• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 help

justin.carrier

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2012
North Carolina
So, I've got a Remington 700 AAC .308. I am having issues replacing the barrel nut for an AAC brake. I have heard that it is only supposed to be hand tight. I have went as far as vice grips and still to no avail! Help?

Re: Rem 700 help

Barrel nut? Factory Remington rifles don't have barrel nuts...and what would that have to do with a brake?

ETA: I just figured out you're talking about the thread protector, not the barrel nut. So its so tight you can't get it off? Try some PB blaster where the thread protector meets the shoulder and try to squirt some down from the top into the threads. If that doesn't help, try some CLP Powder Blaster.

Re: Rem 700 help

Thanks everyone. I got it off. Kroil, pb blaster, heat and muscle. I was wondering if anyone knew the shim size for an AAC blackout brake on this rifle?