• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 in .308

nucstl1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2009
Peoria, Illinois
I know this question has only been asked a million times. I am getting back into a bolt gun, and plan to go with a Rem 700 in .308. I probably wont get out past 500 yards, so I am wondering if something with less than the 26 barrel on my previous PSS will suit my needs? I see LTR, SPS, and a 700P as some intial Rem 700 options. Any pro's and cons to either route?

Re: Rem 700 in .308

The sps has a plastic stockt that needs to be changed quickly, other than that its g2g. The ltr is shorter(a plus to most)and still produces great results. Im not sure about the 700p so my advice is stick to the sps or ltr and upgrade as you go.

Thanks! I picked up an AICS in a trade already, so stock replacement is part of the plan. Base and rings will probably be Badger, and the glass will be NF or Leupold(which ever is affordable at the time. From a custom work perspective, I will get the bolt knob replaced, and save up for tuning work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnapstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a remmy 5r. there just amazing</div></div>

Does the 5R come in anything besides stainless? That's all I have seen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nucstl1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnapstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a remmy 5r. there just amazing</div></div>

Does the 5R come in anything besides stainless? That's all I have seen. </div></div>

Nope, SS only.

Start with the SPS and upgrade as needed. You will be money ahead in the end.

would you consider a remy 40xb tactical ? it works in the AICS perfectly too. i have mine only a short while but love it

Is a muzzle brake effective on the 20" barrel of the SPS??? I Know ....dumb question....but really......I got an answer form a local gunsmith but I want a diverse opinion...

Thanks Guys. This is good stuff. Now I am pondering selling off a larue upper to expedite the Rem 700 acquisition.

They should be. All it does is reduce felt recoil and reduce muzzle rise and clean up the blast signature depending upon the caliber and design. Its doesnt "suppress" or "silence" the weapon. Thats what I know. Im sure there are more educated answers than mine

i just painted mine with spray paint ill try to get a pic up for u to check it out
308-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the goods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just painted mine with spray paint ill try to get a pic up for u to check it out
308-1.jpg
</div></div>

Looks good. Did you have to prep the barrel and receiver? I had my eye on a 5R at a local shop but they wanted my first born for it. Guess I will keep my eyes open for something online.

Another question....20inch or 26inch when considering factory barrels? How much more do I get out of a 26 inch bbl than I will out of a 20 inch considering I probably won't shoot a whole lot past 500yds.

You really arent going to see any difference inside 500 with a 20 vs 26. If you search you can find an article where testing was done and they found full powder burn at 18 and someone from this board has a video up of shooting to 1k with one..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nucstl1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnapstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a remmy 5r. there just amazing</div></div>

Does the 5R come in anything besides stainless? That's all I have seen. </div></div>

the rifling is different it has a faster twist rate 1/11.25 than other rem 308s at 1/12

I have both a SPS and a 5R. 5R out of the box shot 1/2 MOA groups (5 shot), the SPS (1MOA). The 5R feels like it's put together better. Hard to identify why, but I like shooting it more. Stock is definitely better. Can be creokoted, but I like the stainless look. Rifling is definitely different and I feel it's easier to clean than the SPS.

Neither is a bad choice.

Robert