• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700 Extractor

riverman1

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2012
Edgewood, Texas
Hey Guys,

I am looking for a recommendation on a smith to install an M-16/Sako extractor on my 700 bolt. I don't mind shipping it if I can get a decent turn around time.

Thanks, in advance.

Rivers

I am having issues.

This is a long action chambered in 6.5-284. It's an old single rivet style. I don't remember the year, but the action is old enough that it is factory drilled and tapped for a receiver peep sight. It's wearing a Shilen barren, in a McMillan stock. It has turned out to be a real shooter.

When a round is chambered, the extractor will not snap over the case head, thus preventing the bolt from closing into full battery. I can pull the bolt and manipulate the case under the extractor, but it will not work normally. I can install a factory style replacement, easily enough, but I am led to believe the m-16 extractor would be an upgrade.

Rivers

Sturgis, SD. Here's the listing copied directly from the store along with the link.

LRI Outlet Store
READ ME: HOW TO ORDER FROM LRI
Search
Menu
Cart
HomeGunsmithing Services › GUNSMITHING SERVICES: AR-15/M-16 Extractor installation to Remington Bolt w/optional dual ejector plunger
GUNSMITHING SERVICES: AR-15/M-16 Extractor installation to Remington Bolt w/optional dual ejector plunger

NOTE: Gunsmithing Services are invasive and will most often (directly with tooling or indirectly with work holding) damage existing surface finishes on parts such as receivers. LRI offers a full menu of finish options for your components, please ensure you have also added an appropriate finish option to your cart if applicable.
FINISH OPTIONS
Cerakote (most popular)
Parkerize Carbon Steel Action
Parkerize Carbon Steel Bolt
Glass Bead Stainless
GUNSMITHING SERVICES: AR-15/M-16 EXTRACTOR INSTALLATION TO REMINGTON BOLT W/OPTIONAL DUAL EJECTOR PLUNGER
  • $ 17500
EXTRACTOR AND FITTINGM16 EXTRACTOR AND FITTINGM16 EXTRACTOR AND INSTALLATION, + DUAL EJECT
M16 EXTRACTOR AND FITTING - $ 175.00 USD M16 EXTRACTOR AND INSTALLATION, + DUAL EJECT - $ 232.65 USD

Quantity Add to Cart

The AR-15 /M-16 Extractor installation to an M700 bolt has become a very popular and almost required upgrade for a number of applications. The factory extractor is good. Very good-right up to the point that it isn't. When working with magnum bolt face cartridges, the AR-15/M-16 extractor is almost a must-have as the riveted factory piece is known to be problematic.
The AR-15/M-16 Extractor service is applicable to bolts for the following Remington actions: M700, M7, 40X, 788, 721, 722
The Dual Ejector modification is only applicable to the M700, M7, 40X, 721, 722

LRI starts this process a little differently. A close inspection of factory bolts will show a number of intricate machined features where the factory extractor resides. These features can have a detrimental effect on the operation of the rifle with the an AR-15 extractor.
Because of this, the first thing we do is fit a bushing to the bolt face. Our bushings are threaded. State of the art machining centers fitted with 3D electronic probing packages allows us to accurately position the part.
By knowing exactly where the part is, machining strategies can be implemented to deliver a true mechanical lock between the two pieces. Threading delivers a powerful means of mechanically locking the two parts together. Most shops rely on epoxy which is known to fail over time from exposure to solvents, lubricants, and the shock/recoil from use. We've experimented with various ways to lock the threads. The process we've settled upon is the use of low temperature solder. Solder delivers the strongest means of bonding the two parts together permanently so that the insert can never rotate inside the nose of the bolt.

