• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 5R .223 ammo to start with?

nfngun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2011
NY
OK so my 5R is on its way ... What factory ammo should i start with i was going to go with blackhills but dont know what grain to begin with, does it matter for brake in or will 40g federal from wally world do fine for break in... I want to do it right for max performance and longevity.

Re: Rem 5R .223 ammo to start with?

SWammo, Copper Creek, BH's and Hornady.

1 of these is almost a given to shoot lights out.

Im in exactly the same position as you, 5R .223 is on order and I should have it by the end of the month. I'm going to run Norma 53gr soft points for use on varmints and then save the brass for my reloads. I can buy the norma ammo for about the same price as norma unprimed brass

I get great results out of my 5R .223 using remanufactured Black Hills 69 grain SMKs. About .75 moa or so at 200 yards.

For cheap plinking at steel I use American Eagle 55 grain. That is around 1 to 1.25 moa upto 300 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK so my 5R is on its way ... What factory ammo should i start with i was going to go with blackhills but dont know what grain to begin with, does it matter for brake in or will 40g federal from wally world do fine for break in... I want to do it right for max performance and longevity. </div></div>

My son's rifle started off as a 20" Rem 5R .223. We had very good results shooting the Southwest Ammunition 69 SMKs. You can find them here and they are a Hide vendor.

http://www.southwestammunition.com/category_s/59.htm

well I don't know mine has olny had reloads in it from day one.but I will say that a 69gn bullet ( NCC ) running around 3000 fps gets the job done for me.they make one little ragged hole at 100 and shot 1.5 at 300.so I guess if your 5R has a 24 inch barrel I would look for somehing that runs around 3000 fps with a 69gn bullet.

my rifel will all so shoot a 75gn berger vld really well.but again I have only reloaded for my rifel.

So general consensus 55-75 frriday cant get here fast enought.

I'd suggest 70gr Berger VLDs from McCour Munitions but I'm biased.

Drop me a PM, I'll get you hooked up.

I mostly shoot Black Hills red box 77-gr SMK with mine. At first I was worried that the 1/9 twist wouldn't stabalize the 77's, but so far so good. Best 100-yard 5-shot group so far is 0.33", and have shot steel out to 800-yards with it.

I just got some of the same ammo, but with 69-gr SMKs, and will try them out this weekend if the weather cooperates.

One thing I do notice, my groups start to open up if I don't clean the bore more often then I generaly do as with my 308's.

have had great luck w/ hornady's 53gr. v-max for prairie dogs. Try it on 26.5 gr of H335 seated .007 off the lands. If that doesn't work back it down .5 gr at a time in most rem 223.s that load does well. Don't think anyone is loading the bullet in factory ammo yet.... but with a B.C. of .29, you get a great compromise of good velocity(usually about 3250) reasonable wind drift resistance, a forgiving load, and great terminal performance.....without undue pressures or a terrible price tag(about $17 per 100). This bullet has done well for me in 8 twist, 9 twist and may be the best bullet out there (imo) for 12 twist barrels. Hope this helps