• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rem 700 5r millspec or rem 700 XCR .308

jellybeenz17

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2011
im looking to buy one of these rifles, im trying to compare. which way to go. pls post your opinions:)

Re: rem 70 5r millspec or rem 700 XCR .308

Although this is interesting how it may turn out, you really need to understand "the why" folks voted the way they did before making a decision on what is best for you. I went through this process recently but did a lot of research before opting for a 5R. FWIW....I would suggest you do likewise because the most popular choice may not be the right choice for you.

Best wishes in your pursuit.

GTGunner

-If you want a B&C stock with 1-12 twist, go with the XCR
-If you want a HS stock with 1-11.25 twist and 5r rifling, go with the 5r.

Well ppl. I bought both.
smile.gif

Either rifle will shot better then most people can, so I'd say get the one that fits you better (ergonomic wise).

Xcr has a better trigger (40x). Steven

5r for the twist rate and stainless. I personally like the HS Precision stock better too.

Not the XCR for coating they have in it. Would rather have my own choice of duracote/cerakote finish. I believe its a 20" fluted barrel too and though I like the 20" barrel, I'm not a fan of the fluting.

Your call. Either one should shoot pretty good. If you can put them both in you hands and compare before you make the call.

Good luck

5R...got one last year love it, great out of the box tack driver

No personal exprc w xcr but did a lot of asking and research before goin with 5r in 300wm and culd not be happier. 2nd day out shot 1.25inches at 500. I was pleased. Not a huge fan of trigger.

I prefer the xcr tactical.......

You get a better finish ( more durable) from the factory.
You get the better trigger.
stock that has more options
fluted vs non fluted barrel

That is why I am trying despratley to get one in 300 win mag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drb5r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pics or I call bs. </div></div>
Yeah! And hold up two forms of ID so we know theyre your rifles too!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5r for the twist rate and stainless.
Good luck </div></div>

FYI...They are both Stainless.

The 40x trigger on the XCR is pretty nice. My XCR Compact .308 has been a good shooter. The furthest I shot paper was 2 groups at 335 yds One 3 shot group came in at 1.5" and one 4 shot group at 1.6". Ammo was Nosler 168gr Competition. Beyond that I have only shot steel. Not bad for a factory gun.

No experience with the 5r though...