• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem. 700 AAC-SC/FGMM/Pressure Issues?

Will Fennell

Sergeant
Minuteman
OK guys,
I picked up a 700AAC-SC/308/16.5" to have a lighter, shorter rifle to run suppressed, shot some subs, and hunt with....my TRG's are just a bit big for hunting. I dropped the 700 in a Manners T3 w/mini chassis, put in a Timney trigger, installed a NF 20MOA base, and mounted a NF F1. Well, I started shooting subs, and all was well. Grouped pretty good for subsonic reloads. Then, everytime I shot some regular supersonic match or hunting loads, it didn't group spectacularly well, and it kept giving me pressure signs with my reloads. So, today, I went to the range with a selection of factory match, including FGMM, SWA, and Hornady Match. I took my time and shot groups. With and without the can. Nothing grouped particularly well( best was a 3 shot group .75 MOA, and the next group with the same ammo was 1.4"), but everything showed pressure signs. Cratered primers and ejector swipes. Some VERY heavy bolt lift.

So I'm guessing something is amiss in this remington barreled action. Any guesses? Best guess on the course of action? Send it back to Remington, send it to a smith? I would really like to use this barrel....

TIA,

Will

Make sure then chamber is good and clean and free of build up, that is usually an AR issue but worth a try. Can't be the action to the best of knowledge. Take it to a local smith and have them look at the chamber and make sure headspace is right.

Take it to a smith and if it is simple have him fix it if not send it back in original form.

I am far from a smith, But the aac model is a 1-10 twist rate. Could be that if you are using lighter shorter rounds that they may not be stabilizing correctly. I just bought the same rifle so I am interested to see what the cause is.

Hmmm... I have a 20" AAC-SD, and the cratered primers are normal, all my Rem's do that. The other things are indicative of a problem as you already know. Disregard the above comment about twist rate and stability, that is bogus. I have 2 308's with 1-10" twist and they shoot everything down to 110 Vmax's well.

Somthing's definitely up, could the bore diameter be too tight? Do you have any way to slug it and see?
Do you have a gauge to check headspace on fired cases vs new? You could use an empty 40 S&W case and calipers to measure base to shoulder datum length, if the cases are stretching very far on firing you MAY see some pressure signs like sticky bolt but it would have to be an extreme headspace issue for that to happen.

I would contact a smith as Remington will not tell you anything, they will say "send it in", and while they may find a problem and fix it, they may not and you get it back and still have to pay a smith. Either way, Remington will most likely not tell you what the problem was and will take weeks to send it back to you.

I would contact a smith as Remington will not tell you anything, they will say "send it in", and while they may find a problem and fix it, they may not and you get it back and still have to pay a smith. Either way, Remington will most likely not tell you what the problem was and will take weeks to send it back to you.

I respectfully disagree. Call Remington and have them look at it. They will send you shipping labels and it won't cost you anything but time. Had to send my 700 back to them a couple of times for issues similar to yours but eventually they fixed it by rebarelling it. Now it shoots quite well. It's their product and they should be the ones to make it right if given the chance. And it was only out of my hands 2 weeks at a shot including shipping when I had to send it in. Frustrating and shouldn't have to happen? Yes. But they did take care of it without me having to spend any more money out of my pocket. FWIW