• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 bolt w/ short shroud

rweldon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Im mocking up a m40 replica and noticed I need to find a bolt with a short shroud. My rifle is in 308...if I found a older bolt out of let's say a 220, 22-250, or 243, what modifications would need to be done for it to work w/ 308?

Re: Rem 700 bolt w/ short shroud

None, same parent case, as long as it has a notch in the right locking lug for the bolt guide rail. I say this because I've heard some of the older bolts didn't have this, but I'm not certain.

Why not chuck your shroud up in a lathe and just shorten it to length of the early 700's?

The anti bind rail was added early 70's when the letter prefix started being used in front of serial number. A newer bolt will work in the older action but an older bolt would need the slot cut in the right lug to fit into the letter prefix actions. However a newer bolt from middish 80's to present will not work with the older safety lever that locked the bolt from rotating also when in safe position.

Damn it sucks getting old!!!! I sold them to 25+ members so can't recall all the names for sure.lol

I have never done it but looked one over and don't know why it wouldn't work. I will look and see if I have an extra shroud and if so I will 'experiment'. If it works I will machine it and send it to you and you can look it over and send me a replacement if it suits you. Sound fair? Will try and do it today or tomorrow and let you know.

Dennis is the man!

Weellllllll, this is what I came up with using a new shroud off a spare bolt I had. Sorry it took so long I had to dig and couldn't find nothing but the short one pictured so tore a new assembly apart from a spare bolt. If it might meet your needs PM me an address and I will mail it tomorrow.
P1010001-5.jpg

P1010003-3.jpg

P1010006-1.jpg

You'll have to get it finished however you wish all I have is some cold blue and could use that? Don't have any blueing tanks and really no place to put them. Well, guess now that ex cheating coughwhorecough is gone I could put them in my bedroom? Then I would have essentially replaced what was there prior, a smelly stinking thing with cruddy nasty looking foam/froth leaking from every crack!!!!! At least I know without a doubt it wouldn't end up in another married guys sack though! But hey, still not bitter after almost 9 yrs.
smile.gif

Let me know grasshoppa. See, I tain't a rotten dirty whinning crippled bitter SOB like a couple of members here seem to think I am and can't seem to deal with their own narcassistic arrogance and ego
wink.gif

Here it is cold blued and installed in a correct late 60's bolt body. Should pass almost as an original short shroud!
P1010001-6.jpg