• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rem.700 .308 recoil

byrom1212

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2008
greenville tx
I am getting a new barrel put on my .308 and haveing it cut down to 18in. I have a muzzle brake on the 24in barrel its nice to have because the rifle doesn't kick at all but the noise is what kills me. would It be worth the extra 50 to 100 bucks to have new barrel threaded for the brake or are there other ways to control the recoil of that rifle that helps with muzzle rise.

Re: rem.700 .308 recoil

A suppressor would solve both felt recoil and blast... but costs more than a simple brake. Adding weight ill help with felt recoil, but then the rifle starts to become heavy and awkward in positional shooting.

I would love to have a suppressor but the cost is the issue. and I realy dont have an issue with the blast its the people who shoot with me

Maybe upgrade your recoil pad. Wont help with muzzle rise unless you weight the front of the stock.

Then go naked, sans brake. The best way to control the recoil of the rifle and help with muzzle rise is proper form. Probably not what you were wanting to hear, but no piece of gear will correct improper form.

Assuming that your form is down pat then the decision is up to you. I've shot next to guns with brakes that pumped out much more gas than a .308 and the only thing that I did was double up on protection and give proper clearance between myself and the other shooters.

My form is not the best and I know I'm a ok to good shooter and would love to get better.

Well, when the weather gets warmer let us try to get together and shoot at APG (I assume that's where you shoot). No need to fight the cold while focusing on form.

I have my own range at my house it only goes out to 100 yards but for practice it works and its free to shoot at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308longshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My form is not the best and I know I'm a ok to good shooter and would love to get better. </div></div>

Snipers Hide Online Training, Best $10 a month you could spend on your shooting

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=6&page=1

if you are only shooting at 100 yards..try lioghter l;oads. I shot Hornady 110 Vmax bullets in my AI at around 2800 fps and it was very easy on recoil and super accurate to 300 yards. The recoil pad makes a big difference.porter with a plastic butt in 25-06 and it kicked hard with full loads. I had a M70 sporter in 308 with a nice pad and it kicked less witha 180 gr load than the 25-06 with a 100 gr load.

I guess I need to go out to apg so I can use the 300 yard range only shooting at 100 yards seems kind of pointless for this round.