• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 AAC build

thewolf

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2012
Montana
I bought a Remington 700 AAC-SD 308 earlier this summer and am really loving it.

Here is my build so far
Remington 700 AAC-SD 308
Nightforce 20 MOA rail
Vortex precision low rails
Vortex Viper HS 5-15x 44mm
B&C m40 stock
Harris swivel bipod

I also installed a new spring to the stock x-mark pro trigger. $10 from erniethegunsmith.com. It’s now consistent at around 2lb with my cheap trigger gauge. Best $10 I ever sent for a trigger.

I just started hand loading for it and shot two 5 shot group that measured .44, .48 moa during the ladder test at 100 yards. Now just to load up more of the same recipe and see if I can really call it a ½ moa rifle.

Does anyone else have a similar setup? How is it shooting for you?

I am not sure if I want to “fine tune” things to try and get a little more out of it or is it at its limit.

rayfi8.jpg

Re: Rem 700 AAC build

Hey buddy, I did a similar build with mine:

p1010967u.jpg

NF 20 MOA 2-Piece Bases (changed out for a USO 20moa rail)
High Badger Rings
Vortex PST 6-24
AICS with Atlas
Rifle Basix L1-K @ 2lbs

Pet load is the 178Amax over 44gr Varget. Have a few .3 moa targets here, normally shoots 1/2-3/4 moa depending on me of course. Just got to learn to drive the thing better.

Nice looking rifle.

I guess I will play with reloading for a while before I do anything else to the rifle.

I read it all over that money spent on ammo is way better but 100 rounds sitting in my room does not look as cool as a tacticool rifle

TheWolf, nice looking rifle! You might want to checkout RL15. A few friends of mine, along with myself have found great success using it.

here's mine:
700 aac
b&c tactical medalist stock,glass bedded
jewell hvr @ 1lb
mark IV rail and steel rings
konus m30
DSCN2013.jpg

at 100 yards the worst group is usually around a .5 or .6.
average groups providing i don't screw it up to bad is around .25-.35.

recently I shot my first f/tr match (600 yard prone) this was my third time ever shooting at 600 yards. The wind was not very cooperative and i'm still learning how to read it but on the first string i shot a 195-5x, second string was a 192-3x, and third string was a 188-2x.

at a 200yard f/tr practice the same load shot a clean 200-19X (I jerked one shot out of the X)

175gr SMK
44.3gr rl15
win brass (2.000)fully prepped.
winchester large rifle primers.
full length sized (head space on my rifle -0.002)
ogive length 2.310 (.030 off the lands in my rifle)

avg muzzle velocity: 2460
5 mils up at 600 yards

As always, practice safe loading techniques and start off with a lower charge and work up and be cautious with OAL/OGIVE length

Henning, beautiful stick! I love the looks of the AICS. My next build will definitely be sitting in one! What brass are you loading into with the above recipe and what type of velocity are you getting?

Nice guns! My AAC-SD started out in an AICS 1.5, with an EGW 20 MOA rail. Didn't like the AICS, so I went to a McMillan A5 with a DBM, got a Nightforce 20 MOA (pfft, free... friends are great, amirite?), and I hopped on the Atlas bipod bandwagon. It's down right now, since it was cheaper for me to trade for a new stock with the adjustable cheekpiece than to cut a cheekpiece in the old one. Have to get the new one inletted for the DBM though, and bedded.

Great gun out of the box. Shooting .5 groups with factory 168 federal smk. Bc a2 stock and bushnell glass

Thanks guys.

I really like the m40 stock. But remember this is my first precision rifle so I have no experience or knowledge to judge it on. I wanted/knew I had to get a new stock and decided on a B&C stock. The m40 fit my taste/style and budget so I went with it.

So far I have only reloaded 40 rounds, I have a lot more reading to do! I think I the quick ladder test.. I loaded 5 rounds with .5 grain increments starting from .40 to 43.5. best group was at 43.5. a friend of mine gave me two-thirds a bottle of varget to try out. When that runs out I’ll give the RL15 a try and see how they compare. See which works best for me before I buy in bulk.

My load was:
168 A-max
Varget
fired fed brass
CCI 200 primers
COAL at 2.8

Jason Bourne, is your bolt know that two piece shell one? I forget the name. if so do you like it? and nice shooting.

Heres mine.

http://youtu.be/1qvctK29kz4

AAC-SD, B&C stock, AAC brake, Versa-Pod bipods, Nikon 4-16x50 scope, NF 20 MOA base, US Optics mount.

I shoot federal 168 SMK out to 600. My cousin just purchased reloading gear and we will be working on a 175 SMK load.

very nice I had the same stock and rifle set up on my first sps tactical great ergos on the stock just a little heavy, nice build

Yea it is pretty heavy in comparison. Getting a different set up on my next build for sure. This set up would not be ideal for hunting unless your in a stand lol

TheWolf, is it. It's made by a company called KRG. The product is called the "bolt lift". If memory serves, it was around 30.00 and it is sturdy as a rock. I installed it (without the provided epoxy) just using the screws and washers and it has never moved. I have about 2k rounds through my pipe and still have not touched the thing.

what is an effective accurate range on that gun? will it reach 800 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeeterzx202</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is an effective accurate range on that gun? will it reach 800 yards? </div></div>

From all reports with the proper load, proper amount of adjustment on the scope, and a competent shooter it will reach 1k.

Similar setup here, shoots 5 shot groups under 3/4 with federal gold medal 175, and in the 1/2 range with my loads of lapua brass, 44.5 varget, and 175smk.
Remington 700 .308 AAC-SD, with trigger spring swap
Bell & Carlson M40 replica stock, bedded
Vortex viper PST 6-24x50
Burris Xtreme low rings
EGW 20MOA base
Krylon
20120715_171224.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jason bourne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont want to hijack the thread but I love the paint job, I am debating on spray painting or hydro dipping mine. </div></div>

Looks like he sprayed through a mess net?
Looks great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jason bourne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TheWolf, is it. It's made by a company called KRG. The product is called the "bolt lift". If memory serves, it was around 30.00 and it is sturdy as a rock. I installed it (without the provided epoxy) just using the screws and washers and it has never moved. I have about 2k rounds through my pipe and still have not touched the thing. </div></div>

I remember looking at it a while ago and didn’t like the idea of using epoxy. I did not know it could be install with just the screw!

Anyways I decided to give it a try after hearing that, just showed up today. With just the rubber rings and screw it fits nicely in fact the package didn’t include epoxy. There is a little split in the beginning, closest to the bolt, but it is not a big deal to me. I was surprised how solid it actually for something that just screws on. It is not my favorite shape for a bolt knob but for a little over $30 I can’t complain too much.

Thanks for the info Jason.

No problem, glad you like it. I don't know what happened with the epoxy, but I have WELL over 1k rounds through my rifle with it on and it still hasn't come loose. I will agree, The shape is not what I would call "ideal" but the comfort of the larger knob and knowing that within 10 seconds or so I can revert to a factory bolt handle that has not been ground off makes up for it lol.