• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 rebarrel

SepticDeath

Live Free or Die!
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2014
Indiana
Where does everyone send their rem 700 to get rebarreled? Finally shot the barrel out of my 700 tac. Need a new barrel and going to go a bit longer this time. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200516_105459.jpg
    20200516_105459.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Northland Shooters Supply can sell you everything needed to rebarrel your 700 in virtually any caliber.

Pretty much any smith can do that job. Last barrel I got put on I got done at Bartlein. They do a very good job and you get one of the best barrels around. Here is their shop list to look at but you can call and get info if needed also.

Either a Remage barrel to do yourself, get a barrel blank and have a gunsmith chamber it and true your action or start over with a custom action and barrel blank/pre-fit barrel from a reputable shop.

Last edited:
Either a Remage barrel to do yourself, get a barrel blank and have a gunsmith chamber it and true/upgrade your action (side bolt stop, bush firing pin, M16 or Sako extractor, etc...) or start over with a custom action and barrel blank/pre-fit barrel from a reputable shop.

That stuff is not needed. Actually seen people do all this stuff and have issues. Just leave the 700 as is and it will work. A simple truing is fine though.

That stuff is not needed. Actually seen people do all this stuff and have issues. Just leave the 700 as is and it will work. A simple truing is fine though.
Correct, it is not needed. I will revise my post.

I’ve built my first rifle off of a stripped M700 action to save money, and now I’m wishing I’d used a custom action to start with. The action has sentimental value to me, so I’ve decided to have it modified instead of starting over (plus the Bartlein barrel my smith chambered still has plenty of life left). I initially only had it trued, but now I want those extras improvements made for piece of mind and I have confidence in my builder’s work.

“Improvements” are in the eye of the owner. I wouldn’t do any of that to any of my 700 action rifles.

Both my match rifles are 700s that were trued by a local smith. One of them has had 5 barrels on it. Both have standard clip style extractors and bolt stops. Never a single problem with either action.

Rebarrel as you see fit, either a remage or from any reputable smith.

“Improvements” are in the eye of the owner. I wouldn’t do any of that to any of my 700 action rifles.

I can appreciate that. It’s definitely a “want” on my end versus a “need”. No problems with the rifle as-is in 2.5 years and maybe a dozen 1-day matches. We’ll see how it ends up when I get the rifle back.

Reactions: Campguy308
anyone have an idea on current NSS lead times?

anyone have an idea on current NSS lead times?
It depends on what configuration you want. Based on what they told me, they don’t stock certain contours. Email them and they’ll let you know pretty quick.

pretty much what I expected to hear. I was just given a couple of G prefixed barreled actions, and I have no idea what I want to do with them