• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Set Up/Trimmer Needed

Lockdown1243

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2011
Georgia
www.overwatcharms.com
Hey guys, I decided to jump in with both feet to reloading and brass processing. I'm starting out with .223 and will be doing some bigger calibers in the very near future. With that said, I am in need of a case trimmer while I'm waiting for another month for the one to my Dillon 1050 to come in. Any suggestions/reviews would be appreciated.

It doesn't have to be a power trimmer since I will have access to one in a month, but having that option would be nice. I will list my current set up as well. Anything else you can suggest that I add to my gear would be appreciated.

Dillon Super 1050
RCBS Chargemaster
Lyman Case Prep Station w/VLD Chamfering Tool
Hornady Vibratory Tumbler
Hornady Calipers
Media Seperator
RCBS Precision Mic
Hornady Headspace Gage w/Bullet Comparator
Primer Turning Tray
Funnel
Bullet Trays

Re: Reloading Set Up/Trimmer Needed

Little Crow, W. F. T.; If you've got $70 bucks and a power drill, you're good to go.

Have you reloaded before? Or is this your first go at it? Cause if its your first time reloading I would STRONGLY suggest getting your feet under you with a single stage press. It is very easy for a begginer to get lost on a progressive. Even with my dillon I still find my single stage better for development and then setting up my progressive. I'd hate to see you invest the kind of cash you're talking about end up frustrated trying to learn AND set up a 1050. Just a thought.

I'm partial to the Lee case trimmer. Easy... accurate... use in your corded/cordless power drill and its also fast.

I have a Forster and I really don't like the collet style case holders like the Forster has. It's a pain and takes too long to get the case set properly when the trimmer is flat on the bench. The only way I can get it to sit right is pick the trimmer up vertically so when I set the case in the collet the case is vertical and the base of the case sits flat on the collet. If it wasn't for that I would love it.

Trimming was always the most painful part of the reloading process. Once I got the Giraud trimmer, I trim every time without the dread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phearkno1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you reloaded before? Or is this your first go at it? Cause if its your first time reloading I would STRONGLY suggest getting your feet under you with a single stage press. It is very easy for a begginer to get lost on a progressive. Even with my dillon I still find my single stage better for development and then setting up my progressive. I'd hate to see you invest the kind of cash you're talking about end up frustrated trying to learn AND set up a 1050. Just a thought. </div></div>

I have been loading with a friend of mine for a while. I plan on getting a single stage for load development as well. I am using the Dillon to process/load large quantities of "burner" ammo. Have you had problems with powder getting thrown out of the case while loading on the dillon?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lockdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been loading with a friend of mine for a while. I plan on getting a single stage for load development as well. I am using the Dillon to process/load large quantities of "burner" ammo. Have you had problems with powder getting thrown out of the case while loading on the dillon? </div></div>

You should be good to go on a progressive then, I just had to ask. I have a dillon xl650 and I haven't had a major problem with powder coming out of the case. That being said When I get done loading 1000 or more rounds of 45 acp there is a little bit of powder (10-20 flakes) on the press, but thats so little its insignificant to me. Have you seen other wise? and if so what round was being loaded?

Went with a 1050 and all the bells/whistles for my first ever press. Absolutely love it. Dont be put off by the fear mongering - you do not have to be Werner Von Braun to run it but it is reloading so you have to respect the process (NOTE - if you dont know who Werner Von Braun is get a single stage). I load .45 ACP, .38 spcl, 30-06 right now. .308 coming soon.

I use a rapid trim for processing my 30-06. There are some tweaks to get everything going smooth. Brian Enos Forum is a gold mine for things Dillon. Dont hesitate to PM if you have questions.

I think you could also look into a dillion precision trim setup... There's a good video on youtube " High volume 223 on a Hornaday LNL press " shows a good example on a LNL of how it all would work. Probably the way I'll go unless someone points out some good reasons otherwise. Good luck

use the RCBS Xdie small base, you won't need to trim brass.

Thanks a bunch for all the tips guys! I went with the Wilson trimmer for my precision loads for my DMR gun. So far about 100 rounds in, and it trims to spec every time. The micrometer adjustments on it are fantastic. Just got an e-mail notification from Dillon yesterday saying the motor shipped. Welcome and unexpected news!!

Hi-

In regards to your question about powder getting thrown out of the case while loading on the Dillon this is caused by a ball bearing and spring under the shell plate. The spring is applying to much pressure on the ball bearing causing the shell plate to accelerate forward. If you want to fix this issue you can remove the shell plate, ball bearing and spring and slowly cut the first coil of the spring and re-assemble. Continue to work your way up the spring until you have the desired tension on the shell plate where it’s not splashing powder.

I am sure there are a number of videos on YouTube that talks about this and further shows how to fix this issue. You can also use a thrust bearing and the respective washers. I believe the Timken part number is NTA-815. I was about to order these but instead of paying $11 it was just easier to cut back the spring.

Best

Addressing powder coming out of the case I can offer a few tips I have gotten from Dillon as well as some others when I asked the same question.

1. A solid bench and mount makes the operation of the press smoother.

2. Static electricity can build up if your press is not grounded.

3. Wiping your powder measure and shell plate with a dryer sheet also helps to remove residual static.

4. Smooth operation of the handle reduces powder jumping out of a case as well.

I do a lot of reloading for cowboy shooting and Trailboss is awful for trying to escape from case mouths. The above list helped a lot. I also keep a couple of cans of compressed air handy to help keep things clean.

On a 1050 loading 5.3 grns W231 (.45ACP), 2.9 grns W231 (.38 SPCL), 47-48 grns IMR 4095 (30-06)there are no issues with powder jumping out of the case. I dont have experience with any other calibers.

I use a powder check and I did note the powder check would pull grains of powder out of the case but I mirror polished the brass sensor and there have been no further problems.

After a good 500-800 round loading session I note some "residual" flakes of 231 on the shell plate that fell from the powder measure. Loading stick powder rifle Varget tended to "leak" the most. IMR 4895 surprised me by "leaking" the least. IMR 4064 was in between. I think I can improve on this issue next time I load rifle with better technique pulling the handle.

What my buddy and I have noticed with .223 in paticular is when the shell plate indexes, it will sometimes throw powder out of the case. Slowing down the upstroke seems to fix the problem and keeps the shellplate from "slamming" home. Slow is Fast and Fast is Smooth in this case I guess......

Powder splash is a 650 problem, it's probably something you won't see on the 1050. It has to deal with the shell plate, spring and ball bearing. That being said I think it's normal to see some residual powder on the Dillon presses, a product of the design of Dillons Powder Bar.

This video should give you a better idea of what I am talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L7CPypGlDo&feature=related

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a 1050 loading 5.3 grns W231 (.45ACP), 2.9 grns W231 (.38 SPCL), 47-48 grns IMR 4095 (30-06)there are no issues with powder jumping out of the case. I dont have experience with any other calibers.

I use a powder check and I did note the powder check would pull grains of powder out of the case but I mirror polished the brass sensor and there have been no further problems.

After a good 500-800 round loading session I note some "residual" flakes of 231 on the shell plate that fell from the powder measure. Loading stick powder rifle Varget tended to "leak" the most. IMR 4895 surprised me by "leaking" the least. IMR 4064 was in between. I think I can improve on this issue next time I load rifle with better technique pulling the handle. </div></div>

I have a Lyman Universal trimmer I converted to chuck up in my Dewalt. That works pretty good for what it is. After doing 1k .223 cases on it I shelled out the coin for a Giraud. The Lyman is much quicker to set up if I'm only trimming a few cases, so I still use it.