• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 .243 WIN - Build Help

OverTime

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
I am putting together my <span style="text-decoration: underline">first rifle</span> and I need some help. I am a shotgun hunter, who puts the gun away between seasons, but I want to get into coyote hunting and target shooting; trouble is I don’t have anyone to teach me the ins and outs of setting up an accurate rifle.
I have a new <span style="font-weight: bold">Remington 700 SPS Varmint </span>chambered in <span style="font-weight: bold">.243 WIN </span>and a new <span style="font-weight: bold">Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 SF MilDot</span>. I now need help choosing an appropriate set of <span style="font-weight: bold">base and rings</span>.
If you guys could offer me some advice on specific products it would be most appreciated. Furthermore, if you could give me any instruction/warnings about properly putting the rig together, that would also be welcomed.
Bipods, trigger, firing pin, stock, bedding, DBM are all things that I hope to do in the next year or two as funds allow. But getting the rifle functional is my first priority.

Re: Rem 700 .243 WIN - Build Help

Lots of good options out there as far as bases/rings go. Take some time and look through the forums for the ones that you like the best. You will see quite a few in the precision rifle picture thread. Personally I'd recommend at the minimum a picatinny style base and rings. The Buckmasters are a decent scope for the money, but don't have a huge amount of travel (50 MOA IIRC), which may present an issue trying to sight in at close range with a 20MOA base.

The factory stock is crap compared to most aftermarket stocks. I'd go B&C or H-S Precision at a minimum. Trigger you can learn to do yourself if you don't mind tinkering and voiding the warranty. Properly bedded in a good stock and with handloads you should be well on your way to a good starter rifle.

OT,

Get a 20moa Night Force Base and Night Force Rings. Optics Planet has some great deals. The Harris BR Swivel Bipod with the KMW Pod Loc is the next thing I'd get, maybe the next longer size for hunting. Also look at shooting sticks and a small tri-pod camp stool. With the shooting sticks & camp stool you'd be surprised how good you can shoot from the right calling position. Change Stocks to either the McMillan or Manners, it'll be a good investment. Get a solid field trigger like the Rifle Basix as well. Go ahead and pillar bed the stock until a new one can be purchased. Keep the original firing pin, not much to be gained by changing.

When or if you build a custom rifle these things will transfer to the new rifle.

i have the same rifle, a real shooter, but mine has the nikon monarch 4-16x50SF. i used EGW bases and Burris XTR rings.

the only downfall to this rifle that i have found is the stock, which i plan on replacing with a h&s tactical style stock

I'll caution the use of a 20 MOA base with that optic. It only has 50 MOA of elevation available and when using a 20 MOA base, that only leaves you with 5 MOA on the top side to use for your 100yd zero. I had that same optic on a .308 rifle with a Ken Farrell 15 MOA base for that reason exactly.

I'll also state that I had to switch the bases on some rifles and this rifle/optic combo ended up getting a 20 MOA and it worked *for me*. If you choose a 20 MOA base I wish you the same luck I had.

The only negative comment I have about the Ken Farrell 15 MOA base I had was it was super thick and even with short rings I found that I had to have a heck of a cheekpiece to be comfortable behind the optic.

Good luck with putting your rifle together!

I went with an <span style="font-weight: bold">EGW Picatinny base </span>and <span style="font-weight: bold">Burris Extreme Tactical rings</span>. I bought them all from <span style="text-decoration: underline">Optics Planet</span>; I couldn't find another site that beat their prices and it's free shipping.

My only concerns about these two products are from warnings that I read in other forums about using low cost aluminum rings and bases, and the quality of the screws that come with the EGW base. I don't know if these are even relevant since I'm shooting the mild recoiling .243 WIN.

What do I need to start planning for? Any good advice for setting up this rig? What should be my next purchase?

Thanks for all the help...keep it coming

Next purchase - ammo. Then, perhaps a trigger job. Next, a stock.

The 1:9.125 twist should make stabilization of 105grain class bullets easy.

I decided not to go with the Night Force, Badger, or other high priced mounts because at my shooting level, and for my shooting needs, I don't think I would notice a difference. Besides, I couldn't afford them, and my scope needs to get mounted somehow.

From what I read on these forums, and the littel that I understand, the canted bases would assist me in shooting out to 600+yds. I don't expect that I would ever be out past 400. And if I find that I need the 15, 20 , or 30 MOA base I will upgrade.

There were enough positive reviews in this forum and on other sites to convince me to go with EGW and Burris.

What's next?

Rifle was purchased today. Pretty excited.... The set up was done for me at the shop, and I realize now that I probably should have purcahsed low Rings for the Burris XTs. The barrel/objective clearance is about 5/8". The comb is low and I can't get a proper cheek weld with scope alignment

It looks like I am going to have to buy a riser of some sort. Any reccomendations for aftermarket cheek-pieces or similar products with pouches? I have seen the blackhawks, Accu-Risers, and Karsten/Kydex which I read about in the forums. I am leaning towards a Karsten.

I have the same rifle and use an Eagle stock pack to make up the difference. I don't know how well the Karsten will hold in the cheap hollow buttstock. I also use it to hold my dope chart and my scope knob covers. The next best thing you can get is a set of reloading dies and get someone to help you get started in reloading. That is a fairly pricey bullet to be shooting a lot of and reloading will open many more options for you. You can run varmint loads in the 58gr. V-max all the way up to the 115 Dtacs on paper. I run 70gr noslers in mine for groundhogs and 100 gr Core-Lokts for deer. Rifle basix is a good inexpensive trigger to go with and you'll want to replace the stock as soon as you can afford to. The forearm is very flimsy on the SPS-V stocks. I had mine duracoated due to the rust problems I had with the factory finish. Krylon should work in a pinch if you're on a budget right now. Enjoy your new purchase. Here's a pic of mine. Barreled action is Duracoat, stock is Krylon. I'm still in the early stages of my build, but it's an idea.
PICT0007.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can run varmint loads in the 58gr. V-max all the way up to the 115 Dtacs on paper.</div></div>

ARCOREY, have you shot the 115 dtacs in yours? I'd be VERY surprised if the 1-9.25" twist would stabilize them, but I'm interested to hear if you've had other experiences.

Jason

You got a great start, start reloading, experiment, as the bug begins to dig deeper under your skin you can begin to make all the upgrades listed above. As you have seen here, the list of upgrades is limitless. It just takes $$ so start you a "gun fund" jar and throw some dogh in it every week, get a paper route, etc. This hoby is a money pit!! Ain't it great!!??

I had not tried them. I guess I should have specified that I was speaking more toward the caliber capability rather than the particular twist he has. I am curious to try some Dtacs or some heavy VLD's in mine this spring though. I have seen others get the 55 NBT's to run well in the same rifle which I thought would require a 10 twist or slower, so with some load work the heavier than 100gr bullets may do okay for a limited range, granted the 8 twist would be optimal.

Here is mine 5:00OT, It started as a SPS Varmint in .308, I have EGW 20 MOA Base and Burris XTR rings as well, Konus PRO M30 Scope, and Bipod. Also a McMillan A4 Stock. Can't wait to get a new barrel though. Shoots pretty well for me so far.

29oo6jo.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can run varmint loads in the 58gr. V-max all the way up to the 115 Dtacs on paper.</div></div>

ARCOREY, have you shot the 115 dtacs in yours? I'd be VERY surprised if the 1-9.25" twist would stabilize them, but I'm interested to hear if you've had other experiences.

Jason </div></div>

I certainly would be surprised too if it can stabilize the 115 grains pill. I have the same exact rifle but in a different stock. I can stabilize the 105 grains scenars or AMAX, but that's about it. I spoke to George at GAP, and he said to stabilize the 115 grain pill, you are going to need at least the 1:7 twist.