• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rem 700 .308 300-800yrd Scope

THE MGD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2011
S. TEXAS
Recently I've been getting into long range shooting. I have a lot of years of shooting a .270 at 300. I'd like to shoot to 800 as a long term goal. I'd like to learn better on the wind and my shots at 300 to start and slowly build up to 800. Im switching to a .308 I know it will not be as flat shooting but thats why i have chosen it, to better understand my ballistics. I would like some reccomendations on a new scope, given the following
(eventaually i will upgrade the parts [bolt, barrel, stock, bipod, Etc]. I just need advice on a scope as I was given my last one and do not know the current market quality)

Rifle: (Stock)Remington 700 ADL .308
Budget: $600
Would like Illuminated dot or ret., 50MOA adjustment, 1/8 moa clicks, adjustable power up tp 15 or 20. (though at 300 i normally use x10, do not know what ill need at 800)
Easy to use turrets. Ive used a Millet TRS1 but ive heard the quality is hit or miss now.

Any suggestions?
(im not able to save 1k-2k for a nightforce or simular)

This is for punching paper and maybe hitting some coyotes I see on the way to my set up range

Re: Rem 700 .308 300-800yrd Scope

The weaver tactical line is nice and right around 600 ish

What do you guys think of the current quality of the MILLET TRS1's
As anyone would do, im trying to stick with what I know .
im looking more for a scope that I zero at 100-200 and dial in my dope. The mill dot hold overs will be for last resort. Ive found at 300 my 1/4 clicks were helpfull , but I dont know how I feel about that at 800. I assumed I might need 1/8 adjustments , any insight?
Thanks

Higher than your budget, but the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 fits most of your criteria. You have 65 elevation moa, the Ill. reticle, 6-24 magnification which can certainly take you from 300-800+ yards, nice solid turrets. I know you said you wanted 1/8 moa but the pst has either 1/4 moa or .1 mil, now the plus to this is that the reticles on the PST line match the turrets. So youwuill have mil/mil or moa/moa, a very nice feature that makes the mind math game easier. For a little less money I would certainly look at the Bushnell Elite line. they Have a 6-24 as well that has some of your criteria and is at that $600 mark with great glass.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-rifle-scopes.html

Trevor B.

FWIW-Very few people will give a negative opinion unless the item is extremely bad. Myself included.

IMO-I would take it that since I received no good opinions that maybe I should look at a different scope.

Good luck with your shooting.

+1 for the Vortex options. I have the 6-24x50 PST on order, and am about to pee my pants waiting on it. Already thinking about a 4-16 for my other rifle. These will be a good crutch until this poor boy can get enough scratch for a S&B.

+1 on the Vortex Viper (not the PST) it list for $499 and imo is better scope then what you are thinking about! Plus you should you ever run it over they will replace it no questions asked! Great scope, great warranty and $100 cheaper then your budget.

+1 for Vortex! I've read and heard nothing but good things about them. They are just above your budget but just save your pennies and you'll be all set