reloading?

BruntBronze

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2019
whats the consensus for learning to shoot better? Reloading precision for me is more expensive than crates of ammo. i have my 65 creedmoor for training, 65 WSM for fun, and a new 300 prc 60% done.

or should i train on a ar platform?

Memberberries

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2018
If you have limited time each week to spend on firearms related stuff and can afford to just buy ammo, you're better off spending it behind the rifle.

That said I reload because I can get better reloads than I can afford to buy as loaded ammo, also I load for odd calibers like my 257 Ocelot.

TheOfficeT-Rex

Not a good shottist
PX Member
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2019
    257 Ocelot
    Ok, you got me. I google'd that. Are you getting advertised velocities out of it? 3200 out of a necked up 223 case sounds ambitious.

On topic-
    Just don't think you can reload to save money. If you're getting the accuracy you need out of factory offerings, there's very little added benefit for you.

Reactions: Memberberries

SalomonQST99

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 19, 2020
    Ok, you got me. I google'd that. Are you getting advertised velocities out of it? 3200 out of a necked up 223 case sounds ambitious.

On topic-
    Just don't think you can reload to save money. If you're getting the accuracy you need out of factory offerings, there's very little added benefit for you.
    You won't save money, but it will allow you to shoot more with better customized ammunition.

Reactions: Memberberries

Matt_KJ

It’ll buff
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 27, 2019
    The Green Mountain State
    IMHO, reloading is a long dark hole. There’s always another piece of equipment or trinket that makes your life easier or allows you to spend less time at a bench and more time out shooting.

With today’s reamers you can call around and have a barrel cut for factory ammo and have the same results.

Can you dial in a load? Sure, but how much time and money are you willing to throw at it?

Memberberries

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 8, 2018

On topic-

I was able the speeds they have posted but I like the groups with sierra 90gr gamekings which settle in at a node at about 2975 out of my 18" ar barrel. I haven't run any 75gr to go for 3200 though.

I agree that reloading won't generally save you money unless you shoot an odd caliber with really expensive factory loads. It's another aspect of the hobby that you have to do because you want to not because it's cheaper.

gunsnjeeps

Retired Swab Jockey
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 15, 2009
    Norfolk, Va
    Depends on ammo price. Even 5.56 is 75 cents to a buck plus a round normally for good ammo. (Razor core Mk262, BHA Match, FGGM). Before COVID/Riots/Biden; 3 cents a primer, 9 cents for powder, 33 cents for a 77 gn SMK, 42 cents to reload a round. I'm still loading at 24 cents a round but loading from components I bought between, 6 and 15 years ago, MK118LR copy was in the 47 cent range.

Pros: better ammo, more ammo for the price, used to be able to add availability.
    Cons: when did a box of 77gn SMKs go up to $165?, time to load about 20 hours for 1000 rounds (equipment dependent), component availability.

I have agreed with one shooter who said buying ammo gave him family time because of his work schedule. I laughed at the guy who said he made enough that loading ammo cost him money because his time (based on hourly income) was worth more than he saved.

Bottom line is that it is a decision you need to make knowing that you will buy equipment in the future that will save time. So you can break even on an amount of ammo, but when you buy more new equipment it has to earn its keep. For example 650 #2 with a Mr. Bulletfeeder will have to make about X quantity of rounds to break even at $775 for 1000 rounds. (.45 ACP Match ammo went up from $520 a 1000 a few years ago to $775 in February, so 77.5 cents a round.) Mix of new and used for $1200 machine plus component cost I don't have in front of me. I'll update it in a little bit.

supraguy88t

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 2, 2019
    TX
    For me reloading is another hobby all by itself. Don't do it for the money savings because by the time you tool up you are better off just buying ammo BUT, I believe I produce better ammo for my gun specifically and more importantly can product ammo when I need it rather than having to go find it on a shelf.

accurate obsession

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 8, 2017
    If your "crates" of factory ammo meet your accuracy expectations, go for it. I never liked being held to the mercy of the factory QC department. Rimfire ammo drives me nuts.

DocRDS

Knows Nothing
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 21, 2012
    Texas
    Reloading gives you options and another hobby. Try finding 200+ gr 300 win mag ammo, even in good times--its all 180. 308 in 175/185 with barnes or berger bullets. And those are popular calibers.

In good times match ammo is about a break even prospect--but of course you are limited to factory offerings.

Right now--yeah supplies are tight, but once you get primers--no ammo shortage at my house. No Varget/Retumbo but my IMR4064 is doing me good and I even snagged some 4350 for my new creed. Patietence and any bullet I have wanted wanders in to stock.

I found 308 Lapua brass at Cabelas.....

Skookum

Jack Booted Thug...Crushing the American Dream
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • May 6, 2017
    If you have limited time each week to spend on firearms related stuff and can afford to just buy ammo, you're better off spending it behind the rifle.

That said I reload because I can get better reloads than I can afford to buy as loaded ammo, also I load for odd calibers like my 257 Ocelot.
    What is the difference between the 25 Ocelot and the 25 TCU?

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    whats the consensus for learning to shoot better? Reloading precision for me is more expensive than crates of ammo. i have my 65 creedmoor for training, 65 WSM for fun, and a new 300 prc 60% done.

or should i train on a ar platform?
    Sell everything except the 6.5 Creedmoor, set aside enough cash for one or two training courses, then blow the rest of it on ammo.

BadDogPSD

Better make it a double
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
    Apr 29, 2010
    Reno, NV
    With PRIME & Hornady match ammo being so good, I'd spend the $$ on some good training.
    Also dry practice/dry fire will make you a better shooter once you know you are doing things correctly.

supraguy88t

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 2, 2019
    TX
    With PRIME & Hornady match ammo being so good, I'd spend the $$ on some good training.
    Also dry practice/dry fire will make you a better shooter once you know you are doing things correctly.
    this is very true. knowing what I know now I would have taken more training early on. If you are good at reloading your ammo can be better than the factory stuff but practice and training is better us of time

Memberberries

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 8, 2018
    What is the difference between the 25 Ocelot and the 25 TCU?
    Mostly I think just overall length and the shoulder is maybe different. I'm having a hard time finding much online about the 25 tcu but I guess the Ocelot isnt much different. The TCU seems to be 2.5" which doesn't really fit in an AR mag.

Skookum

Jack Booted Thug...Crushing the American Dream
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • May 6, 2017
    Mostly I think just overall length and the shoulder is maybe different. I'm having a hard time finding much online about the 25 tcu but I guess the Ocelot isnt much different. The TCU seems to be 2.5" which doesn't really fit in an AR mag.
    The case is what makes the cartridge. Overall length depends on any number of variables.

SmartDonkey

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 18, 2018
    Reloading has saved me so much money.... The initial investment takes some time to pay off but does. People make it more complicated and expensive than it needs to be-, they buy way to many bullets and powders to try. And then they are always doing load development and switching things around.

I've had a few barrels that are difficult (and tried some temperamental bullets) but most of the time I get an excellent load with trying 1 bullet and 1 powder- and then just a few tests to tweak it from there. And you don't have to go into all the crazy things either....

When you could buy 223 for .30 cents it wasn't worth the time so I just used factory and saved brass.... But when you are getting into the $1.50 to $3 each you save money fast.

Reactions: Loner