Splurge on the Dillon trimmer, at least that's my solution.

Dillon makes an auto trimmer that fits their press similar to the 650/1050 that should make short work of the BMG brass and you have to figure out a way to trim it anyway. I've had a hard time finding a GOOD trimmer that would be both fast and capable of handling various brass (I wanted a good and fast drill press trimmer, one I didn't have to design or make myself). What I'm likely gonna do regarding trimming is to just get a Dillon trimmer for the 650 and another for the .50. It'll do what I want and fast.

Welcome to the BMG club. While you're get dollared to death over every little iota, you'll find that components and powder are cheaper for the .50 due to supply and demand. Lots of good stuff to choose from when loading .50. Only bad thing is barrels don't last long in 'em... Which is something to consider when planning loads for long term in any weapon.

I've been stocking up on LC. Color me masochistic, but I like the stability/thickness of that brass over just about any other. Yes, pretty much all LC one shot brass is a bitch to work with, regardless of caliber. I'm hoping, however, that my RCBS trim station with the BMG pocket trimmer will work the same magic it does on the rest. Good luck. Loading BMG ain't cheap but likely a helluva lot cheaper than purchasing ammo over the long run and you get LOTS of options regarding bullets.

I'll give you the advice I wish someone would have given me when I bought my first .50 BMG:

Sell it now, minimize your losses, and do something else.

No joke. The .50's are cool on paper, but everything about them is a major pain in the ass. They weigh a ton, cost a small fortune, and really are not much fun to shoot. Most gun clubs/ranges will not allow you to shoot them for various reasons, from public perception, to insufficient backstops. There are countless caliber choices that are much better and more practical for almost any application. Heck, I can shoot better at 1k with my iron sighted Palma rifle from a sling than I can with a .50 for a fraction of the cost. And it's a heck of a lot more enjoyable to do.

At some point not far down the road, you will look at the $10k+ of crap you have tied up in .50 stuff and wonder; "WTF did I get myself into?" Another secret that has to be learned the hard way; they don't hold their value. Your friend likely sold it to you at that price because that's what he could get for it. I've had 3 of them, including 2 pretty nice ones (EDM Windrunner and McMillan Tac-50), and all 3 were sold at a loss after significant time spent languishing on for sale forums. Everybody wants to shoot one, but very few actually want to make the investment. Savvy buyers know this and will not pay you close to new prices for anything. If you get really lucky and catch a buyer going through a midlife crisis you may come out ok, otherwise I can almost guarantee that you will lose money on everything you buy for .50 cal if you ever decide to sell it.

Now, all that being said, they can be fun if you actually have a place to stretch them out, and something fun to shoot at. Cinder blocks, old cars, etc at extended distances would be fun. 1k yards is boring. Paper targets are boring.

The 2 best days in a .50 BMG owner's life:

#2: The day you buy your .50

#1: The day you sell your .50

Good luck!
Erik

Not too many people look north of the border for reloading gear but check out this press.
It was developed in part because they own a 20mm Lahti.

They build high end rifles, have developed their own actions and billet AR lowers.

ATRS ACCU-MAXX? Reloading Press

The 2 best days in a .50 BMG owner's life:

#2: The day you buy your .50

#1: The day you sell your .50

Good luck!
Erik

The best aspect of shooting a .50BMG is shooting someone elses' and throwing them $10 bucks for a few rounds... LOL

what kind of cheek rest do you have on the Barrett 99? how high off the rail is the scope? I have a hard time looking though mine

Last edited: