• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Press

scu184

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Illinois, USA
I'm looking at getting started into reloading. Was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Lyman T-Mag II? I will be reloading .308, .223, .40, and .45. Found a great deal on the T-MAg Expert Kit but didn't know how good it would be. Wanted to know where it compared to other presses.

Re: Reloading Press

Lyman used to be much more popular than they are today,for no certain reason.The outfit you are looking at will do you a good job,and probably is as good as any.I personaly would look at RCBS or Redding,as they are more popular,parts and accessories will be easier to get,and resale value will be better.If I could start over,I would get a Bonanza co-ax press.
You might try your luck with the search function,this is ask often,and there is lots of info and lots of old threads.Good Luck with whatever you buy,and welcome to reloading.Oh,and Welcome to The Hide Pete

I think the best single stage reloading press available today is the Forster/Bonanza co-ax press. I've tried RCBS and Redding and they are ok but not as good as the Forster. I dont have any experience with Lyman or know anyone who uses thier products.If I were to go with a progressive press it would be Dillion.

I'll have to say this and duck but I'll say it anyway.

No conventional turret press (Lyman, RCBS, Redding) offers any user advantage over a single stage and does it with the disadvantage of excess spring and some lack of precision in indexing the dies with the ram.

An exception is Lee's Classic Turret press. It has uniquly designed heads that are inexpensive and easy to swap out in seconds, no tools needed. And it has an auto-indexing advance feature that actually helps us load faster than with either a single stage or a standard turret press.

I'm not a particular fan of turret presses, but the Lee Classic Turret (not the deluxe turret) is a very good deal for a very good press, and cabella's and some other mail order outfit (graf's?) have kits built around it.

The Lee Classic Cast single stage is one of the best deals going for an excellent press, and it is compatible with Hornady LNL press conversion kit to use QC bushings on dies if you want. Unfortunately, Lee does not have a kit built around the LCC.

At the other end of the $ scale is the Forster Co-Ax, which is what I use and highly recommend, if it is in your budget.

Redding Big Boss II is also very good, at a price between the LCC and Co-Ax. The Redding UltraMag is about the same $$ as the Co-Ax, and it it a fine press too, but for the cartridges you listed, the co-ax is better suited (the UM is optimized for longer cartridges).

Andy

And if you buy a Co-Ax you won't need to buy shell holders, or a hand priming system, both are built in the Co-Ax, and the Co-Ax has six times the mechanical advantage over any other press.

The Co-Ax is the way to go for a single station press. I have a Rock Chucker, Reddings Ultra Mag and a Co-Ax press, the Co-Ax is the only one still bolted to my bench. They are all well made press's the Co-Ax is just so much faster to use since you only have to set the dies once and then they snap in and out. If you want to load ammo faster or in larger quantities then you can on a Co-Ax get a Dillon progressive.

Chris

I have a T-Mag I use for short runs of .38 Special and a couple other calibers I don't shoot often. IMO the press isn't true enough for loading uber accurate rifle ammo.

+1 For the Forster co-ax, I used to have a rockchucker and I like the forster alot better, My runout went down a good bit and like its been said, you can set the dies once and swap them out at will with no ill effect. It has alot of "Power" to, you will flat ruin a case if things arent right "user error" when sizing and such.

I have not used other presses, after seeing all of 427Cobra's comments I bought a Co-Ax
smile.gif
I must say it works great. I do like how quick you can change dies and the primer retention is really slick. All I can say is if you do buy a Co-Ax you will not regret it.