• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 5R difference between FGMM and Prvi (pic)

dbsinh2o

SSgt
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
VA & RI
Left target is 168 gr Federal Gold Medal Match. Right target is Prvi Partizan 175 gr Match.

Targets were shot left to right, top to bottom, alternating every 5 rounds. Identical conditions.

Guess this pretty much underscores the importance of using good quality ammo.

5R110918.jpg

Re: Rem 5R difference between FGMM and Prvi (pic)

My experiences are very similar, thanks for posting this.

It's too bad that more people won't read this.
Some spend a ton of money on a rifle/scope, etc., and won't spend any extra on good ammo.
confused.gif

I had the same results with my 5R. I was trying to zero her in with some Honaday because I couldn't find FGMM. Drove myself crazy until I picked up some FGMM and now everything's under 1 MOA. Worth every penny.

Any luck with black hills? Seems like FGMM has become the standard of factory ammo for these rifles, but I know each rifle has a slightly different appetite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's too bad that more people won't read this.
Some spend a ton of money on a rifle/scope, etc., and won't spend any extra on good ammo.
confused.gif
</div></div>
+1,
I agree, I can't count how many posts I have read about someone trying to shoot small groups with crap ammo.
SScott

I guess that settles what I need to order for my 5R that's on the way.

You get what you pay for
Thanks for the pics

Thanks for the pictures. My CZ 550 Varmint has similar result with similar ammo. American Eagle 150 vs Prvi 168. AE 150 is better from my experience, my best 3 shot result is .46" at 200 yards with the AE 150.(Yes, it's .46 inch @ 200 yards). I never use FGMM, so don't know the performance. But I do know the price of the FGMM is expensive, almost 30% more than american eagle and Prvi. If money is a consideration, American Eagle is a better alternative within 200 yards.

I realized this almost 20 years ago when I worked in a gun shop. I did similar tests and would post targets indicating the results thinking customers would catach a clue. Some did but a majority always knew better than me and wondered why their gun wouldn't shoot.

Your experience with the 5R and FGMM 168 mirrors what I saw yesterday with my son's rifle.
The 5R is probably the best stick in the entire Remington lineup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M700Love</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got the ppu to group tighter than I did. </div></div>

I second that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M700Love</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got the ppu to group tighter than I did. </div></div>

I second that. </div></div>

+1

ok, but what kind of hunting round groups will it shoot? I want to use mine to deer hunt with. can the FGMM b used for deer?

+1, my best five shot with Prvi was way worse.

-Travis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M700Love</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got the ppu to group tighter than I did. </div></div>

No kidding. That Prvi turned me AIAE into a shotgun. Looked like somebody was shooting buckshot on my target.

Even though the groups with FGMM are awesome.....the other ones ain't exactly that bad....

I was looking at Prvi ammo last night in 168 just to have it for position shooting at 100 yards. After thinking about how much it still would cost, and that I am about to load 500 rounds of 308 hand-loads, I decided to pass.

I didn't expect it to shoot great groups, but it was still too expensive to justify it for position shooting. Not when I hand-load.

Regards,
Greyson

Thanks for posting, good shooting. Food for thought; my groups doubled/tripled if not more by switching from FGMM 168gr to FGMM 175gr. Does that gun shoot any factory loaded 175gr's well?
I'm just curious as to why my gun is such a freak, may be me.
Edit, my POI with the 175's also moved a few inches to the right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RICE ETR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does that gun shoot any factory loaded 175gr's well?</div></div>

Have not tried FGMM 175's yet. The Prvi shoots okay, but I think I'll run the rest of it through my M1A.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RICE ETR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for posting, good shooting. Food for thought; my groups doubled/tripled if not more by switching from FGMM 168gr to FGMM 175gr. Does that gun shoot any factory loaded 175gr's well?
I'm just curious as to why my gun is such a freak, may be me.
Edit, my POI with the 175's also moved a few inches to the right.
</div></div>

Did your POI just change dramatically or did the groups grow in size?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigmike2121</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok, but what kind of hunting round groups will it shoot? I want to use mine to deer hunt with. can the FGMM b used for deer? </div></div>

Yes and hogs too.

If you're worried go for head shots or try the Hornady a-max

My 5R wasn't fond of the Amax's, but likes the FGMM and loves 168 grain Berger handloads. Amazing accuracy from a factory rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Did your POI just change dramatically or did the groups grow in size? </div></div>

Both...

FGMM 168gr
2011-09-10_14-35-48_245.jpg

FGMM 175gr, was aiming for square on left.
2011-09-10_13-09-52_460.jpg

Lastly, SW's 175's, aiming for square on left (huge improvement but nowhere close to the 168's)
2011-09-10_14-56-29_563.jpg

wow that is crazy! I haven't found anything that won't shoot good out of my 5r yet. Guess it is 168's for you!

My experience with Prvi Partizan 175 gr Match in my 5R mirrors the OP's. I finally figured out that the open base FMJ bullets might be the problem, so I made some "Mexican Match" out of it by pulling the factory bullets and recorking with SMK 168s. Huge improvement. 1/2-3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Not up to FGMM performance, but much better than the 1 1/2-2" patterns I was getting with the fctory loads.

Great Post. I shot some prvi's this past spring and I thought I was just having a bad day. Back to fgmms and quickly realized why they are the standard.
Thanks Again. "TAGGED"

thanks for the post im going to look into these

I have some of the cheap PRIVI 145gr FMJs I got just to play with in my M1As (and to see if the brass is worth anything). Shoots 3-4" groups in the accurized M1As - pretty disappointing.

Then I tried the PPU for sighting in the scope on my new GAP and got about the same results. Switched to FGMM and some SW ammo and groups instantly shrunk just like yours.

The only redeeming factor will be if the brass is any good, in which case the ammo was darn near free compared with the price of new brass - $0.41 for the ammo vs $0.37 for new Win brass.