20180419_130323_large.jpg

20180419_130327_large.jpg

Threading, involves no heat. In fact the part is submerged in flood coolant during the entire process. The bushing we make literally threads right into the nose feature on the bolt body.
20180507_100815_large.jpg

The next phase involves facing the bushing flush with the existing nose of the bolt. Next, the ID is bored to the appropriate cartridge size, the bolt face is surfaced to ensure perpendicularity to the body axis, and edge break features are machined to enhance reliable function while also avoiding abuse on brass case rims from sharp edges.
20180507_103644_large.jpg

This process also allows us to include additional features such as dual ejectors* for situations where the altered ejection angle can cause issues with large scope turrets and striker bushings* to address the issue of cratered primers.
*NOTE: These are optional services
20180423_165711_large.jpg

This concludes the first operation. From here the part is transferred to a fixture where the inletting work is done. The bolt body is again probed to ensure the machine knows the exact orientation. One fixture built to take advantage of 4 axis capability allows for consolidation of the job. What this means: Pin holes and pocket features unique to this service are accurately located and machined. The risk of tolerance stacking and work holding errors are minimized tremendously because the part is physically positioned in one setup.
20180507_102233_large.jpg

20180423_173100_large.jpg

20180423_173108_large.jpg

20180507_103024_large.jpg

We didn't stop there. A variety of companies are making the M16 type extractor for bolt action rifles. Within that community exists small, yet important differences. None are really better than the other, however it does require one to be "on the ball" so that the appropriate program is loaded in the machine. This is complication that leads to mistakes. Our solution; start making our own.
DSC0028_large.JPG

The LRI M16 extractor is compatible for both .480 and .545 bolt face cartridges. .308 and Standard Magnum. We also offer a mini extractor for rifles chambered in 223, pictured below.
Mini extractor

The extractors are 100% machined from chromoly bar stock. The existing extractor design is quite good. We didn't make the effort to reinvent any wheels. That said, some small changes were made. The claw feature now has a .005" radius to mitigate abuse to the case rim. Additionally, radius features were substituted on the pin boss rather than the conventional 45* chamfer.
The outside radius is surface machined rather than contoured. Takes a little longer to do, but it simplified the work holding. Last, we added our logo.
Once complete, they are shipped to a well vetted heat treatment facility in Seattle, WA. Seattle is noteworthy because of its heavy aerospace manufacturing presence. The high standards of that community ensures we enjoy reliable and predictable outcome.

• BE THE FIRST TO REVIEW THIS PRODUCT
Powered By Kudobuzz
Share Tweet 0 Pin it Fancy +1
WE ALSO RECOMMEND
GUNSMITHING SERVICES:  BOLT FLUTING
GUNSMITHING SERVICES: BOLT FLUTING
$ 3000

GUNSMITHING SERVICES:  Remington M700, Howa 1500, and Winchester M70 Tactical Bolt Knob Installation
GUNSMITHING SERVICES: Remington M700, Howa 1500, and Winchester M70 Tactical Bolt Knob Installation
$ 6500

GUNSMITHING SERVICES:  Cerakote Application
GUNSMITHING SERVICES: Cerakote Application
$ 1500

GUNSMITHING SERVICES: Muzzle Threading AND Crowning service
GUNSMITHING SERVICES: Muzzle Threading AND Crowning service
$ 7500

GUNSMITHING SERVICES:  Barrel Fluting
GUNSMITHING SERVICES: Barrel Fluting
$ 17500

SERVICES
CUSTOM RIFLES
AUTOMOTIVE PARTS

GET IN TOUCH
3570 Mayer Ave, Suite B
Sturgis, SD 57785
Phone: 605.490.2561
Fax: 605.206.7820
[email protected]
GROUP BUYS
2015-2019
Accurizing, Barreling, Coating,
GROUP BUY

• American Express
  • Diners Club
  • Discover
  • Jcb
  • Master
  • Shopify Pay
  • Visa
REVIEWS

Sturgis, SD. Here's the listing copied directly from the store along with the link.

LRI Outlet Store
READ ME: HOW TO ORDER FROM LRI
Search
Menu
Cart
HomeGunsmithing Services › GUNSMITHING SERVICES: AR-15/M-16 Extractor installation to Remington Bolt w/optional dual ejector plunger
GUNSMITHING SERVICES: AR-15/M-16 Extractor installation to Remington Bolt w/optional dual ejector plunger

NOTE: Gunsmithing Services are invasive and will most often (directly with tooling or indirectly with work holding) damage existing surface finishes on parts such as receivers. LRI offers a full menu of finish options for your components, please ensure you have also added an appropriate finish option to your cart if applicable.
FINISH OPTIONS
Cerakote (most popular)
Parkerize Carbon Steel Action
Parkerize Carbon Steel Bolt
Glass Bead Stainless
GUNSMITHING SERVICES: AR-15/M-16 EXTRACTOR INSTALLATION TO REMINGTON BOLT W/OPTIONAL DUAL EJECTOR PLUNGER
  • $ 17500
EXTRACTOR AND FITTINGM16 EXTRACTOR AND FITTINGM16 EXTRACTOR AND INSTALLATION, + DUAL EJECT
M16 EXTRACTOR AND FITTING - $ 175.00 USD M16 EXTRACTOR AND INSTALLATION, + DUAL EJECT - $ 232.65 USD

