• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 5R Muzzle OD?

dumapus

Minuteman
Apr 6, 2006
PA
Does anyone know muzzle OD on the Rem 700 5R 308? thanks

Re: Rem 700 5R Muzzle OD?

Thanks
I am looking at the Ops Inc R3E2C brake and wasn't sure if the 0.866 OD brake would be fat enough or how much it would be turned down (if it could) appreciate the help.

Dumapus,

Not to disagree with Randy (HateCA), I seen in print for 5r Muzzle OD's listed as both .900" and .980". I had a Rem 700 Milspec 5R back in 2005 and the muzzle OD was indeed .980 from my notes (I no longer have that rifle, so I can't check). Which means a heavier profile than the Rem Varmint.

But I'm sure Remington can and does change barrel spec's on limited runs, like the 5R series. So a 2005 build date model, might well be different than say a 2009-2010 build date model.

That said, I recommend putting horse before cart, and actually acquire the Rem 5r, really measure it, and then contemplate brake options.

Bob

I don't wanna get off topic of the OP but are muzzle breaks really necessary for 308's?

Thanks Bob - I have a new 5R I picked up yesterday but I couldn't find my calipers and my daughter's school ruler wont cut it. I will be sending this off for a brake and some cerakote. I was planning on going over the options with whoever I send it to and will probably go with whatever they suggest. I was curious based on the two ODs offered what the difference would be and if it could be turned to match the bbl profile

ETA - I had a chest catheter put in my left side in February and am concerned about any type of impact to my upper body. I need a brake that will decease the recoil impulse. The alternative was to buy a lead sled but where's the fun in that?

Last week I was checking my 5R muzzle diameter thinking about copying the contour for a new barrel on another rifle. It measured 0.830...... I purchased the 5R new and have had it for about 9 months.

Hope this helps...

My .308 5R is .830 at the muzzle and was purchased 1 year ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't wanna get off topic of the OP but are muzzle breaks really necessary for 308's?</div></div>That skinny little piece of hard rubber that Rmeington puts on that(my opinion), poorly designed HS Precision stock caused my 5R to kick worse than my 7mag. I had a Badger Thruster installed for T-shirt weather.

Oh.. hmm yea I was told anything under a 300WM a break was just extra hardware. I thought of getting one on mine but I wasn't sure if they made that much of a difference for a 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dumapus,

Not to disagree with Randy (HateCA), I seen in print for 5r Muzzle OD's listed as both .900" and .980". I had a Rem 700 Milspec 5R back in 2005 and the muzzle OD was indeed .980 from my notes (I no longer have that rifle, so I can't check). Which means a heavier profile than the Rem Varmint.

But I'm sure Remington can and does change barrel spec's on limited runs, like the 5R series. So a 2005 build date model, might well be different than say a 2009-2010 build date model.

That said, I recommend putting horse before cart, and actually acquire the Rem 5r, really measure it, and then contemplate brake options.

Bob </div></div>

If you had a Remington factory rifle that had a 5R barrel larger then .830 it was either a custom barrel or something from the custom shop with very limited run. No mass produced Remington "5R" that is so prevalent today had anything but a Sendero barrel that is .830

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dumapus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks
I am looking at the Ops Inc R3E2C brake and wasn't sure if the 0.866 OD brake would be fat enough or how much it would be turned down (if it could) appreciate the help. </div></div>

Do not buy and Ops Inc brake and plan on turning it down. They, Ops Inc, don't recommend in doing so. I have seen several fail that have been turned down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dumapus,

Bob </div></div>

If you had a Remington factory rifle that had a 5R barrel larger then .830 it was either a custom barrel or something from the custom shop with very limited run. No mass produced Remington "5R" that is so prevalent today had anything but a Sendero barrel that is .830

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dumapus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks
I am looking at the Ops Inc R3E2C brake and wasn't sure if the 0.866 OD brake would be fat enough or how much it would be turned down (if it could) appreciate the help. </div></div>

Do not buy and Ops Inc brake and plan on turning it down. They, Ops Inc, don't recommend in doing so. I have seen several fail that have been turned down. </div></div>

Thanks, thats good to know. From your experience, is their a different brake I should look atto reduce the recoil a little? Having something to fit the bbl profile would be nice but my priority is recoil reduction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh.. hmm yea I was told anything under a 300WM a break was just extra hardware. I thought of getting one on mine but I wasn't sure if they made that much of a difference for a 308. </div></div>

It makes a BIG difference in my case. Makes my 308 feel like a 223. I like my 308 but sadly right now I am selling it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dumapus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks, thats good to know. From your experience, is their a different brake I should look atto reduce the recoil a little? Having something to fit the bbl profile would be nice but my priority is recoil reduction. </div></div>

Kind of depends on what type of look you are after. If you want to be able to take the brake on and off you are going to want one that doesn’t rely on timing, the Vais is such a brake and is very good. If you don't plan on removing it then something like the Badger Thruster is very good. Both of these can be turned down to match your barrel profile or turned down to get very close to it, again this would be what look you're trying to obtain.

