• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rem 700 action damaging cases?

tx outlaw

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2011
Texas
Howdy y'all.

I purchased a Remington 700 ADL in .30-06 from Academy for cheap a few years ago as a hunting rifle. I am just now getting into LR shooting, so I came here to learn and hopefully improve as a shooter. But, that's not what this topic is about. I have noticed with my rifle that whenever I chamber a new round, it is somewhat difficult to push the new round into the chamber, and as a result of this, the spent cases that come out of the gun have small grooves in them that run the length of the case. They are not very deep, but they are deep enough to bother me (and get gold dust all in my action). Is this just due to the fact that the ADL's fit and finish is pretty poor? What's the deal? It has always done this, I have just never taken notice until now.

Thanks, and I hope to learn a lot from y'all over the coming months.

Re: Rem 700 action damaging cases?

Welcome, you'll learn alot from this place if you stick around. Do you have any pictures of these grooves? is there any obstructions in the chamber? or is it just dirty? Sounds like it may be a good one to take to a smith and have him check it out.

This sounds like a burr on the top lip of the magazine box. Take the box out and using a fine cut file round the sharp edges of the inside of the box lips then use a fine stone to polish it. You should remove very little metal. There is a slight possibility that the sharp edge or burr is on the magazine follower or at the end of the receiver rail cut where the bolt lugs engage. If it is at the end of the reciever rail then the scratch is happening during extraction. The spring plunger ejector in the bolt is pushing the casing to the right during extraction and the casing rides hard on the right side of the receiver during extraction. One way to check where it is happening is to chamber a case without a scratch then slowly extract the case and capture it before the case neck clears the reciever cut. Carefully lift the case out without rotating it. You should be able to see where the scratch is occuring in relation to the magazine lips, follower, and right reciever rail.I have this same problem in a Savage. It is the reciever rail on mine. It is hard to get to the sharp corrner at the front of the receiver without removing the barrel.

I had a similar problem recently, but it wasn't a fault of the action. So I have to ask, is the case difficult to feed out of the mag box and then into the chamber where it gets easier, or fairly easy out of the box and gets difficult as it is actually entering the chamber?

What happened with mine is that some form of debris found its way into the chamber and when I tried to chamber a round, some form of build up started on the chamber wall. Every round after that would then do as you describe where it would be very difficult to chamber and leave scratches the length of the case. The chamber just needed cleaning really well and polished. A local smith told me what to do to fix it and I've not had any problems since then. If this is the problem you are having, take it to a smith to inspect the chamber walls for build up and get it polished if necessary. Shouldn't be very expensive at all. Good luck.

Geb

The feed lips in the action are probably very sharp. The mag box doesn't hold the rounds down it's the action feed lips. What I'd do is slightly stone the sharp edge of the feed lips. But that's what I'd do.