• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rem 700 internal mag scrating brass?

sneaton

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
i have a new rem 700 sps tac and when chambering from the mag it leaves a scratch down the side of the brass. is this normal with a new gun? when i single load its fine so i know its the mag lips. im planning on adding a new stock and dbm eventually so that should fix the problem but in the mean time im trying to decide what to do. what would a gunsmith charge to polish the mag lips and is it worth doing?

thanks in advance

It's very normal. Its the feed lips, mine experienced other issues and was sent back for warranty, I expressed concern for this and they addressed this issue as well. As long as it's not gouging the brass deeply it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, after a few hundred rounds, it may work itself out.

Buy some 800 grit sandpaper from your local auto store and polish it yourself. 5 minute job, if you take your time.

My 5R does the same thing, but I've only put 70 rounds through it. I might give that sandpaper thing a try.

My 10 rd. and 5 rd. AI .308 mags did the same thing when new. I just buffed the edges with fine grit emery paper until smooth as a baby's butt. No more case scratches.

I got the same out of a 700P. Never sent it back. Shoots like a dream.
Might try the sandpaper, but I think I don't want to mess with it...