• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 5R extract issues

Sgt_Jamez

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2009
Carmichael, CA
My 5R doesn't always extract on the first attempt. Usually if I close the bolt again it will then pull the case out. It doesn't seem like the case is sticking, but more like the extractor isn't locking onto the rim or something. Anything I can do about it?

Re: Rem 5R extract issues

I'm not totally familiar with the 5R but if it uses the normal sheet metal extractor all 700s use then I would think about replacement.Your best option is a Sako style replacement it must be installed by a smith that knows his machine tools you will not be sorry I think it is the best made today.

I've heard of people getting the mod done, and I will get with my local smith. Is this an involved install?

I put one on one of my 700s and its not too bad, the set up is tricky and I had to use all carbide tools. I think it took like 1/2 an hour to do the actual work on the bolt, not including the time I spent making the jig I used to set it up in the mill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt_Jamez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 5R doesn't always extract on the first attempt. Usually if I close the bolt again it will then pull the case out. It doesn't seem like the case is sticking, but more like the extractor isn't locking onto the rim or something. Anything I can do about it? </div></div>

You can just replace the remington extractor, they are cheap and easy to install. Later down the road when you want a new barrel, you can get the action blue printed and get a one piece bolt, or get a complete custom action.

My 5R did the same thing when I put it in a new in box AICS stock. I had a Sako Extractor installed and that took care of that problem.

Just keep in mind though, Sako extractors are not very popular these days because they create an unsafe situation in Remi's, but my gun smith installed hundreds and he has never had problems. Not just that, but through the years there are probably thousands and thousands installed in Remi actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sako extractors ... create an unsafe situation in Remi's ...</div></div>

Say what? Care to elaborate on that statement for those of us that didn't get that memo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nick L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cuts for the extractor break the "3 rings of steel", here is a link where it is discussed http://www.thenpha.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=32962
of the topic does anyone else see the words "carbide tools" in my post above this one as a link to something? </div></div>

This thread covers more:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2309610/1

Edit: add another link with more details

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sako extractors ... create an unsafe situation in Remi's ...</div></div>

Say what? Care to elaborate on that statement for those of us that didn't get that memo? </div></div>

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2309610/1

Another problem I have read about Sako Extractors is they have to be installed correctly, if installed wrong, your expeent brass will hit your scope. So make sure your smith knows what he is doing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will someone from GA Precision please voice their learned opinion on this matter? </div></div>

You will notice GA-Precision uses M16 extractors now. With the M16 extractor, you basically get the same thing, but also I cross pin (check out your M16 bolt) that holds the extractor in place. With the Sako Extractor, you only have a spring holding it in place.