• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading question

LorenaF

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2012
Bluffton SC
You guys wouldn't mind helping a gal out here would you? I'm new to this site but not to shooting although just starting to reload..
anyway, I have found a good commercial load that my rifle likes, seems like it likes a heavier bullet the Cor Bon with 190 grain SMK. So to work a load off that how do I know what powder to start with? I know all the other varibles and powder weight.

Re: Reloading question

Where in GA? I'm in Newnan, shoot at the West Point range pretty often.

You don't necessarily need to duplicate the same components as that commercial load, but that's a good point to start. Is this a 308? For powder, I'd try Varget or IMR 8208 XBR powder and work up a load from there. Other popular 308 powders are 4895, 2520, and Re15. Nobody complains about the SMK, nothing wrong with sticking with that. Nosler makes proven competition bullets, and I'm a fan of Hornady A-Max (the Match HP is basically a SMK clone, you should try those too).

Well, you can always guess. That kinda sounds wrong in reloading, but 'tis often true. Pull a round apart, measure how much powder is in the case and if it is a ball or stick, look at all the reloading tables published by the powder folks knowing the velocity that you are getting, and then try a powder that is closest - working your way up from under max to whatever works best. Some manufacturers use non-retail powders, so you may only ever be able to get close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanMcIntyre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where in GA? I'm in Newnan, shoot at the West Point range pretty often.

You don't necessarily need to duplicate the same components as that commercial load, but that's a good point to start. Is this a 308? For powder, I'd try Varget or IMR 8208 XBR powder and work up a load from there. Other popular 308 powders are 4895, 2520, and Re15. Nobody complains about the SMK, nothing wrong with sticking with that. Nosler makes proven competition bullets, and I'm a fan of Hornady A-Max (the Match HP is basically a SMK clone, you should try those too). </div></div>

We are pretty far apart I live in SC but work in Savannah GA.
Anywho, what you guys are saying is it makes no diff what powder I decide to use? Dont the different makes of powder burn at different rates? It would make me a little ancy to start guessing especially as a beginning reloader.

What Nelson said about pulling a case and dumping powder, you'll never figure out what it is, unless it's public knowledge.
Your best bet is to buy a reloading manual, I recommend Hornady's. Start from there, look at burn rates, charge weights etc... Being new, guessing shouldn't be an option.

There is a ton of data in the reloading depot to get started also.
Good luck.

LorenaF.....what cartridge are you speaking of? 30-06, 308, mag, etc??? Sounds like you're speaking about .30 cal. Also, what gun, rifling twist, barrel length, etc? DO NOT worry. This is not rocket science. You'll be fine. Btw...women are naturally better shooters than men because they'll do something most men won't do.....listen to proper instruction. Women are not hung up on being macho. Hit me back. We'll get you on track.

thanks for the kind words BGluvr, it is in fact an accurized .308 SPS I think it's a 1-10 twist

oh yes it does have a 20" barrel as well. These bullets I would like to copy are using Lapua brass which seems to me to be top quality cases. Would you guys suggest using the same Lapua cases?

Since you've stated it liked 190gr...it may very well be the case. Is it the factory barrel? Which SPS model? Btw...I'm at work, so I'll be unavaiable for a while. PM me any time.

Yes...Lapua are top notch. You're off to a great start. Sierra MatchKing....great. I shoot Sierra in all my stuff. Catch up later. Btw...beware, there are some real jerks on this site, so don't take offense to what some may say. Later

Much of the info you have received so far is spot on. From my experience Varget (mentioned by a previous poster)tends to work well with all .308 I have seen so far so it would be a good place to start. The mention of Lapua brass earlier is also good advice. I found that good brass not only makes a difference in accuracy but really pays for itself in life span. If readily available in your area I would recommend you try Vihtavouri N150 powder. I cant say I have seen many shooters using it down here but it far out shoots Varget in my rifle which happened to shoot great with Varget for so that should tell you something. Oh and try some Sierra Matchkings in 175gr. They are accurate in .308 all the way out to 1000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltgunluvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes...Lapua are top notch. You're off to a great start. Sierra MatchKing....great. I shoot Sierra in all my stuff. Catch up later. Btw...beware, there are some real jerks on this site, so don't take offense to what some may say. Later </div></div>

Yea I have already found that out, I bought some bullets in the FS section as a Christmas present and then the guy emails me the next day and says he sold them to somone else a few days earlier after we had already made the deal. Well at least there are some guys around here who know how to treat a lady;)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cuffm4615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Much of the info you have received so far is spot on. From my experience Varget (mentioned by a previous poster)tends to work well with all .308 I have seen so far so it would be a good place to start. The mention of Lapua brass earlier is also good advice. I found that good brass not only makes a difference in accuracy but really pays for itself in life span. If readily available in your area I would recommend you try Vihtavouri N150 powder. I cant say I have seen many shooters using it down here but it far out shoots Varget in my rifle which happened to shoot great with Varget for so that should tell you something. Oh and try some Sierra Matchkings in 175gr. They are accurate in .308 all the way out to 1000 </div></div>

I did also order some of the same Cor Bon with the 175's. This rifle doesn't seem to like the lighter 168grain FGMM.. It shoots well enough but my older rifles shoot it much better than this new SPS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LorenaF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are pretty far apart I live in SC but work in Savannah GA.</div></div>
Yeah, that's a bit of a drive for me haha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anywho, what you guys are saying is it makes no diff what powder I decide to use? Dont the different makes of powder burn at different rates? It would make me a little ancy to start guessing especially as a beginning reloader. </div></div>
You have to work up the amount of load anyway, so getting the exact powder type isn't really that important. A manual will show you which powders tend to work best with certain bullet weights and roughly how much to use - that'll get you started.

