• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 Bolt Closes Hard

Brad27

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Upstate New York
Hey everyone,
I bought a new Rem 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor this spring and currently have around 300 rounds through it. Since it was new the bolt has been somewhat hard to close on factory ammo. I’ve also noticed some brass dust on the bolt occasionally if I’m shooting it a lot. Any suggestions on what the issue might be here? Thanks guys.

Without having some calipers and comparators it’s going to be hard to get any real data.

Does it close fine on an empty chamber?

Color a round in sharpie and see where it’s rubbing.

Sounds like the barrel is seated too deep. Strange for a factory action and barrel. I agree you should see how the action closes when empty and let us know. It’s also possible what the lugs are not square but cross that bridge when you get to it. Start with an empty chamber.

It's possible you can get some trash in the ejector hole, spring Etc. Pull your bolt and press the ejector in... probably can't do it with your finger, may need to use a screwdriver, sturdy pan, piece of wood Etc.

Rough bolt face or burr on ejector hole or extractor. Coupd also be from a galled lug. With remingrlton actions, it could be alot of issues.

Thanks for the replies. The bolt runs fine on an empty chamber. I pulled it when I got home from work and could move the ejector pretty well with an Alan key. One other thing I’ve noticed when running it is that I sometimes get brass shavings on the bolt body and in the bolt face. These were both issues when it was stock that have persisted since I dropped it in a chassis.

Get that allen key or something and see if you can move the extractor claw also. The extractor is a little spring that must move to pop over the case rim when closing the bolt. A problem here would be characterized by the bolt being hard to close at the top of the stroke, but then it would close easily after the extractor pops over the rim. Too little headspace and the bolt handle will be stiff all the way down.

Reactions: Superdog
When you close the bolt you are compressing the ejector, moving the extractor to the side and at the same time the extractor is craving it's way around out side of the rim. The carving part is where the brass shavings are coming from. It takes a bit of force to do all that at the same time. I doubt you have a problem. Just take a stiff brush and clean the bolt face occasionally.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
Thanks for the replies. I’ll try giving it a good cleaning to see if that helps. I will say that the stiffness at the top then smooth afterwards sounds familiar.