• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading retardation!

Gregor.Samsa

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 4, 2019
    NorCal
    So tonight is pent some time trying to be as meticulous as possible loading for an OCW test for my 308. I finally begin to seat the bullets and after 6 rounds, I realized that I was using my 6.5cm seating die! I have the CBTO dialed in correctly but am concerned that I fucked up my runout. I don’t have any gauges to verify runout. Should I pull bullets and start over with new cases or do you think I’ll be ok? Pissed at myself lol. Thanks

Last edited:
    Shoot them and report back.
    AD669E20-5FF6-4AC9-9EE7-29582AFDC418.jpeg

For only 6 rounds I'd tear them down and re-size. Not worth wondering what if.... Those runout gauges really are handy to have. And don't feel too bad, this week I galled the absolute shit out of 10 pieces of new lapua brass and pretty much destroyed the expander mandrel before i realized that, despite having taken out a couple Q-tips and imperial wax, i did not actually lube the case necks before expanding. It happens to the best of us. Good thing you caught it before seating everything.

Thanks fellas. More pissed at myself after spending a lot of time sorting etc. to do something dumb like this. Live and learn.

Just shoot them as fouling shots. I've done this before for an entire round of reloading and they shot just fine. So much for OCW testing, lol.

They were the lowest charge weights which did not shoot as well in a similar load. Testing nosler 175 RDFs vs Hornady BTHPs.

Another option, since you have to set up your correct die anyway, just run them through the proper die AFTER you set it up and load another 6 rounds. I use such ammo for practice, but you will not want to chrony them due to difference in neck tension. The OAL may shrink a little, but will be close enough to shoot. You could also tap them once or twice in a kinetic bullet puller to push them out a little, and then seat in the correct and adjusted die to have them come out correct OAL or as close as possible without pulling. Its not perfect, but you likely won't see a difference for practice ammo. Have had to do this a few times when I overadjusted a seater die. You have to really seat a few bullets anyway to have an idea where the correct setting is as most have enough variation in OAL to throw you off if you start out with a small batch and end up short or long on the average when setting up for a different bullet.

Reactions: Gregor.Samsa