• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing rem 700 question

nmntz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2009
terrebonne, or
i just picked up a remington 700 bdl in 7mm. i traded a 300 savage model 111 for it so i know i got a good deal. Question is, can i use it to build a 308, 300, 6.5, or even a 338 edge, lapua, or winmag. thank you in advance

Re: rem 700 question

I am using a Mod 700 LA for a 300 Win Mag build.

Previously it was 7mm Rem Mag.

Have no experience of the 338 Magnums

Can't use it for a .308 Win, as the bolt face is too large. Any belted mag cartridge will work in that action

ok then heres a newbie question, lol. I have a 20" sps 308 barrel, can i have it reamed into a 300 winmag? and still keep consistency of velocity and accuracy at 800 yards?

What about the short mags? 300 and 7mm. I've read where some guys use long actions for those so they they can seat the bullet way out.

Nmntz, the SPS won't work for a Win Man, it's a short action. You're better off building a .338 edge on your long action rather than the Lapua. You'll run into bolt face issues and you'll need to have a Sako style extractor installed also. The Edge will fit right in there. You might have to have the rear of the action milled out a bit to get the Edge case to a long enough COAL but it will work. Seekins does it.

You can use this action for any of the chamberings you mentioned but some of the choices will require more modifications to the bolt/action than others ($$$). The SPS barrel you have may not have enough meat in the chamber area to be "winmagged out".
Look for another barrel to do a win mag or get another bolt and run 308 in the long action.

If you are trying to do this on the cheap then most of the things you describe will not be plug and play...