• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 LA or GAP Templar LA for 338 / AICS Build?

kft101

Objective
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
NY
Hi, guys.

Hope this is the right forum section to be asking this...

Anyway, I'm looking at a 338 lapua build for my next project. I'm going to get it custom built and looking at putting it onto an AICS stock.

With that in mind, am I stuck getting a Remington 700 long action and then having that modified to fire a 338 lapua, as what will fit onto an AICS is pretty much limited?

I was leaning more toward a custom action specifically designed and tailored for the 338 lapua, as in my opinion, it's better to use something as it was specifically manufactured for, instead of modifying it.

With that, I see that GAP's Templar long actions have bolt diameters good for 338 lapua. Specifically, will the Templar fit onto an AICS?

And lastly, I see a lot of 338 lapua builds on AICS stocks using the Badger M2008 action. The Badger website says their actions "can be fit" onto an AICS. Does that mean the stock chassis will have to be modified to accept a M2008?

Any info or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks, guys.

Ken

Re: Rem 700 LA or GAP Templar LA for 338 / AICS Build?

I'm thinking that you cant get a templar from GAP unless you have them build it. Could be wrong though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpreston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking that you cant get a templar from GAP unless you have them build it. Could be wrong though. </div></div>

That's what I'm planning if I go the Templar route.

But they said the AICS would need to be modified to accept the Templar action.

If that's the case (having to modify an AICS) maybe the Badger M2008 would be a better 338 lapua action? Anybody with input that or any other actions for the 338 that would work on an AICS?

Im fairly confident that the AICS would have to be modified to accept the Templar LA.

I know that a Templar SA will not fit in a SA AICS without modification.

Get a surgeon xl.

Doesn't Defiance Machine make the Templar? If so that would be another option without having to use GAP.....not that that is a bad thing, just gives you some more options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't Defiance Machine make the Templar? If so that would be another option without having to use GAP.....not that that is a bad thing, just gives you some more options. </div></div>

Yep , Glenn makes actions for several top end gun builders. The only differance in the foot print of the Tenplar and the Rem 700 in the barrel tennon is a little longer so the recoild lug recess with have to be moved forward a little , no big deal at all fit wise.

if you go the Rem 700 route I'd just replace the bolt with a coned bolt from PT&G.

best bet would be to save a little extra money and get the Surgen or Badger action made for the bigger round so you can push it a little if you feel the need

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't Defiance Machine make the Templar? If so that would be another option without having to use GAP.....not that that is a bad thing, just gives you some more options. </div></div>

Yep , Glenn makes actions for several top end gun builders. The only differance in the foot print of the Tenplar and the Rem 700 in the barrel tennon is a little longer so the recoild lug recess with have to be moved forward a little , no big deal at all fit wise.

if you go the Rem 700 route I'd just replace the bolt with a coned bolt from PT&G.

best bet would be to save a little extra money and get the Surgen or Badger action made for the bigger round so you can push it a little if you feel the need </div></div>

Yeah, that's what I'm leaning toward now, a custom action specifically made for the 338 lapua round. It just irks me at having to modify a $1k stock to get it to work.

Does anyone know anything about the actions on Remington's 338 lapua rifles? Did they do anything to beef it up for the round? Or did they just open up the face of a normal long action bolt and such?

The remington action is fine to build a 338 Lapua off of , unless you either get a weak action or you do somthing realy stupid with reloading you should be fine.

I have a friend that has a 30x338 Lapua and is on his 3rd barrel , the action is a standard Remington with a PT&G bolt the action and bolt have over 2000 rounds on them and the lugs look perfect on both the bolt and reciever their is no evidence of lug setback with either and he runs some stout load out of that chamber.

If you have a rem action i'd use it , if you don't then go with a custom like Defiance. I personaly won't do another custome with the extended barrel tennon , don't think it ads anything to the function or accuracy at all

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The remington action is fine to build a 338 Lapua off of , unless you either get a weak action or you do somthing realy stupid with reloading you should be fine.

I have a friend that has a 30x338 Lapua and is on his 3rd barrel , the action is a standard Remington with a PT&G bolt the action and bolt have over 2000 rounds on them and the lugs look perfect on both the bolt and reciever their is no evidence of lug setback with either and he runs some stout load out of that chamber.

If you have a rem action i'd use it , if you don't then go with a custom like Defiance. I personaly won't do another custome with the extended barrel tennon , don't think it ads anything to the function or accuracy at all </div></div>

Thanks for the input. I may just do a Rem 700 338 build, as I really don't want to have to modify the AICS to make it work.

Another hide member has a GAP worked bolt and barrel in 338 for a rifle kit he's selling. What work, if any, will need to be done to these parts to get it to work in another Rem 700 long action?

Thanks again.

The GAP Templar LA for the 338 Lapua is a Bigger Action than a Rem 700 and has a .750 OD bolt to accomadate the 338 Lapua/Rigby boltface. And is every bit as strong at the Badger 2008 or Surgeon XL.

All 3 are great actions but dont think that any one is inferior to another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The GAP Templar LA for the 338 Lapua is a Bigger Action than a Rem 700 and has a .750 OD bolt to accomadate the 338 Lapua/Rigby boltface. And is every bit as strong at the Badger 2008 or Surgeon XL.

All 3 are great actions but dont think that any one is inferior to another. </div></div>

Thanks for the info, George.

Another hide member has a 338 lapua bolt and barrel worked by you guys for another custom build. If I get a Rem 700 long action, will those parts need to be worked over again to get it to work with the new action?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The remington action is fine to build a 338 Lapua off of , unless you either get a weak action or you do somthing realy stupid with reloading you should be fine.

If you have a rem action i'd use it , if you don't then go with a custom like Defiance. I personaly won't do another custome with the extended barrel tennon , don't think it ads anything to the function or accuracy at all </div></div>

Shit storms have developed YEARS ago concerning building a 338LM using a standard magnum Remington LA. There are many in service and although are not prone to become hand grenades-you have to ask yourself WHY are the custom actions using a .750 diameter bolt when the 700 has a .700 bolt? For the amount of work required to have a 700 worked to accept the 338LM,both on the action and bolt (bolt faced machined,sako or other extractor installed, feed rails machined ,etc.) you could have a custom action from many other suppliers. Regardless of what you MAY think-you ARE going to shoot max loads out of it. If you aren't what's the purpose of going to a 338LM in the first place. Keeping your loads within "safe" limits isn't going to give you the velocity.

Buy a custom action. As far as Remington marketing a 338LM? If you felt confident and had NO doubts-chances are you wouldn't ask. Especially now using the C.I.P. specs you want more metal between you and that case you are about to touch off. Listen to George. And in the mean time try to take a look at some of the custom 338 actions and compare them to a standard Remington 700 long action magnum. You'll see what I mean.