• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 22LR bolt

Danny1788

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2012
Central coast, CA
How come no one has ever come up with a bolt that will fit a rem 700 with a 22LR bolt face? Seems like you couldn’t use a counter bore but to just have a bolt conversion and then chamber a barrel for a standard rem 700 would be a real winner. Just seeing if anyone has ever seen something like this. And no I’m not talking about a 40x bolt with the lugs in the rear. I’m thinking a standard bolt with locking lugs up front.

The problem with front lugs on a .22 is when you turn the bolt to engage the lugs your turning the bullet in the chamber destroying the engraving on the bullet. you could do it with .22 mag 17 hmr 17 mach II as they use centerfire bullets. If there was a way to make a good front lug .22 i would have made one. I've spent years trying to figure that out.

Reactions: ScottDWallace
Sounds like the bolt nose needs to rotate but then that makes it very weak. Almost like you want the lugs to rotate and the bolt stay centered correct? I’m assuming that’s why they moved the lugs back on the 40x design.

The marlin 15 uses a bolt that turns but the bolt nose is only 5/16 inch in diameter and they don't use a chamber that engraves the bullet. So it can be done , but for accuracy you need the bullet to engrave the rifling and if it engraved deeply enough you might get away with it . It is simpler to make a rear lug bolt and the front not rotate than it is to cut the lugs inside the receiver. just my opinion. I only make them for a hobby.

Reactions: Danny1788
The breach face would need to be brought way back to the lugs or even a bit further to control the round feeding better (not so much an issue). The problem this creates is that you wipe out any area for lug locking even if you did a rotating head. The only place without modifying the action would be the bolt handle recess and using that as a single lug. A few brands have had success with a single lug in 22lr but no where near the accuracy of a 40x, Vudoo or even a Win52. The other obstacle would be ejector/magazine. The 40x and Vudoo have the bottom of the action only opened up to allow the feed lips of the magazine and it also contains the ejector spike (lack of a better term) that would kick the shell out of the bolt nose when extracted. An adapter plate would need to be screwed into the bottom of the action (if wanting to use any existing magazine design) or an ejection system would need to be molded/included into the top of any magazine. Ideally the entire top portion of the magazine should fill up the bottom opening of the action to also help with mag stability.

Not impossible, but when you look at all of the development funds, cost to convert, and whats available currently I'd be willing to say its cheaper to buy a Vudoo, convert a 40x or some other option fitting your needs. For someone to dump the funding into the mold/development I dont see the return coming based on whats available now.

just my .02

The 580 and 581 were great rifles patterned after the 788, complete with multiple rear locking lugs. The rear of the bolt turned to lock, while the bolt nose stayed on the same plane.

It can be done, but not sure why anyone would want to. The bolt would be ridiculously difficult to make unless the more complex features were turned out through additive manufacturing. If you're talkin' repeater, the integrity at the end of the bolt will be really low, so it's not really worth it when other solutions are much better than what you'd end up with after going through all the trouble and expense.

MB