• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 Barrel thread specs

07yzryder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
So i had a barrel installed at a local shop. well recently i wanted it recountoured and when the new smith took it apart he gave me a call saying the firearm is NOT safe due to the threads. Im going back to the smith who did the work but id like to know what the specs on the threads should be so i can be somewhat educated in the event he denies its out of spec. Below is the image of the threads and the email i got from the current smith.

"Beside being ugly, the thread was cut with a 90 degree tool, that besides being the wrong tool, was positioned very incorrectly. Too should be a 60 degree. And the pitch diameter is totally wrong... it's .035" under minimum. The pitch major measures .040 under tolerance. Means there's only .015" (fifteen thousanths) of a inch thread engagement. "

Thanks
Robert

Attachments

• GEDC0044.jpg
    GEDC0044.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 1,670
Yep, those threads are toast.
Pretty sure Remington uses a 1-1/16" x 16 TPI.

The guy that cut those threads killed them.......

Major Dia: 1.061
Minor Dia :1.051

Max Pitch Dia : 1.024
Min Pitch Dia: 1.015

Minor Diameter ( clearance ) : .986

Reactions: p8nt
Those threads are completely out of spec.

#1. The typical / Standard OD should be 1.0625" minus .002" max. unless your receiver has been trued. Then your threads will be slightly larger but cut to match your receiver threads.

#2. Thread depth of a 1.0625" x 16 thread is approximately .054" per side, yours aren't even close.

#3. Typical "V" threads are cut at 60 degrees with proper machine/tooling setup, yours are not.

Gunsmith #1 jacked your barrel up. It's toast. The only options you have at this point are to either cut the threads off and start over or replace the barrel. Either way, GS #1 should be off the list, he should never be allowed to touch another barrel of yours

Sorry for your loss, it sucks.

Reactions: jareese
With thread quality like that, the chamber is likely toast too.

If you're threading by dimension, cal50's numbers are good for a class 2 fit. That thread is poop though, regardless of what it measures. Like you "new" smith mentioned, the profile is way, way wrong.

Reactions: jareese
Yea hoping the smith honors his work, he's been around since 72 in the same shop.... I'm meeting hum sat just glad nothing bad happened over 200 rnds down. Smith 2 also said he was able to integrate the barrel witg the lever and o tools it was thay bad.

#1. The typical / Standard OD should be 1.0625" minus .002" max. unless your receiver has been trued. Then your threads will be slightly larger but cut to match your receiver threads.

Good point and hopefully the same "smith" did not true his action.......

Guessing it looks like way to heavy a final pass or possibly a broken tool / insert and they failed to pick up the same lead / pitch.

Either way the person that did it knew it was bad before putting it together. With a defect that obvious check the headspace or anything else that they touched.

Either way the person that did it knew it was bad before putting it together. With a defect that obvious check the headspace or anything else that they touched.

You bring up two very good points:
1- the "smith" has no pride in his work nor integrity.(a very bad combination) it fails me constantly when I see work like this how one can even allow it out of their shop.
2- anything he touched on this rifle should be questioned.

Yea luckily it was only the barrel he did, Smith 2 said threads in the receiver are ok luckily. It sucks more cause it's 18 inch barrel so if the threads are cut and re cut and I have my brake installed on the end I'll be really close to sbr length..

You should only lose about 3/4" of total barrel length when you cut off the bad threads and nasty looking recoil lug shoulder. That will also give you a really good shot at getting a chamber that is concentric to the bore when it's rechambered. Depending on what you do at the muzzle that may be all you lose. Barrels are measured over their total length, not where it starts from the recoil lug or ends at a muzzle device. Only issue that you might run in to is that the barrel contour reduces down prior to where the new recoil lug shoulder would be.

Reactions: T3ninja
I recognize those threads. Years ago when I got my first lathe after graduating from Colorado School of Trades gunsmithing. I had the correct tool but did not have the compound set at the correct 29.5 deg. I've since seen this thread form from other novice machinists. The best way to keep that from happening is to feed straight in. I puts a load on the cutter but the threads are good. or make sure the compound is set right (look it up on the internet if you don't have a machinist lathe book.) I cheat now with a CNC lathe.

I have seen those threads before. In fact, a new lathe owner on another forum sent me his thread problem and I diagnosed it for him. That thread was likely cut with a correct 60 degree tool. However, the you-tube educated smith set his compound at 29.5 degrees to turn in to cut the threads. However, he set it 29.5 degrees from the spindle instead to 29.5 degrees from the cross slide line.

A rookie like that should not be chambering a barrel.
--Jerry

Reactions: MarinePMI