• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading worth it?

Reloading adds a great element to shooting. You can cut cost by about 40% on crap ammo, and if you are interested in top accuracy reloading can't be beat. Even within reloading you can take things from simply rebuilding the shot rounds to tuning the rounds for your rifle. For my bolt gun I take things to the absolute extreme precision-wise. Part of this is based on the lack of reloading components and the extra time I now have.

I still reload from an economic standpoint, I couldn't afford to shoot if not. Box ammo for the cartridges I shoot are way high. And at $600.00+ for a case of .223, no way.
I remember buying a couple cases of PMC .223 years ago, paid $162.00 plus tax from a guy who had a "great deal", I was pissed at the price!
With all the gear I've purchased, and as much as I shoot, have I saved money, NO. Back to first sentence.

This is the age old question that will never receive an answer everyone agrees on.

For me, reloading gives me $0.10 per round 9mm ammo when nobody can buy new, or if they can it's $0.50 per round (or more). With my .223 ammo, I have $0.16/round ammo, again when there's none on the local shelves or online sites at any price. When it is available some costs as much as $1/round. .308 costs me about $1.30 per round using NEW Lapua Brass with Lapua Bullets. After firing that brass one time my per round cost drops to less than $0.60 per round. That's "Match Grade" ammo which compares with the old costs of almost $2 per round when it was available.

Time? I'll bet that everyone who says "it depends on how much you value your time" wastes enough time each week to reload any ammo they might need or want.

I prep brass in small quantities as I have a few minutes or while watching the evening news. If your need is only a small amount then your investment in equipment would be small as well. If you shoot huge quantities of ammo (I go through over 3K of .308 per year alone) then naturally the investment is a lot more. I load a thousand rounds of 9mm in just over an hour and 600 rounds if .223 per hour using a Dillon 650. I not only have ammo today but the savings has more than paid for my equipment.

Just like anything else, one needs to survey their requirements and do a cost/benefit analysis if money is all that matters. No need to buy a Dillon 650 if all you do is shoot a couple of boxes per year, mostly hunting ammo.

The next thing is to stop being paranoid over hazmat fees. Order enough at one time and it's only a small amount per "unit" which is more than offset by the savings in product price. I order once per year and make sure I do so before any "Election". Last time I even got "Free Hazmat" because I ordered enough powder.

I have no doubt reloading saves money and you will always have ammo by doing so. That is assuming you keep up with your supplies. I started reloading because I needed obsolete ammunition. I have Wincheter 1886 lever guns in 40-82, 50-110, and 45-70. The ammo was going for $60-$80 a box of 20 for the 40-82 and th 50-110. Then I started reloading 300 Remington Ultra Magnum. Try finding a good price on that caliber. In addition to what I have listed above, I now reload 375 Cheytac, .45ACP, 45LC, 44 magnum, .270Win, 32-20, 5.56 and .308.

You have to buy everything in bulk. I always buy brass in lots of 1000. Buy bullets in bulk as well. If you are one of those that buy small lots, you will always lose. Always buy powder in 5-pound or larger containers. Understand that depending on how hot you load your ammo, will depend on how many times you can reuse the brass. That is where you SAVE THE MOSTon your ammo. Be frugal. I went to an M1911 operators course a few months ago. I told the range guy I wanted to pickup my brass. He said I could have it all from everyone if I wanted it. We shot for 2 days. I brought 2-home depot buckets and walked away with about 13 thousand pieces .45 ACP brass. I don't see me buying any for years if ever. That is how you have to look at reloading. I bought 2000 Sierra 175 gr for my .308 a few months ago. I am glad I did as everyone knows how hard that specific ammo is to come by these days. I always have ammo. To me, that is what matters.
I agree with the other posts that state you should buy top of the line equipment. You want reloading to be easy and produce so you will be inclined to do the job. I started with a Lee Progressive 4-stage reloader and now have 3 different presses. I have a Dillon XL650 for most of the calibers and a Redding Big Boss II for the .375 Cheytac. I still use the Lee Progressive 4 stage for my obsolete Winchester loads. More time consuming but that is the nature of reloading that type of ammunition.

Last edited:
It's barely worth loading 223 carbine ammo. Brass 223 ammo can be had for less than 30¢ each. If you don't reload, just use Wolf steel case, and its much less.

It's barely worth loading precision 308 ammo, when you can get FGMM 175 for $19/box...

id love to get .308 for 20 bucks... where do you buy it and is it possible in Alaska?

Thank you,
Sounds like I need to already buy an additional press for the 308 even before I start,,,
Glad I have a large bench
Just need to remove those MEC 9000s
Not shooting a lot of trap lately ( and have roughly 10-12 flats ready to go for the gauges I shoot)
But this hand gun rifle Addiction is already out of hand...... So HAPPY about that
Have a nice weekend
John

Reloading is another hobby in and of itself. If you have time and the $$$ to pay for stuff upfront then my answer is a simple, "yep."

Last edited:
Gtg on the 550 :) but if you are at all into accuracy on the 308 and use long grain powder, either use it as a turret press and toss the powder drop, or get a Single stage for the special rounds.

Sent from my iPhone

Jt

Or use a powder that meters well in the dillon powder measure. I am finding CFE223 to be a good powder, not only for it's metering qualities but accuracy as well in my .308.

If one wants to weigh each charge with their 550, just get the powder funnel adapter and funnel for the powder drop station. Just remember to only pour powder with the ram in the up position. Lots faster than a turret. I do this even on my 650 when I use the "rat turd" powders.