• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rem 700 AAC .308 - Thoughts on barrel finish

MAG00

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
NE Texas
I think I have read where some have complained about Remington's finish on the SPS Tactical AAC models. More specifically with rust. I have seen where this is a pretty popular starter rifle and popular model to build off of.

What are ya'lls experience with this and what are some simple fixes besides just having it cerakoted? If rust is a common thing whit this model, what about the interior of the barrel/action?

Thanks.

There are probably more complaints about that than there are AAC-SD's sold, or held.

I ACTUALLY OWN a Rem 700 AAC-SD - with NO RUST.

These specific rifles are parkerized. Look that up. It is the finish on most, if not all military rifles. There is a reason for that.

Coat it if you want. I'd save the money and put it into ammo, or a stock, or a trigger.

Chip

I just bought a aac-sd.
No reason to think it will rust. I was very happy with the fit and finish.
Mine is even free floated when sitting on a bipod.

A little info...
I work as a raft guide on the weekends during summer and we have rooms that are sort of built onto a barn that we keep the rafts in. Very modest accommodations to say the least. Any ways, I have a window style AC unit to keep cool during the blazing summer. Well, I brought my rifle up and left it in the gun bag to shoot after trips at a local range. After 2 nights in the very humid room, it had started developing rust on the barrel, action, and bolt. Good news is, it simply wiped off after I took it out of the stock with a lightly oiled rag.
The only time I've ever noticed it rusting was in this environment. If you don't have a super humid moist air room, should be fine.

I have had minor surface rust on mine, but I do live in an extremely dry climate. Regardless, I am careful and keep a coat of Flitz wax on it. I certainly wouldn't trust Remington's finish in a coastal or damp environment.