• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 action

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
I have a spare rem 700 SA laying around the house. Is there any reason to have it blueprinted and put a new tube on it? Or is it not worth the cost, and just buy a custom action at that point?

Thanks in advance.

I went down the blue printing rat hole….probably wouldn’t do it again because it ended up being 75-80% of the cost of a Defiance Deviant action at the time.
Even up the lug faces on your own-slowly-,add a thicker recoil lug and consider the Remage as others have mentioned. I also ground down and installed a Badger bolt handle.
Put your money towards a decent barrel and trigger. Even then, the gun will likely outshoot you for a while.

Last edited:
It depends if you are like alot of you may have a few 709 actions without purpose. Either don't touch it or send it out. I wouldn't buy one now to have it done but when they are sitting there doing nothing may as well use it.

Find a good smith with a quick turn-around, good prices, and that does quality work and knows what they're doing. They're more common than you think.

I blue print any 700 action that I pull the barrel off of. I have some that shoot amazing with the factory barrels, and I won't bother truing those until I get ready to rebarrel.

Reactions: Pinmaster
Not really worth the cost of blueprinting it in my opinion. Put on a good remage barrel and shoot it.

If its doesn't shoot well enough for you, then sell it and put that money and the cost you would have spent on blueprinting and pick up a custom action

Another note...some gunsmiths open up the diameter of the action threads during their truing process. If they do that, then you probably won't ever be able to put a remage on it.

If you already have its a late 70's or early 80's vintage might consider having it blueprinted. There are a couple of gunsmiths known for blueprinting 700's Charlie Robertson being one of them. Turnaround time will be an issue.

Send it to Spartan Precision Rifles, Marc Soulie is the man

Reactions: todd
Send it to Spartan Precision Rifles, Marc Soulie is the man
screen-shot-2022-02-11-at-08-42-11-png.7805693

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
I have a completely factory 700 action with no work and it shoots bug holes with a Brux barrel.

I have a completely factory 700 action with no work and it shoots bug holes with a Brux barrel. I also have a 40XB with a factory Krieger barrel pretty sure they are blueprinted and they shoot about the same.

If I didn't suck it would probably be better. I put 4 practically on top of each other and throw the 5th 50% of the time.
IMG_3480.JPG

A good tube and chamber do wonders.

Latest 700 with a new tube does this.

CDDB91B5-ADDB-4751-8BF8-546F27FBCC02.jpeg

Also attracts curvy ladies to see how cool my poors rifle is.
Cottage cheese, cheap perfume, and Miller Lite in a can.

Does life get any better than this?