Quantity Add to Cart

The AR-15 /M-16 Extractor installation to an M700 bolt has become a very popular and almost required upgrade for a number of applications. The factory extractor is good. Very good-right up to the point that it isn't. When working with magnum bolt face cartridges, the AR-15/M-16 extractor is almost a must-have as the riveted factory piece is known to be problematic.
The AR-15/M-16 Extractor service is applicable to bolts for the following Remington actions: M700, M7, 40X, 788, 721, 722
The Dual Ejector modification is only applicable to the M700, M7, 40X, 721, 722

LRI starts this process a little differently. A close inspection of factory bolts will show a number of intricate machined features where the factory extractor resides. These features can have a detrimental effect on the operation of the rifle with the an AR-15 extractor.
Because of this, the first thing we do is fit a bushing to the bolt face. Our bushings are threaded. State of the art machining centers fitted with 3D electronic probing packages allows us to accurately position the part.
By knowing exactly where the part is, machining strategies can be implemented to deliver a true mechanical lock between the two pieces. Threading delivers a powerful means of mechanically locking the two parts together. Most shops rely on epoxy which is known to fail over time from exposure to solvents, lubricants, and the shock/recoil from use. We've experimented with various ways to lock the threads. The process we've settled upon is the use of low temperature solder. Solder delivers the strongest means of bonding the two parts together permanently so that the insert can never rotate inside the nose of the bolt.

20180419_130323_large.jpg

20180419_130327_large.jpg

Threading, involves no heat. In fact the part is submerged in flood coolant during the entire process. The bushing we make literally threads right into the nose feature on the bolt body.
20180507_100815_large.jpg

The next phase involves facing the bushing flush with the existing nose of the bolt. Next, the ID is bored to the appropriate cartridge size, the bolt face is surfaced to ensure perpendicularity to the body axis, and edge break features are machined to enhance reliable function while also avoiding abuse on brass case rims from sharp edges.
20180507_103644_large.jpg

This process also allows us to include additional features such as dual ejectors* for situations where the altered ejection angle can cause issues with large scope turrets and striker bushings* to address the issue of cratered primers.
*NOTE: These are optional services
20180423_165711_large.jpg

This concludes the first operation. From here the part is transferred to a fixture where the inletting work is done. The bolt body is again probed to ensure the machine knows the exact orientation. One fixture built to take advantage of 4 axis capability allows for consolidation of the job. What this means: Pin holes and pocket features unique to this service are accurately located and machined. The risk of tolerance stacking and work holding errors are minimized tremendously because the part is physically positioned in one setup.
20180507_102233_large.jpg

20180423_173100_large.jpg

20180423_173108_large.jpg

20180507_103024_large.jpg

We didn't stop there. A variety of companies are making the M16 type extractor for bolt action rifles. Within that community exists small, yet important differences. None are really better than the other, however it does require one to be "on the ball" so that the appropriate program is loaded in the machine. This is complication that leads to mistakes. Our solution; start making our own.
DSC0028_large.JPG

The LRI M16 extractor is compatible for both .480 and .545 bolt face cartridges. .308 and Standard Magnum. We also offer a mini extractor for rifles chambered in 223, pictured below.
Mini extractor

The extractors are 100% machined from chromoly bar stock. The existing extractor design is quite good. We didn't make the effort to reinvent any wheels. That said, some small changes were made. The claw feature now has a .005" radius to mitigate abuse to the case rim. Additionally, radius features were substituted on the pin boss rather than the conventional 45* chamfer.
The outside radius is surface machined rather than contoured. Takes a little longer to do, but it simplified the work holding. Last, we added our logo.
Once complete, they are shipped to a well vetted heat treatment facility in Seattle, WA. Seattle is noteworthy because of its heavy aerospace manufacturing presence. The high standards of that community ensures we enjoy reliable and predictable outcome.