I have a 308 SPS and it likes heavy bullets too, that's because of the (relatively) fast 1:10 twist. A good load I like for that gun is 45.5gr Varget, CCI 200 primer, 178gr A-Max bullets seated .040" off the lands. You'll find a pet load, just keep asking questions and trying new things. Don't be afraid to experiment or stray from the recipe.

I like Win brass because I can afford replace it more often, and it's never let me down.

I use Sierra, Hornady, and Nosler bullets.

Since you've found good results with the 190 SMK, I'd strongly suggest getting the Sierra reloading manual and reading it through. Of the powders they suggest, I'd suggest using the fast to moderate selections to go with the shorter barrel. Moderate to slower for a signficantly longer barrel.

I'd start with Varget, see how increments between 39 and 41 gr work, and treat 41 as about max. The book will give you more specific choices.

Greg

I have been going over the charts, there are quite a few different loads for the 168 grain but not many for anything over 180. The heavier bullets are longer as well. correct?

One more question, I also want to load .223. Would that same Varget powder work in those as well?

LorenaF

Anything over 180gr in a 308 is getting into a niche territory that is sort of a specialty with limited commercially available data. Heavier <span style="font-style: italic">usually</span> means longer.

Varget will work well in most 223 applications.

Lapua brass is excellent, but expensive. Winchester brass is good and is affordable. I personally don't believe the cost difference is worth it for most applications. But if you've got it already, certainly use it.

I do not have the phone number available right now, but if you call Sierra bullets and talk to one or more of their technicians, you can get a lot of help. Their job is to work up and test load all day. I should be so lucky!
I like the Sierra book, also.

LorenaF

If you have a 1-10 twist you will be able to stabilize just about any weight of bullet you like. The downside is it will over rotate the short bullets some. I was shooting 208gr Amaxs' over Varget out of my 1-10 twist Savage with very good results. I also used Varget with 190gr SMKs.
I would suggest using one of Hodgdon's extreme powders like Varget so you don't have the added variable of different pressures at different temperatures.
If you want to see the relationship of your twist rate and your bullet this is great fun:
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

Many of the bullet lengths are listed on the site after being sent in by nerds such as myself.

It is good to have as many reloading books and such as possible to remove the possibility that the info is wrong from one by cross referencing others(bad info in Lee book for 7mm08 stressed my rifle a tad).
There is plenty of information for 190gr bullets in 308 so there shouldn't be any guessing involved.
You can also use the reloading center as one source:
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Longer bullets require a faster twist to stabilize than shorter ones.

Longer bullets also encroach further into the case, which reduces the capacity, assuming the same overall length.

The longer bullets also have more bearing surface which equals more friction, increasing pressures.

Longer (heavier) bullets also take longer to get moving (inertia), so a slower burning powder gives the bullet a chance to get moving before reaching peak pressure.

If an equal charge of the same powder was used for a 190 SMK as say a 168 SMK, then the pressure of the 190 would be much higher.

Bullets are designed for a specific purpose. Some rifle and bullet combinations work better than others. If two bullets of the same caliber and weight, but differing lengths, were used the longer (more aerodynamic, ie higher ballistic coefficient) bullet would be less affected by wind drift and (assuming the same muzzle velocity) would drop less than the shorter bullet. The increased BC really shows itself as the distance to your target increases. If you are only shooting at shorter ranges, 200 meters or so, then the BC has much less impact as the time of flight is short.

So no, there is nothing wrong with using longer bullets. You pick the load and bullet that will perform for your intended use and test to ensure acceptable accuracy.

I agree with 244. With a longer bullet you are just giving up some speed in exchange for higher BC. It won't shoot as flat, but it also will not be as effected by the wind. It's easier to compensate for drop than wind so if your rifle prefers longer bullets then by all means give it what it likes and ignore anyone who tells you it's too heavy for 308. It's not.
Also, Varget works great for 223 so if you're going to use one powder for both Varget would be a great choice. It is also temperature insensitive.
Personally I believe that Lapua brass is worth the extra money. I was using Lapua palma brass(small rifle primer) and it seemed like it was going to last forever. The only reason I'm not using Lapua anymore is that it's not made in my caliber.

Thanks for all the help and not ridiculing a beginniner. I did see in the load charts how the heavier bullets steadily decreased their powder charge and it kinda works opposite what I would have thought, a heavier bullet requires more powder to get it moving but that makes sense more resistance = higher pressures