• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

REM 700 longrange

cmy six

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2020
well with the economy like it is some people get in a jam , need cash So I saw a Remington 700 long range with a viper vortex scope, bi-pod and a plano hard case for sale for $1100, I offered $1000 he took it, Now mind you, ALL I have heard is how horrible Remington's Quality has been the last many years, But for a $1000 I figured how bad could I get hurt? I did the serial # and it looks like a 2016. Well I'm more worried now, So I sent it to a gunsmith to have it looked at to see if it was worth "blueprinting", He said it looked like it was barely shot and he saw nothing he didn't like , so on with the work well the barrel was square and the receiver was only a .001 out, going to have the barrel cryo'd, bigger screws for the scope mount, he didn't like the weaver rail that was on the gun, So we went with a TPS rail. lap the scope mounts too, Trigger Tech Trigger set to 2 lbs 13 oz, , part of the blueprinting is load data, he's going out to the range with it to proof it and see what it likes to shoot, as far as bullets I'm going to stay between 165 to 190 grains, anybody got any pet loads you'd like to share? I AM SORRY, 30-06 you know that old absolute caliber

Last edited:
Why are you lapping scope rings?

Better question what rings are you using?

And why enlarge the scope base holes if the reciever is square?

He is taking your rifle to the range to outs rounds down the barrel to tell you what the barrel likes? Thats sounds like a waste of a smiths time that can be doing actual work.

Also what kinda of viper vortex is it? What bipod?

And why enlarge the scope base holes if the reciever is square?

He is taking your rifle to the range to outs rounds down the barrel to tell you what the barrel likes? Thats sounds like a waste of a smiths time that can be doing actual work.

I'm not that well versed in vortex scopes, (well any scope really) VMR-1, 6-25x50 second focal plane MOA ret. it's older but near as I can figure it cost more then the gun new. it adjusts out to 500 yards and then it goes to infinity

I'm not that well versed in vortex scopes, (well any scope really) VMR-1, 6-25x50 second focal plane MOA ret. it's older but near as I can figure it cost more then the gun new. it adjusts out to 500 yards and then it goes to infinity

I like the Berger 185 classic hunter bullets and 58gr Ramshot Hunter powder. The 185 Juggernauts should shoot well also. I get about 2730fps out of a 22" barrel.

Start low and work up.

Post a picture but if its a HST you pretty saved like 200$ for both the rifle and scope not bad

And why enlarge the scope base holes if the receiver is square? squaring the receiver is to the the barrel threads/chamber so when you tighten it all down the barrel is not going right left or up or down and that the bolt face is square to it also and lapping the bolt locks so all the force

He is taking your rifle to the range to outs rounds down the barrel to tell you what the barrel likes? That's sounds like a waste of a smiths time that can be doing actual work.

Lapping the scope rings seems to be a common practice, I would imagine that lightly lapping the takes out any lets say twist? I don't care how good the tooling is, even if you CNC them out of a solid block both rings could be slightly off from one another, the are not taking out enough to keep the rings from clamping, but even that can squeeze the tube and cause problems,
squaring the receiver is to the the barrel threads/chamber so when you tighten it all down the barrel is not going right left or up or down and that the bolt face is square to it also and lapping the bolt lugs so all the force is even instead of on one side trying to push the case the other way. bolt face is squared too,
Now the rail was a weaver and the rings I think were weavers too 20 moa. it could be he gave me(free) another rail because we increased the size of the mounting screws, and it was easier to do that then enlarge the holes and take a chance on losing center? let me guess you don't know why he would do that ether? and the load info is part of the service and I also get detailed measurements on the inside of the chamber I think that's priceless, I really don't have the writing skills to explain the whole process, And I thought this was Snipers hide and I was the novice? Do you think a military Armory just hands there top shooters a rifle right out of the box? OH and forgot we pillar bedded it too, I guess that was unnecessary too as it already had a stock?

Reactions: jcmullis2
The barrel pointing in different directing is called barrel timing since every barrel has some degree of deflection. The practice of timing a barrel is used to maintain all usuable windage in a scope.

