• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rem 700 or savage 10FP

stalker1131

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2010
Allen,Texas
I'm a new guy here and I'm really torn between two rifle choices. I was originally set on the Remington 700 SPS and I was told by alot of people that the Savage 10FP was a better rifle out of the box. Any suggestions?? Also, I was told to get a 22'' barrel or longer if I want to shoot out to 800 but I think the Savage only comes in 24'' and I don't want to much barrell. Any helpfull advice would be appreciated.

Re: Rem 700 or savage 10FP

Im no expert, but the 700 will have much more options for aftermarket parts. I bought the SPS Tac and glad i did!

You may find a good local smith to cut and re-crown for reasonable money. Mine will do it for $30.

I don't see 22 vs 24 as a big difference. Now 20 vs 26, that's noticeable.

I love my Savage rifles.... Accurate right out of the box and a very nice trigger to start with... Especially if your new as you say...

Thx for the input guys. I agree that the 700 has more aftermarket parts. hmmm decisions, decisions.......

As of right now the Remington 700 has more after market parts. However, more Savage after market parts are becoming available.

I picked Savage 10FP because Remingtons are like assholes... Everyone has one.

I just picked up a SPS-T from a dealer here in Dallas for a great price!! I have owned all remington rifles and shotguns and have had no problems. I bought it on a budget build to reach out to a 1000 yds.

My goal is to have Bell and Carlson light tactical or medallist for it, cheaper than a PSS stock( HS Precision)!! $207-225 from stockys. With a falcon menace scope. I should be right at $1200 bucks or less.

PM me and I will give you my dealer info there AWESOME!!

Go to some local gunshops, see if you can find examples of both and handle them. If you can try to shoot them. You will know which one you want.

The reason the Savage is more accurate is that the bolt head is pinned to the bolt body instead of a one piece forging as on the Rem. It was originally done for ease of manufacture, but regardless, it allows the locking lugs to fully seat every time. On the Rem., the upper locking lug is pulled from it's seat when the trigger sear forces the bolt body up at the rear. The Rem. bolt body can be sleeved to prevent the movement, but it is expensive. One more consideration is that you can change the barrels on the Savage without a gunsmith, you can even change the bolt head to a different case head size. When you throw in the new Accu Trigger, the comparison becomes even more one sided.

I'm going through the same decision process right now, and even thought about the AR-10 route, but then I get myself in trouble with too many choices...
laugh.gif

I am leaning more and more with the Savage now. I've always been a tinkerer with my handguns and shotguns, so I really like the fact I can gunsmith, to a degree almost everything on the Savage.

With regards to aftermarket accessories support, Savage barrels, stocks (modular with integral DBMs accepting AI mags or otherwise), triggers, scope bases, scope rings, bottom metals, muzzle brakes, bolt knobs are offered by almost all well-respected vendors now, and choosing between the vendors that often post here are like choosing a black Ferrari from a red Ferrari (okay maybe I exaggerate, a little :)), so what else is there to upgrade? Sure you can say there may be 10 barrel choices for the Rem vs. 8 for the Savage, but any one of those 8 for the Savage will serve most intended purposes very well. Aftermarket support argument is posted almost daily, and invariably whenever someone asks the Rem vs. Sav question on S.H., but <span style="font-weight: bold">for me</span> it is a moot point now, which is good because I'll be the one shooting it.
smile.gif

Don't forget to post your new stick if and when you get it!
smile.gif

I thought long and hard on it, and bought the savage 10 fcp with the removable mag. shoots very nice, and now i'm just stuck trying to figure out where to go from my bare bones out of the box with a bipod and mark III leo.