• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 firing spring recommendations

JCCinOhio

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2014
Watching WAYYYY to many youtube videos.. Thinking I need a new firing pin spring for my .308 Rem 700, have no idea what the differences are.

Tubb duo spring sounded good, but what's the reality? Just go with a stock spring? Advice appreciated.

Thanks

What's wrong with the spring you have?
It's about 5 yrs old, with ~1000 rounds.. I store the rifle without the bolt in, so the bolt remains in the cocked position. Not sure if it's having an impact on ignition or not. Just now starting to attempt to shoot past 300 yds (eventually to 1000).

Watching WAYYYY to many youtube videos.. Thinking I need a new firing pin spring for my .308 Rem 700, have no idea what the differences are.

Tubb duo spring sounded good, but what's the reality? Just go with a stock spring? Advice appreciated.

Thanks

The link is a clip of a dual valve spring setup running to a crank speed of 8,000 rpm. That pencils out to around 60 cycles a second, so it'd take around 16 seconds to get to the number of cycles on your Remmy. This would represent a fringe example of what springs are subjected to. Now take a few steps back and think about the ones in your daily driver vehicle. They work and last for ###,###s of miles. -literally, millions/tens of millions of cycles.

By comparison, the striker spring in your rifle lives a pretty quiet/comfy life. Unless you are suffering light strikes or seeing elevation in your plots, your spring is fine.

C.

Reactions: whatsupdoc
What's the advantage of a lite firing pin?
Without a doubt smoother than the old Rem 700 factory high tolerance 🙄 piece of crap I replaced after thousands of rounds on it.

The shit people replace on thier rifles but yeah Greg is selling snake oil. 🙄

Greg is good people and I like his products, methodology and customer service. Money well spent for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCCinOhio
Not sure I was having problem with my trg 22 and was having issues with flyers. On barrel #2 trying to sort it out. My rifle was a 2008 so a pretty old spring. Always would shoot 3 in about .25-.3 of a inch and I would get 2 weird flyers. Replaced my spring yesterday and I shot 4 .25-.35inch 5 groups yesterday. Spring was about 1/2 inch shorter than the new one. They do get old.

Replace if you must, however its not going to make you hit at 300 and beyond. If you only have 1000 rounds down the barrel in 5 years, you might need too shoot more.