• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

REM 700 LA HELP ME DESIGN/BUILD MY RIFLE (1000 YDS Target Rifle)

joker1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2013
Hey to everyone. (NEW GUY HERE for real)

I have lately gotten the "bug" to build a bolt rifle lately and am really looking for some good input here.It has been semi automatic for me up to this point.
I want to do it on a REM 700 long action and at this point,I have ZERO parts bought.(DO NOT wanna drop any cash until I know what direction I am heading. ;) ) I have many questions answered,but have several more I need answered before I feel comfortable buying anything. Keep in mind,I have NEVER owned a REM 700 in my life history,just going off of all the "chat" I see on line.When it comes to the REM 700,I am WAAAAY ignorant fellas.

I know "looks wise" what I want,but the important "tech" items are where I am getting a little lost.I will start with what I DO know and want and then end with what I DO NOT know shit about.

#1 I want a 700 that looks mostly/some what military "ISH". I love the M 24 rigs,but AM NOT liking everything about them.
I will be using an H&S pecision stock,but with out the adjustable rear butt stock.The L.O.P on a factory style stock fits me well.(still has aluminum bedding rail in stock)

#2 A factory REM reciever: How many rounds fit in a stock reciever mag well with NO detachable magazine.I see talk of "bottom metal" "floor plate" under the reciever???Need this explained to me. If the factory well holds like 5 or so,I really do not require a detachable mag.

#3 I will be doing a 24"-26" barrel of a good brand.(probably Kreiger???) I know MANY,MANY folks on here are running the M 24 contoured barrel. I am thinking I would like MORE of a "Bull Barrel" contour with like a .920-.975 + or - muzzle diameter. Would I have any problems here? Could I still get a bigger than M 24 contour barrel threaded in that 5/8" x24 for a supressor or muzzle brake??? I need advise om rifling also. How many twist 1.10
1.12 ETC. Are the new 5 rifling barrels all that important over a 4 ?

#4 Caliber of round to use: I AM NOT doing a .308 round. I am leaning towards a 260 REM/6.5/6 MM or something of that nature? I am NOT wanting a "barrel burner" round like a 300 WM , 338 L or any thing of that nature where I would be "trashing " a barrel at 1200-1500 rounds. Remember,I just want to do 1000 YDS accurate. I dont really need to reach out beyond it. What other rounds that produce longer barel life but good accuracy are out there???? HELP ME OUT HERE!!!!!!!!

#5 Triggers: (I know,opinions vary much on this subject! :) ) Some guys run Remington X triggers,(THEN I hear guys "shitting all over" Remington triggers?)some Timney,some Jewel. What opinions here and why????

#6 How important is a STEEL trigger guard? ??? I hear this mentioned many times,but dont understand what is important here?

#7 Safetys: I need some education here as well. I have been reading about the safetys being different on older and newer Remington chassis.(I think the locations are different on the reciever?????) What should I be looking for here ???

#8 Scopes and mounting: This is the LAST thing on my plate at this time,but will leave it open for input. (I want to build the rifle first,then worry about this one. ) I see MOST folks have a 20 M.O.A base they use. I see companys like BADGER sells them with more M.O.A like 30 and 45. Why would one change this so dramatically for? Should the mount and rings be steel??? (THAT is what I am thinking)

Like I said,I do not mind purchasing the components,I just DO NOT like getting wrong ones that I cannot use or should not be using. Thanks for all of the helpful input.

As far as scopes,I am kind of leaning towards a Nightforce or something of that equivilent. A S & Bender is not in my future! :)

Last edited:
I would start with a cheap stock rifle in a decent size cal like 270 then start reloading first. If you want 1K yards you will have to learn to handload 1st I would think

I have some of the best loaders in the country at my disposal 105gr. But I DO know what you are saying. ;)

I started with a Remington 700 Sendero in 7mm mag for 1000ydrs it shot better than I did in the beginning and reloaded for it, very good starting point- the stock I started with was a prone stock-I have the prone stock up for trade now on the PX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
280 Remington or 280AI would be a great performer in a long action. You can expect a couple thousand rounds of barrel life which is in line with most good long range chamberings. Any cartridge can be loaded down a little to extend barrel life if desired.

Honestly the best value is to find a used custom rifle right here in the classifieds. That is what I did with my most of my rifles. I paid $1900 for my go-to Tactical rifle which would have cost me $3500 to have built brand new. If you buy a used rifle and for some reason you don't like that used rifle just sell it. You'll likely get all your money back. Repeat as necessary till satisfied. Kinda fun deciding what you like and don't like about each rifle too!

I can tell you right now that by the time you've piece mealed the parts and labor for a new build you'll spend much more than you had anticipated. Unless of course you are a machinist and will be doing the labor yourself.

Bushnell HDMR's are a very good value for the money. Of the various higher quality rings I've used ARC are my preferred.

If you have the money and don't want to jack around with the learning curve just get a used Accuracy International and be done. I personally don't like 60 degree bolt throw or 2 stage triggers but there's a lot to be said for robust and reliable rifles that were designed to run in any environment.

Any cartridge can be loaded down a little to extend barrel life if desired.

Honestly the best value is to find a used custom rifle right here in the classifieds. ...would have cost me $3500 to have built brand new. If you buy a used rifle and for some reason you don't like that used rifle just sell it. You'll likely get all your money back. Repeat as necessary till satisfied. Kinda fun deciding what you like and don't like about each rifle too!

I can tell you right now that by the time you've piece mealed the parts and labor for a new build you'll spend much more than you had anticipated. Unless of course you are a machinist and will be doing the labor yourself.

Bushnell HDMR's are a very good value for the money.

If you have the money and don't want to jack around with the learning curve just get a used Accuracy International and be done. I personally don't like 60 degree bolt throw or 2 stage triggers but there's a lot to be said for robust and reliable rifles that were designed to run in any environment.

This gentleman knows what he's talking about, and I hear that he shoots purdee damn good sometimes as well.;) You may want to also consider what components are currently available, as it would be the shits to build/buy something and not have food to feed her.

Here's a better Hide search engine. Only you know what will work for you and what your preferences are. A bunch of answers below, just type in the questions;

Hide better search engine https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=007096545427855911867:ctwic15w-oc

I started with a Remington 700 Sendero in 7mm mag for 1000ydrs it shot better than I did in the beginning and reloaded for it, very good starting point- the stock I started with was a prone stock-I have the prone stock up for trade now on the PX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I had the 700 Police .300 win mag which is basically a Sendero. Put a 20 moa badger ordnance rail, a 5.5x22x50 NF with badger rings and a thruster muzzle brake. At 1200 yards I could print 8" groups with a 208 amax and Reloader 22. Shot that barrel out, put a broughton 5c 1:10 30" barrel on, had the action trued, and dropped it into an AICS.
Shoots the 230 bergers FAST. lots of things you can do with a 700, literally the possibilities are endless.

Why a long action if you are interested in the .260 and 6mm's?

Like I originally posted,NO round has been chosen yet. (A 6.5x55 is a long action I am thinking??)Long action would also make for possible later barrel upgrade to longer round of "what ever"???

If you decide to go the used route, I have a GAP 260 for sale in the classified's...Remington 700 based, Mcmillan stock, 1/4 MOA rifle for 2 grand...should get you out to 1000 no problem...

30.06? Plentiful factory ammo as well as reloading components.