If you think a CNC machines scope mount will be off, i suggest you check out Spuhr mounts. ARC rings, seekins and others modern rings that dont require any lapping.

Lapping bolt lugs ensure near 100% contavt with the lugs and reciever it doesnt nothing to ensure they are square. Now single point cutting the reciver perpendicular to the raceway is the way to go about that.

Bring me to lapping rings, your weaver rings are pretty low quality so i can see the need there.

The military armory your talking has to be the AMU, been there a couple of time myself. Thats not the standard nor what a E-3 that opens and closes the vault door and says clean your M4 more.

Your chamber dimension are measure by a piece of brass being fired in your chamber. Hence fireforming will tell you everything you need. A decent set of calipers and headspace gauge is needed.

I just hope you didnt pay a whole lot for the services rendered.

*enlarging the screws on your scope base was done during the time of poor QC on remingtons part when the original 6-32 screw where mis aligned to the reciver. And the 8-40 screw hole where used to realign everything

Last edited:
Lapping the scope rings seems to be a common practice, I would imagine that lightly lapping the takes out any lets say twist? I don't care how good the tooling is, even if you CNC them out of a solid block both rings could be slightly off from one another, the are not taking out enough to keep the rings from clamping, but even that can squeeze the tube and cause problems,
squaring the receiver is to the the barrel threads/chamber so when you tighten it all down the barrel is not going right left or up or down and that the bolt face is square to it also and lapping the bolt lugs so all the force is even instead of on one side trying to push the case the other way. bolt face is squared too,
Now the rail was a weaver and the rings I think were weavers too 20 moa. it could be he gave me(free) another rail because we increased the size of the mounting screws, and it was easier to do that then enlarge the holes and take a chance on losing center? let me guess you don't know why he would do that ether? and the load info is part of the service and I also get detailed measurements on the inside of the chamber I think that's priceless, I really don't have the writing skills to explain the whole process, And I thought this was Snipers hide and I was the novice? Do you think a military Armory just hands there top shooters a rifle right out of the box? OH and forgot we pillar bedded it too, I guess that was unnecessary too as it already had a stock?
The younger fellas aren’t familiar with how scopes are mounted old school. They think because it says lapping isn’t required means it’s as good as those that are lapped. It makes a difference but it takes time. Old school Gunsmiths live on their reputation so they don’t send things out without testing them a bit. He probably changed out the cheap weaver rail and went with the larger screws because of the heavy recoil. Some of the better rails incorporate a recoil lug design also. Sounds like the OP got a great rifle and has an awesome Smitty. I wish there was another like him in my area.

Reactions: Baron23
Lapping isn't required or recommended when you buy a quality set of rings, increasing the scope base screw size is unnecessary in most cases (it's a 30-06), and spend the money on a Nightforce base.

I've never damaged a scope or had one slip in the rings.

Lapping isn't required or recommended when you buy a quality set of rings, increasing the scope base screw size is unnecessary in most cases (it's a 30-06), and spend the money on a Nightforce base.

I've never damaged a scope or had one slip in the rings.
Most folks that have $500 rifles aren’t gonna spend $400 on a Spuhr scope mount and they aren’t wrong. I have 40+ year old rifles with leupold bases and rings. I thought $50 was highway robbery but they’re still serving me all these years later. They still sell those same leupold rings and base. I put a set on a friend’s Remington ADL a few months ago and he paid less than I did all those years ago. It took about 5 minutes to lap them and his $300 Athlon Argos isn’t gonna move. I’ve got larue on my newer rigs and they’re awesome but they cost me over $300. It wouldn’t make since to pay more for the mount than you do for the scope or rifle. Just my humble opinion

Reactions: Evlshnngns
But that is, when it does make sense you are taking the weakest link out of the potential problem, those rings are what literally hold everything together. If your scope is good and zero'd and your rifle which shoots minute of deer is good. And your rings dont hold on to your scope cause they shifted when your deer rifle is riding around on your side by side. Doesnt make sense.

