• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

REM. 597 VTR VS. 10/22 QUESTION

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
was at the store the other day and seen a 597 remington vtr, which is a regular 597 dressed up to simulate an ar-15.

it caught my eye, is it worth it or go with a 10/22?

for those of you guys that have experience with both, which one seems the better rifle (accuracy, durability, options, value for the $)

Re: REM. 597 VTR VS. 10/22 QUESTION

I had a 597...I can tell you I thought it was a pos.MULTIPLE trigger problems, feeding problems, and the accuracy wasn't anything to brag about.I would get the 10/22.

I saw one of these at a gander mountian. $399 seemed like a decent price while the S+W 15/22 was $499. I liked the S+W layout better but the Remington seemed to be more solid. I'm wondering the same question myself. Which one would be a better one ot go with. A bonus for the Remington is that magazines are cheap and more plentiful. The S+W can use AR trigger parts and comes with a rail? Not really sure what I'd hang on a 22 but still could be kind of nice just in case.

You would have more options for accessories with the 10/22 than you would with the 597 VTR. I have never had any experience with the reliability of the 597 22lr, only with the 22 mag version. If you want a 22 that looks like the AR go with the S&W. I saw rhem on sale this weekend at J Floyd's Sporting goods in Pigeon Forge, TN. They had a bunch of extra mags on hand for $19.95 each too. I would have bought one if I didn't already have one.

My 597 was absolute junk. Would not feed to save it's life. I tried all the RFC fixes, bought new mags, and still couldn't get it to run. Eventually it tried killing me by firing OOB, and I decided that was enough for me, and it got trashed.

There are deals out there to be had on 10/22's, and I'd say the difference (if any) in money spent vs. the two would be quickly forgotten after the first range trip.

Listen to the above the 597 is crap, mags are shit and they jam constantly. I bought one in .22 mag then I was given one in .17hmr and .22LR all three were terrible inconsistent junk, and i like Remington's. The mags they use are terrible, somebody was making a single stack that really improved function and reliability but I never tried one.

Maybe I just got lucky but my Rem597 22mag functions flawlessly and is reasonably hunting accurate.

For rimfire only areas it is my go to hog/coyote gun.

Changed out the hammer and added a weaver v1-3 = perfect

well, this made up my mind that the 597 is a no-go. I'll pass on it myself and I'll most likely go with a SW-15/22. Not sure about TOP PREDATOR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, this made up my mind that the 597 is a no-go. I'll pass on it myself and I'll most likely go with a SW-15/22. Not sure about TOP PREDATOR.</div></div>

thinkin i'll go with the tried and true 10/22. i'll probably stick it in a ati, tapco, or christie stock to give it the "look"

i had one many moons ago, shouldn't have sold it, just wondering how it went against the remington...

thanks

I picked up a couple 10/22's a couple weeks ago, TP. One for me & one for my son. The standard birch stock carbine model. We ordered some TSR200 Aperture Tech-Sights for them, (should be here today we're hoping), added an Allen 1 1/4" sling after installing the swivel bases, and I feel we have the proven rifle for our shooting wants & needs in this set up over the Remington 597.

I admit I'm not very keen on Remington semi-auto .22's after the 522 Viper junk they put out back in the '90's, so maybe I'm still smarting over that a bit.

I do feel that the Ruger 10/22 has the reputation of being a quality semi-auto .22 rimfire that is very dependable, especially when using the Ruger rotory magazine. I picked up 10 extra of those when I ordered these rifles.

Now if we can get some decent weather (had close to 20 inches of snow this past Wednesday through Friday), we can get those aperture sights on (if the come today) and get back out to the Range.

So far all we've gotten done with these rifles is to check and make sure all the magazines functioned and cycled well through these rifles, and they performed flawlessly!
smile.gif

I too, had a horrible experience with a 597 in 22LR. There is a pretty large following for them on Rimfire Central so maybe Rem fixed some of the problems. I don't know.

One thing I do know. If you have a 10/22 get a <span style="font-weight: bold">firm grasp on your billfold</span>. The little rat guns have a habit of stealing way more money than almost any other rifle!
shocked.gif

Come on, Pete, it's not so bad: KID barrel $160-200, KID trigger $300, Stock $0-400, glass- sky's the limit. Fun: priceless!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeteCamp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too, had a horrible experience with a 597 in 22LR. There is a pretty large following for them on Rimfire Central so maybe Rem fixed some of the problems. I don't know.

One thing I do know. If you have a 10/22 get a <span style="font-weight: bold">firm grasp on your billfold</span>. The little rat guns have a habit of stealing way more money than almost any other rifle!
shocked.gif
</div></div>. So true it starts out small a trigger job then the next thing you know you have $1200.00 in a $200.00 gun!!! But when you can go to a match and beat out Annies, HRs, & 40xs well it's worth it.

If you want to simulate an ar15 why not just slap something along the lines of a spikes upper on a standard lower?
Lotta fun and cheap practice for its bigger brother.

Ruger is making a SR22 which is a 10/22 in a nordic frame which usins AR buttstock and forgrips. Check out rugers site.

I'm prejudiced. I've owned, built, and sold more 10/22's than I have fingers and toes. They're like popcorn, can't put 'em down.

I have also shot my Buddy's 597 extensively with many different ammos.

As basic rifles, they are pretty comparable; but for getting more serious and hopping them up, the 10/22 pulls out ahead, far and away.

Greg