• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 Cocking Piece Broke

427Cobra

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
  • Nov 24, 2005
    DFW Texas
    The cocking piece on my Rem700 firing pin assy broke yesterday, I just got done checking NPA, and preformed 1 dry fire when it broke, the broken piece would not allow the bolt to lift at all, removed the action from the stock and then the trigger from action, a little metal piece fell out, has this ever happened to anyone else?

Re: Rem 700 Cocking Piece Broke

imagebn.jpg

I've seen this once...on a later 700 with the sintered metal cocking piece. If that's what yours is (can't quite tell from the pic), replace it with an early version.

When you replace it, make sure the leading edge of the cocking piece tang doesn't bottom out in the cutout of the bolt body when the firing pin is forward. I've seen this a few times on bolts that have had the J-lock assys. replaced with a non J-lock stuff.

Is that an aftermarket shroud?

This always can happen when harder parts get used in the actions. I have seen it maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 4 years. If it ever got overloaded or just by a small crack starting is usually how it happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that an aftermarket shroud? </div></div>

it was a GreTan

Sintered aftermarket striker with repeated bolt body contact is the cause for the breakage.
    Sintered parts won't take to work hardening.

Next question, the cocking cam on the bolt is worn, there is a little lip where the cocking piece wasn't making contact on the bolt, is this something I should really be worried about or just keep an eye on?

Polish the cocking cam in the bolt body to eliminate any wavy/stepped/galled surface area.
    Ensure there is not a burr on the cocking cam that is protruding outward of the bolt circumference.
    Blend 3/4 of the WEB between the cam & cocked detent for easier bolt cycling.

Dumb question but in the pic it looks like a piece broke off the shroud rather than the cocking piece, is this correct or are my ole' eyes just gone these days...

Tnx, Pete

Install a new cocking piece on the firing pin,with the spring off. Then drop it into the bolt body, you should have clearance between the cut out and the cocking piece, if not this is what caused it to fail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justpete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dumb question but in the pic it looks like a piece broke off the shroud rather than the cocking piece, is this correct or are my ole' eyes just gone these days...

Tnx, Pete </div></div>

It's your old eye, just kidding. The front of the cocking piece is gone the "slot" in the shroud is were this piece slides.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justpete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dumb question but in the pic it looks like a piece broke off the shroud rather than the cocking piece, is this correct or are my ole' eyes just gone these days...

Tnx, Pete </div></div>

It's your old eye, just kidding. The front of the cocking piece is gone the "slot" in the shroud is were this piece slides. </div></div>

No, you're right, my old eye (connected to my old brain) missed that the forward part that rides the cocking cam surface is, well, missing. Duh.

Went and dug out some assemblies and there it was. With three Gre-Tan assemblies installed, two with bushed bolts, but all with original Remmy shrouds, maybe it'd be a good idea to swap the stock cocking pieces back in.

Sintered, eh? An MIM part on the Gre-Tan assemblies? Well that sucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justpete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justpete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dumb question but in the pic it looks like a piece broke off the shroud rather than the cocking piece, is this correct or are my ole' eyes just gone these days...

Tnx, Pete </div></div>

It's your old eye, just kidding. The front of the cocking piece is gone the "slot" in the shroud is were this piece slides. </div></div>

No, you're right, my old eye (connected to my old brain) missed that the forward part that rides the cocking cam surface is, well, missing. Duh.

Went and dug out some assemblies and there it was. With three Gre-Tan assemblies installed, two with bushed bolts, but all with original Remmy shrouds, maybe it'd be a good idea to swap the stock cocking pieces back in.

Sintered, eh? An MIM part on the Gre-Tan assemblies? Well that sucks. </div></div>

I laugh but I'm the same damn way anymore.