• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading press

XHODZAX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2009
minnesota
I'm looking for a press to reload 9mm and 40 s&w
i have a press to reload for my rifles
what do you guys recomend
thanks

Re: Reloading press

I run a Dillon 650. If you plan to switch calibers on the same press, the Hornady Lock and Load makes switching calibers easier. But, I love the 650 when it is set up with the case feeder to run very fast.

I run a hornady lnl ap. Runs great, fast, and easy to change caliber

I have had, used and retired 4 progressive presses, if that's what you're looking for. Go Dillon. I have a XL650 with all the bells and whistles. I love it. I am currently using it for 45 acp and 223. But 308 and 40 s&w chaneover kits are on the horizon.

That being said. Unless you shoot a lot of pistol, a single stage press with carbide tipped dies will do a very good job. But for higher volume, a progressive gives you more time to go to the range for practice.

Good luck with your choices.

what do you guys think of lee 1000
it's cheap for less than 200 bucks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xhodzax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do you guys think of lee 1000
it's cheap for less than 200 bucks </div></div>

Crap.

Cry once and get a Dillon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xhodzax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do you guys think of lee 1000

Crap.

Cry once and get a Dillon. </div></div>

I have a Dillon 550

I use it to load 45 acp. I love it. Very simple very reliable. If I get in a hurry I can load 500 rnds an hour. I like the fact that I can setup diffrent heads with powder measures for a fair price and just swap out in 5 min.

My father has a lnl and I told him not to get it and now he knows why. It's hard to find shell plates for it. It costs more. It's unreliable unless cleaned every 200 rnds.

Hornady LnL AP. It has an excellent powder system and auto-indexing. Changeovers are quick, easy and inexpensive (in comparison). They even have the bullet bribe.

i know i like the bullet bribe.
i don't even shoot hornady unless it's in my white oak service rifle so i will go out tonight to cabela's and buy one
they sent me a coupon spend 500 you get 100 off
smile.gif

so i will try to sell those 1000 rounds for 170-200 bucks
and i get the press for 100 total
smile.gif

good deal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xhodzax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do you guys think of lee 1000

They might be OK for 380 or 38 special. I've trashed 4 of them on 9mm and 45 acp. The Dillon XL650 I have was a direct decision based on the Lee Pro 1000s I had had. I wish I had borrowed the money if I had to and bought it YEARS earlier. Less mess, less physical effort, better loads and faster.

While most Dillon machines are made from aluminum castings that have been machined to finish spec's, they are a better quality alloy than the Lees machines. They are also made a bit more robust than the Lee presses.

But you are spending YOUR money. The choice is yours.

Good luck.

i just bought hornady lock and load ap
i will post some comments once i get it going

I've been using 2 Dillon Square Deal Bs, set up for 45 and 9mm.Both have been trouble free for at least 20 yrs as well.
I'm pretty sure they have the same lifetime warranty if these are still available and they cost less than the 550 or 650.

function

If you are really just going to loading pistol, the Dillon Square Deal B is hard to beat. Here are my "three up/three down"

+ Auto Index
+ Compact size/shorter stroke
+ It's a Dillon--the customeer service is not exagerated
- Propriety dies; full cnversion kit with dies, shell plate, tool head etc can add up to a lot more than a $40 "std die" set
- Tool head change is 4 allens screws and about 10 minutes (with a dedicated tool head), small/large primer swap about 5-10 as well
- Powder measure can be finiky with stick/flake powder (but so is the 550)

I really like my 550B, but can really crank out some 45 and 9mm on the SDB. I also have tool heads in 380, 38/357 and 40/10--It just plain works well with all the calibers. I was leary of the propriety dies at first, but used ones are to be found and the new ones are "OK" priced. I pretty much only use the 550B for rifle.

IF you think you are going to get into rifle, then consider the 550B first or accept the fact you may be in the market for another press when you get to that point. Especially with Dillons warranty, used presses are a viable option. I got the SDB and two conversion kit for a great price.

Just my toughts.

ZY

well i got my lock and load all set up
i like it so far
everything looks good
loaded some 9mm-no problems
powder measure throws +- .1 grain
everything seems to work just fine
i would definately buy this machine again