• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

REM. 700 Bad or Boring?

Bad or Boring

• Bad

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Boring

Votes: 41 71.9%

• Total voters
This one is not that boring IMHO and the only 700 I own - turn back time to 1966 or so! Not inexpensive though, but I suppose you can make them as boring or not depending on your project and bank account. This one is so simple, but fun to shoot.

IMG_5464.JPG
IMG_5458.JPG
IMG_5471.JPG

Serious question here, everyone shooting a custom action what type of accuracy do you get from your $1,000+ action plus $600+ dollar barrel?

I ask, partly for my own information and another because I feel like after reading three pages of responses the firearms market today has turned into how deep are your pockets. If you have an unlimited budget, sure I bet you’ll put together a gun that shots .2 or .3” groups at 200-400 yards no problem.

I feel like for the fast majority of us, our groups would be fairly similar if we shot a Rem 700 w/ a Remage barrel or a sick ass custom. At the end of the day, we as humans, will piss money in the toilet purely due to being impatient. Some learn from it and only do it once, others will continue to do it.

Remington 700 has a place they are not for everyone as custom actions are something that others dream about.

I run a few Rem700 OEM actions. Very happy with the results. If I was buying new I would consider a custom for sure.

3rd barrel on this one, 145 rounds on this setup with a new Lilja 3 groove barrel. Working on load development and 3,048 MV now. Stepping up to the next node for a shoot on Tuesday.

1” coin, only a 3 shot group though @ 528 yards. Love the DTAC 115’s. At the Wyoming border so a little wind.

6A8977EB-2A06-47E3-BC1A-A6EAA813F1B4.jpeg

Serious question here, everyone shooting a custom action what type of accuracy do you get from your $1,000+ action plus $600+ dollar barrel?

Shooting has a low skill floor and high ceiling. You recognize the difference in equipment the more you progress.

I ask, partly for my own information and another because I feel like after reading three pages of responses the firearms market today has turned into how deep are your pockets. If you have an unlimited budget, sure I bet you’ll put together a gun that shots .2 or .3” groups at 200-400 yards no problem.

I feel like for the fast majority of us, our groups would be fairly similar if we shot a Rem 700 w/ a Remage barrel or a sick ass custom. At the end of the day, we as humans, will piss money in the toilet purely due to being impatient. Some learn from it and only do it once, others will continue to do it.

Remington 700 has a place they are not for everyone as custom actions are something that others dream about.
I’ve shot the same barrel in a factory and custom action.
Accuracy was the same.
Overall feel of the custom action is substantially better though

Sure, as in any other sport or hobby.

All I’m alluding to is they have a place in the food chain of firearms.

Sure - I still enjoy shooting my Savage and it hammers pretty well. Not as good as my customs, but I like it and will shoot it until it doesn't shoot any more.

I guess sometimes it depends on what you are trying to accomplish in terms of accuracy and what type of shooter and skills you have? I have seen many chase accuracy by throwing $ at it when what they really need is more experience putting rounds down range and get instruction to become better shooters.

I picked up a Howa 1500 with a 24" heavy threaded barrel - barreled receiver in 6.5 Creedmoor a year or two ago for $399 at Brownells during a great sale. I picked up a nice Bell & Carlson M40 stock and added Primary Arms 3x18x50 6.5 scope and can shoot MOA or better at 100 - 200 meters - and kill game much farther out (so spending massive $ was not necessary for my specific objective). My objective was to put together an accurate rifle $1,500 all in. This is a fine shooting weapon and if you had a 700 receiver with a decent barrel the results may be similar.

The fun of going the custom route is building something special that is your creation which is fun, but the cost per MOA can get out of control for sure. This build was ~$1,350 all in as shown and it fit my objective perfect. I am not comparing this to a custom build, but you can get a fine shooter and not totally break the bank if you are wise.

IMG_5172.JPG

I guess sometimes it depends on what you are trying to accomplish in terms of accuracy and what type of shooter and skills you have? I have seen many chase accuracy by throwing $ at it when what they really need is more experience putting rounds down range and get instruction to become better shooters.

I picked up a Howa 1500 with a 24" heavy threaded barrel - barreled receiver in 6.5 Creedmoor a year or two ago for $399 at Brownells during a great sale. I picked up a nice Bell & Carlson M40 stock and added Primary Arms 3x18x50 6.5 scope and can shoot MOA or better at 100 - 200 meters - and kill game much farther out (so spending massive $ was not necessary for my specific objective). My objective was to put together an accurate rifle $1,500 all in. This is a fine shooting weapon and if you had a 700 receiver with a decent barrel the results may be similar.

The fun of going the custom route is building something special that is your creation which is fun, but the cost per MOA can get out of control for sure. This build was ~$1,350 all in as shown and it fit my objective perfect. I am not comparing this to a custom build, but you can get a fine shooter and not totally break the bank if you are wise.

View attachment 7301753

Agreed.

By no means am I shitting on the custom actions. They are beautiful pieces of work by very talented and skilled men. I just see an industry that’s growing so fast it’s hard to keep up with unless your pockets are really deep. Which, if you’re not smart, you can chase this dream of a “custom” build.

