• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 donor rifle?

CJS10mm

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2007
Mason County, WA
I found a good deal on a Rem 700 SPS blued in 17 Rem Fireball. Out the door the complete rifle would be about $370. I was wondering if this would be a good deal or if I am just imagining it to be one? I am looking to do a precision build that would help me learn a bunch more about smithing.
I want to have a detachable mag system that uses AI mags in a B&C stock or maybe a McMillan haven't fully decided yet.
I know that the internal box mag actions are a bit different than the detachable mag kinds. The build will be a 308.
I also realize that the bolt will need to be swapped for a 308 bolt face since the 17RFB is a .223 bolt face. Would I be able to sell the parts I'm not using to make up some of the cost, or would it not be worth the hassle to get it?

Re: Rem 700 donor rifle?

If you’re doing the work yourself go for it. Keep the bolt and make a 223 switch barrel for your second project. The DBM will be a non-issue with the Surgeon DBM. Use McMillan for the stock and have it inletted for the DBM of choice, your receiver and barrel contour.

I will be doing the work myself. I like the looks of the Surgeon bottom metal, but I was thinking of the Seekins system, but that will be a few months down the road. I never thought of the switch barrel system just because I am not sure I would use it.
The same place has a stainless rifle in .204, would the stainless actions be a better action to start with for a build? The price is about 40 bucks more.

Either receiver will work, save the $40 and use it for tooling. If you can find a receiver with the bolt face you need/want go that route even if it's more money. You should be able to find a .473" bolt face receiver for $450. The replacement bolts will be around $250 by the time you install them. IMHO, any DBM will be fine as long as it uses' the AI magazines, I'm just partial to Surgeon.

Looks like the seekins model does not use AI mags, I guess that leaves them out, unless thier mags are just as reliable, but I haven't seen anything on them to indicate that. Can anyone with experience on them weigh in on this?

I picked up both rifles for $620 with tax!
I guess they had to move them out to get more in so now the Rem 700 in 17 Rem Fireball will be a 308. I think it is worth it now to break it down and build it how I want.

Any reccomendations on tools such as action wrench and barrel vises?

Be aware, althought the Fireball has the same diameter bolt face as a .223, they are not the same. The fireball extractor is located in a different position. Also, check the feed ramps. Some of the Fireball actions use duel feed ramps, whereas, the .308 uses a single feed ramp. Don't know whether this will create any feeding issues.

Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye out for that! Why is the extractor in different location? I will just be selling the bolt on gunbroker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be aware, althought the Fireball has the same diameter bolt face as a .223, they are not the same. The fireball extractor is located in a different position. Also, check the feed ramps. Some of the Fireball actions use duel feed ramps, whereas, the .308 uses a single feed ramp. Don't know whether this will create any feeding issues. </div></div>

I asked about a Fireball a few weeks ago and got a lot of tech information. You might use the search fx and have a peek.

I think the extractor is in a different postition to facilitate extraction. Someone said it had to do with the case being so short that it would not eject with the extractor in the std position.

I don't see how this issue would cause problems with the 223 if you chambered a .221 donor action in .223 or anything longer. Maybe I am mistaken?
I may just sell the .204 complete rifle for a profit and make the 17 Rem FB action into a 300/221 since it is ready to go and this round is growing on me. Again, Thanks for all the help an info, you guys are much better to work with than other sites.

-Casey

Casey: Never tried to build a .223 on a .221 action, but I suspect a higher ejection angle may make unfired .223 cartridges harder to eject, and may may send spent cases into your scope. Plenty of cheap donor actions around. I'd look for one that suits your purpose without modification. You'll be happier in the long run.