• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700/.223 Extractor Update

DannG

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2021
LI, NY
I've had my Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223 for about 10 years now, I probably get it to the range once or twice a year.
It always had weak extraction, often dropping the fired case right on top of the next round. It got better if I ran the bolt fast, but then the empties got to fly away to their freedom, never to be scrounged again.
I replaced the original extractor with an OEM Remington piece, and had the same issues.
I searched the web and purchased several ( can never have enough spares) from Pacific Tool and Gauge.
I finally got to the range this morning and the rifle extracted 100%, no matter how slow, or how fast I ran the bolt.
I just wanted to share this in case anyone else has weak extraction in .223.
DannG

You ordered a product from PTG and it actually showed up? How long did it take?

Usually week ejection is the ejector.
Ordered during covid, took about 3 weeks to arrive.
The symptom was always the fired brass falling off the bolt face on the rearward pull ,and laying in the breach on top of the next cartridge.
DannG

Good to know, thanks for sharing. Never ordered anything from PTG myself after reading the threads with the horror stories. Maybe they actually decided to improve their CS?

I ordered a spare 223 extractor a few weeks ago from PTG, received it in about a week. Have not used it
as my 700 runs fine but it looks very well made.

If the item is in stock you usually get it quick but when it has to be made you better not be in a hurry.