• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rem 700 6.5-06 Project

SlimySquirrel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Hi People,

I have not posted for a long time due to mainly messing with short range calibers and varmint builds.

I am now however building a 6.5-06 for some longer range Target shooting and medium range hunting.

I have a few questions for you guys in the know.....

1.What barrel length should I be looking at? (30 Inch ordered and awaiting cutting)
2.What should be my first upgrade to the action?

I see some fine looking Rigs on here that provide inspiration... makes me wish I had a green card to live in the USA!

The Rem Long action will be riding in an MDT LSS (Due to it being carried a heap in the field) and I am undecided on the Butt Stock but leaning towards the Magpul PRS due to its adjust-ability in the field.

Thanks for reading and your input!

Andre

Last edited:
watching with great interest, my next stick is going to be a 6.5-06....

I think Bob over at Viper's BenchRest runs a 6.5-06 on all his 1,000 yard rigs. IIRC he told me he runs 1 load and doesn't do load development. I actually bought a 6.5-06 reamer because I was so intrigued by my conversation with him. Maybe drop him a line, he is a cool dude. The Viper He posts here sometimes as well...

Mine has a 25 in shilen barrel. It was originally a 26 in barreled long action in 260 I picked up and had re chambered. Had to cut an inch off the rear to get all the 260 chamber out. I'm pushing 120 smk around 3100 sub 1/4 moa.

Just started my development. It is really nice to shoot even with 140's IMO. I got it because the 30-06 was really starting to wear on me and I was flinching especially when using the heavier rounds in .30 cal.

The guy who built my rifle, talked me into the cartridge as a had a lot of 30-06 brass. Takes a little while to make the brass. I got the hang of it, wrecked a few casings. They say it is easy to use 25-06, but that is rare for me to find. One really has to trim .270 but it works and 30-06 brass just takes some time. I waited 4 months for dies from RCBS. Backordered on Midway, I got a second set and kept them.

Right now I am really happy, I could go fire a 100 rounds without an issue. Very little recoil to me. Where I live is very windy so it meets my needs.

Looking forward to trying some more varieties from 123's to 142 SMKs. Oh yes, 26 inch Shilen barrel in Light Palma contour.

Last edited:
I have had both an A-Square 6.5-06 and an Ackley. You can use any reasonable length of barrel you have over 24", just a matter of how heavy you want your rifle to be. Here's a couple tips:

-If possible have your rifle chambered with a 270 length neck. This makes using good quality cheap Winchester 270 brass really simple.
-H4831sc gives incredibly low SD (<5 fps in both my rifles) with Winchester brass and Fed 210Ms. The best part, for me as a hunter, is - it does this right at max pressure/velocity.

Sounds like a great build what gun smith you gonna get to put it together?

Thanks a heap lads!!

The smith I will use is Scotty at SSRNZ and also Mitch in Wellington NZ who was some kind of bench rest genius I have read so it should be in good hands.

The sizing issue is interesting as we can get 25-05 brass pretty easy. I won't be reloading them myself but I shall be learning off a friend who knows what he is doing.... Really excited by this calibre....