Thruster blended with the barrel
BYRON3.jpg

Vais turned down close to the barrel to allow removal without creating shoulder issues.
m40sale1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnabstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its all about personal preference. if you wanna track youre own shots you better get one. </div></div>
Can you really track your bullet flight? Or just be easier to see it hit the target?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It makes a BIG difference in my case. Makes my 308 feel like a 223. I like my 308 but sadly right now I am selling it. </div></div>

Yea I've seen some make a 308 look like a 223 in some videos and other it still kicks like any other ol 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you really track your bullet flight? Or just be easier to see it hit the target?
</div></div>

Depends if you have a really quick eye you can see the bullet trace. Most of the time it will allow you to get follow up shots much quicker and also allow you to see the bullet hit the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yea I've seen some make a 308 look like a 223 in some videos and other it still kicks like any other ol 308. </div></div>

Yep, it depends on the muzzle brake design. That determines how effective they are at reducing recoil. Fitting a birdcage like the Yankee Hill Machine Muzzle Brake Phantom 5C1 is not going to be as effective as say a Fat Bastard or BO FTE muzzle brake. Nothing against YHM (I like their products--good quality products) I was just using that style muzzle brake as an example.

Randy, I have both the Vais and Thruster and understand the timing issues on removal and resetting the Thruster, but I have not had any problems with removal or resetting. Is there a problem I should look for? The main reason I like to remove it is for cleaning carbon build up on the crown. Does that make sense? Thanks. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dumapus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks, thats good to know. From your experience, is their a different brake I should look atto reduce the recoil a little? Having something to fit the bbl profile would be nice but my priority is recoil reduction. </div></div>

Kind of depends on what type of look you are after. If you want to be able to take the brake on and off you are going to want one that doesn’t rely on timing, the Vais is such a brake and is very good. If you don't plan on removing it then something like the Badger Thruster is very good. Both of these can be turned down to match your barrel profile or turned down to get very close to it, again this would be what look you're trying to obtain.

Thruster blended with the barrel
BYRON3.jpg

Vais turned down close to the barrel to allow removal without creating shoulder issues.
m40sale1.jpg

</div></div>

Thanks for the help, always good info and assistance here.

ETA - going with the Little Bastard, should be what I need.
Great pics by the pool too

I had a Badger Thruster on my 5R, it really made it feel like a 223.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LarryB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Randy, I have both the Vais and Thruster and understand the timing issues on removal and resetting the Thruster, but I have not had any problems with removal or resetting. Is there a problem I should look for? The main reason I like to remove it is for cleaning carbon build up on the crown. Does that make sense? Thanks.
</div></div>

Most want the Thruster blended to the barrel like in the pic where the seam can't be seen. Once it's done this way and one takes the brake off the seam will be seen.

As long as one doesn’t get crazy with the torque one should be ok with the Thruster but one needs to be careful. Repeatedly removing it and re-torque it can cause the shoulder to crush or the threads to stretch and the brake will be out of time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dumapus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ETA - I had a chest catheter put in my left side in February and am concerned about any type of impact to my upper body. I need a brake that will decease the recoil impulse. The alternative was to buy a lead sled but where's the fun in that?

</div></div>

Hemodyalisis catheter?

Why don't you try shooting right handed?

Yes its a Quentin (sp) Cath for Hemodialysis. Its on my left side and I shoot off my right shoulder but I am concerned about any impact to my chest in general. I have been mainly shooting 22s for the past year b/c off the concern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LarryB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't wanna get off topic of the OP but are muzzle breaks really necessary for 308's?</div></div>That skinny little piece of hard rubber that Rmeington puts on that(my opinion), poorly designed HS Precision stock caused my 5R to kick worse than my 7mag. I had a Badger Thruster installed for T-shirt weather. </div></div>

Agree. I'm shooting a 5r .308 and moved to the B&C Tactical stock. Very limited shoulder kick (for me). Thanks for the break info.