• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 Bolt issues

Duckdog

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2010
Don't know the history of this rifle, but was told low round count. Either way, the price was right. But...after taking it apart and cleaning it, I noticed this...

003.jpg

I compared it to other 700's I have, but none of them are this bolt design. I know I'm not wording that right,...but they're all a little different.

My concern is the puckered up spot. Is it something to worry about? No bore scope, but after taking it apart and running Montana Extreme, and then Wipe-out, it very well may have been a low round count. Either that, or the guy knew how to get copper out.
One more pic
002.jpg

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Re: Rem 700 Bolt issues

That looks like a botched extractor replacement job. Looks like the pried against the rim.

Lay a piece of flat stock cold rolled over the bolt nose and tap lightly with a small mallet until it lays flat.

That is a later bolt with snap in extractor and no rivet. Might shadetree it and see if you could work that hump back into place? I'd try it, you aren't going to be out anything if it don't work! Just my .02 cents worth....

An extractor swap was my thoughts also.

So, if I tap it down flat...no more worries?

Thanks for the replies guys.
Just needed to ease my mind. The price was right, so the plan is to burn it up on prairie dogs this summer then give 'er a full make over!

Thanks again.

Well guys, to keep you informed, I gave 'er a couple of love taps, and, at first everything looked great, but upon closer inspection...it cracked right at the pucker.

The crack doesn't run all the way to either edge, it's just right in the middle. So...what are my options here?

Could I dremel that section out?

Would that affect ejection?

How would I go about getting a new bolt and (generally speaking), what would that cost?

Could a smith do anything with it other than a new bolt?

Smith recommendations in Kansas city area?
*(Gap, of course, but they may not have time)so,others?

Thanks again for your help

Thanks for chiming in Mr. Kampfeld,

I guess my biggest concern would be that little piece of metal eventually breaking off. I guess even if it does, it shouldn't be a safety issue...right?

PT&G sells a replacement bolt, you can pick one up at midwayusa for about $300 if memory serves correctly or a new Remington replacement bolt or keep your eye open on Gunbroker.com for a used one if you need to save a buck. If you replace the bolt you'll have to have the head space properly set by a qualified gunsmith.

Pacific Tool and Guage... sucks to have to do it but at least you have a brand spanker new bolt at the end of it.

Oh and they just started offering one piece bolts too

I have one with the "almost" same problem. I took a dremel to the area that was rough enough to snag a wipe. Just a light polishing though. It has not caused any issues so far. I will eventually upgrade the bolt but it hasn't had a come apart so it stays for now. The old saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it has applied for me. just my opinion. T