I don't own a Spuhr mount either. Seekins, Steiner, and ARC all make good rings at decent prices.
I believe most folks buy what they can afford. Back in the day money was tight so we did what we needed to do to make things right. I think the Burris signature pepr with the plastic inserts is a good idea but I haven’t tried them yet. There’s more than one way to skin a coon.
Btw. The Seekins rail uses a recoil lug design like I mentioned earlier

Last edited:
well with the economy like it is some people get in a jam , need cash So I saw a Remington 700 long range with a viper vortex scope, bi-pod and a plano hard case for sale for $1100, I offered $1000 he took it, Now mind you, ALL I have heard is how horrible Remington's Quality has been the last many years, But for a $1000 I figured how bad could I get hurt? I did the serial # and it looks like a 2016. Well I'm more worried now, So I sent it to a gunsmith to have it looked at to see if it was worth "blueprinting", He said it looked like it was barely shot and he saw nothing he didn't like , so on with the work well the barrel was square and the receiver was only a .001 out, going to have the barrel cryo'd, bigger screws for the scope mount, he didn't like the weaver rail that was on the gun, So we went with a TPS rail. lap the scope mounts too, Trigger Tech Trigger set to 2 lbs 13 oz, , part of the blueprinting is load data, he's going out to the range with it to proof it and see what it likes to shoot, as far as bullets I'm going to stay between 165 to 190 grains, anybody got any pet loads you'd like to share? I AM SORRY, 30-06 you know that old absolute caliber

I too have the Remington 700 Long Range chambered in 30.06. I picked the rifle up for $695 from Grabagun. After adding scope, base, rings and bi-pod, I have well over $1700 in my rifle, so you did good for $1000! Any pics of the new-to-you rifle?

Pictures of this beast please!

30-06 great caliber.

Thinking I need a accuracy built rifle in 30-06 than I remember Ive been waiting almost a year for one I have been waiting on since 2017.......

I’ve been wanting one of those long range rifles in 30-06. I couldn’t find any as I wanted to take that thing to MT this year for Mulies. Settled for a win mag instead. Let’s see it!

Mine in 30.06. Note, the cheek riser is no longer mounted to the stock, and I have since swapped out the bolt knob:

IMG_9590.jpg

IMG_9589.jpg

IMG_9586.jpg

The younger fellas aren’t familiar with how scopes are mounted old school. They think because it says lapping isn’t required means it’s as good as those that are lapped. It makes a difference but it takes time. Old school Gunsmiths live on their reputation so they don’t send things out without testing them a bit. He probably changed out the cheap weaver rail and went with the larger screws because of the heavy recoil. Some of the better rails incorporate a recoil lug design also. Sounds like the OP got a great rifle and has an awesome Smitty. I wish there was another like him in my area.

LOL

what a load of BS

So what part of that was BS? The part that lower cost rings need to be lapped? The part about old school smiths performing that service? The part about larger mount screws handling more recoil? The part about better rails having a recoil lug? Please enlighten us.

I bought an UNKOWN to me rifle, after all the bad press I thought it would be the better part of valor, too have it checked out by a qualified gunsmith, So after we figured out it wasn't a pig in a poke, I decided to go ahead with the "blue printing" he pointed out what he would do, I got 37 unfired cartridges in a MTM case and 17 spent brass, the gunsmith says the gun looks like it's only been fired 13 times(but who knows?) as far as the blueprinting goes, every thing was done that could be done to a stock rifle, the the scope rings and screws, can't go wrong for $40, Him shooting it and making a few adjustments and suggesting load data AND getting in the bulls eye at 300 yards, saves me an awful amount of time and trouble! what I paid for the gun and the gunsmith, I have about what that other gentleman did $1700. I have the stuff too figure out bullet jump/how far the the lands, he's going to give me the bullet jam measurement. I don't think I'm getting took, the barrel has been cryo'd too, stock pillar bedded also.

I like the Berger 185 classic hunter bullets and 58gr Ramshot Hunter powder. The 185 Juggernauts should shoot well also. I get about 2730fps out of a 22" barrel.

Start low and work up.
26 inch barrel my dad wants me to try 190 grain nosler accubond and 4831 SC