• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rem 700 experts, need info ASAP

Bowhntr6pt

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2006
Central Florida
Posted on another site, thought I would ask here as well...

Have my eye on a like new "Remington 700 Tactical" in .308 ... at least that's what is being called, but I think it's an older Remington 700 Varmint. It's an older 700 rifle that was bought by a friend of mine back when 9-11 hit. It has the 24" bull barrel, matte finish, with a black with grey spider web stock that is being represented as kevlar, has ONE sling stud up front, not two like the PSS. Looks and feels like the stock that was on my 700 5R, which I sold and regret.

Rifle is in like new condition and is $650.00. I'm thinking that due to the stock and the rifles condition, it's not a bad deal.

Can't find any info on that specific rifle. What say the experts?

Re: Rem 700 experts, need info ASAP

Depending on what "like new" really means (i.e. how many rounds through the bore) it may be a decent deal.

Remington made MANY, MANY versions of the 700 with varying stocks and barrel lengths. Don't worry about trying to find specific data on that model. Just worry about the condition of the rifle and how it shoots.

Sounds like a Varmint, if the stock is as you say,and the grip area is thin. No stamping on the barrel??
Curt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Netz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a Varmint, if the stock is as you say,and the grip area is thin. No stamping on the barrel??
Curt </div></div>

Yep, grip area is thin with no palm swell. Did not notice any special markings on the barrel. Rifle has less than 200 rounds through it... bolt face has no noticable marks or wear. Actually, can't see any marks but friend did say he fired it some.

Can't test fire it to see how well it shoots as it is now at a local shop. Friend never tried to shoot for accuracy when he had it, just plinking and what not with a budget scope.

My thought is if it shoots under 1", it's most likely a good deal given the stock that is on it... at least that's my thought at this point.

Oh well... I'll make an offer and see where it goes from there.

Sounds like a VS(Varmint Synthetic) model prior to going to 26" tube? Should be a shooter if it isn't wore out now, most were/are! Stock is NOT Kevlar but the standard HS Precision if indeed a stock VS.

Just bought a brand new Remington SPS tactical 308 for $650 at a local shop, already started ordering stuff so hopefully I will have a good LR gun for under 1k