Spending money on a class sounds like money well spent for both a hobby sport and hunting. Great point.

You are so full of shit. (respectfully :ROFLMAO: )
rem 700 ADL - 380.00
Tier one blueprinting from LRI + side bolt release + time and tig bolt handle - 465
bolt knob install - 65

Total 910 dollars
if you want M16 extractor - 175 for $1085.

Since, according to you, this is TWICE the price of a custom action, please point me in the direction of custom actions that cost 450-550 dollars.

PSSSSST hey, over here man,

?????? https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/mack-bro’s-ss-evo.6983055/#post-8256902

Shhhhhhhh now, dont hurt me for sending you what you asked for

??????????

Just wondering if the Rem 700 is that bad or if it is just boring compared to the other option available?

My favorite rifle is my old 700 XCR Long range in 223. I love the blued jeweling they do on the bolt at the factory. Its almost a work of art at least in my simple eyes. I had one in 308 as well but could never get it to shoot, but looking back at it, it may have been me versus the rifle. Workmanship is on par of my A7 and Feather Weight model 70. Ipotato really doesn't do it justice. Stock on these guns are Bell and Carson so the cut out for the ejection port isnt great but if I drop the action is almost any better stock, even that blemish would disappear.
93695817_244656406733151_8687576520241184768_n.jpg

93845679_827528014409989_7205719061164982272_n.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite rifle is my old 700 XCR Long range in 223. I love the blued jeweling they do on the bolt. Its almost a work of art at least in my simple eyes. I had one in 308 as well but could never get it to shoot, but looking back at it, it may have been me versus the rifle. Workmanship is on par of my A7 and Feather Weight model 70. Ipotato really doesn't do it justice. Stock on these guns are Bell and Carson so the cut out for the ejection port isnt great but if I drop the action is almost any better stock, even that blemish would disappear.
View attachment 7302267
View attachment 7302268

Nice

Technically, you can't be a total poor when buying a Remington 700 for a precision rifle. Or well, you can be a total poor, with no idea, and have a shitty shooting Rem 700 too, I guess. So all or nothing.

Wait....but how can that be?

Because the amount of time, energy and work that is required to be put into a factory, out of the box Remington produced in the last 10 or so years, will be almost twice as expensive as a custom action when finally brought to the same standards.

Then again that is kind a thing the poors do; pay for the same shit 2-3 times because they think they're saving money.

Carry on.

#ThePoorsMustStop

You are so full of shit. (respectfully :ROFLMAO: )
rem 700 ADL - 380.00
Tier one blueprinting from LRI + side bolt release + time and tig bolt handle - 465
bolt knob install - 65

Total 910 dollars
if you want M16 extractor - 175 for $1085.

Since, according to you, this is TWICE the price of a custom action, please point me in the direction of custom actions that cost 450-550 dollars.

Mmmyeah...I thought $1,100 sounded high for the smith work. My smith charged Less than half that (no new extractor, no side bolt release). He’s not a big name guy though. But he made my 700 shoot half moa w Hornady factory loads.

I would have bought a Tikka for my next rifle but I already owned the 700 in a 223Rem varminter. A smith friend trued the action and bolt face and lapped the lugs in trade for some 1911 go-fast parts. No new extractor or side bolt release.

So boring or not, I’ve got a half moa middle distance trainer that cost me kind of nothing.

Reactions: Widowmaker0001
I feel the real #thepoors are the ones' that talk like they are rich, mention #thepoors but are not rich and actually hate being #thepoors....lmao??

-Reagan

Last edited:
Reactions: Lionsbreath
I would agree.

I think there’s a ton of hype about trueing a 700 up when in the end is the juice really worth the squeeze?

I think if you were a gunsmith or a sponsored shooter who is truing an action at little to no cost to yourself it would be worth it because, if done well, it can't hurt.

If you are truing your action and not replacing the barrel I would argue you are wasting money.

I'd be willing to be that you wouldn't be able to find a pattern of difference between a trued and factory action after getting a new barrel spun on.

For the majority of shooters I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. You will see a much higher return on your money if you spend it on ammo and range time.

I think if you were a gunsmith or a sponsored shooter who is truing an action at little to no cost to yourself it would be worth it because, if done well, it can't hurt.

If you are truing your action and not replacing the barrel I would argue you are wasting money.

I'd be willing to be that you wouldn't be able to find a pattern of difference between a trued and factory action after getting a new barrel spun on.

For the majority of shooters I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. You will see a much higher return on your money if you spend it on ammo and range time.

Totally agree.

I also would say the money would be well spent on a LR shooting class or seminar from a reputable person or company.

If you are starting with a bare Remington action they usually don't come with a rail or a recoil lug, so there's some additional costs to figure in.

No you won't

You got a lead on a gunsmith who will true a Remington action/chamber/thread the muzzle and provide the blank for less than $525? Damn, I need his number. I'd send a ton of work his way.

Apples to apples..

Pacnor is/was/will be again decent smith and barrels. They charged about $600 to do the trueing and barrel install (barrel included).

I thought this thread went to Hell in a Drag bag... it's still alive lol

Mike R.