• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 scope base suggestions please

Nathaniel01

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2018
Just scored an older VA Beach surplus police sniper Rem 700 in .308 with 24" barrel. It has a crappy two piece aluminum weaver mount on it. Who makes a good, steel 20 moa single piece picatinny scope base?

I second the nightforce base. Also should mention badger Ordnance. I have them on most of my 700s. Both are definitely the best options imo.

The wheeler torque wrench will serve you just fine. Ive had the same one for years and it works great!

Reactions: wb00757
I've had good luck with Warne steel bases:

Reactions: Average guy
EGW is a decent budget option for an aluminum base. Ive had good luck with them on a few rifles. Just make sure you're buying the 7075 version not the 6061.

X3 for Badger, and LRI is making them too. Not sure if the NF rail has a recoil lug like the Badger and LRI...

Badger. Nightforce is basically a copy of the Badger base. The Nightforce also has the recoil lug like Badger. Both are the best you can get.

A cheaper option would be Leupold Mark 4 if you don't want the extra length that hangs over the recoil lug.

The two-piece base on your 700P is most likely a 0-MOA Leupold Mark 4 and there's nothing wrong with those unless you really need the extra 20-MOA of elevation. It makes top loading easy if you don't have a DBM.

The two-piece base on your 700P is most likely a 0-MOA Leupold Mark 4 and there's nothing wrong with those unless you really need the extra 20-MOA of elevation. It makes top loading easy if you don't have a DBM.

I looked closer at the existing two piece mount, the forward mount is marked "L46" and the rear is marked "L36". Are these probably the Leupold?

In stock.

1582035968647.png

1582035985597.png

The only negative to the nightforce xtreme duty base is how much of it overhangs the recoil lug. REALLY look before you lighten your ring caps and make sure the scope objective isn’t making contact with the rail as you will damage the scope. I had to cut off a few sections of the rail to clear a scope on my LA Remington.

Just scored an older VA Beach surplus police sniper Rem 700 in .308 with 24" barrel. It has a crappy two piece aluminum weaver mount on it. Who makes a good, steel 20 moa single piece picatinny scope base?
Warne for a more less expensive option. I've never had issues with less expensive rails.

Another vote for Badger. If you can’t find a Badger, go Nightforce. Either can be found used for around 100 in the PX, if you’re on a budget. Don’t ever skimp on bases or rings.

What's wrong with the 6061? If you're sticking with the #6 screws I don't believe you'd see any advantage to the 7075.

Per EGW, the 6061 bases (at least theirs) shouldn't be used with QD rings / mounts. The QD mechanism can clamp hard enough to damage the softer 6061 alloy. If you are running QD then they recommend the HD version which is 7075. I have always used that version to keep all mounting options open for future changes.

Reactions: 1911hombre
Badger. Nightforce is basically a copy of the Badger base. The Nightforce also has the recoil lug like Badger. Both are the best you can get.

The NightForce is not a copy of the Badger.
If anything, the NF is closer to the NEAR base. I'm not sure the early NF weren't even made by NEAR. NEAR has changed their design since 20yrs ago though.

Several differences between the B.O. and N.F. with the primary one being that the NF is a lot wider at the point it makes contact with the receiver. This gives the NF about 20% more surface contact with the receiver, which in my mind makes it potentially more rigid from the lateral aspect/direction. Set a NF and BO side by side and take a pic from the rear. It will jump out at you. (**See pics and post below)

Both have the elongated base screw countersinks and recoil lug that catches the front of the ejection port. This is super important in my opinion. Bases like the EGW and all 2 piece designs that lack that lug have a much higher failure rate (shooting loose) in our classes.

I do agree that both are the best you can get.

./

Last edited:
I have two R700 Classic (1994 so LA in 6.5x55). one has a nightforce one piece base, another one is KenFarrell 0MOA Full Slot. Either works great - I can't say I prefer one over another... So, here is my rant, probably not much help...

NF on the left and BO on the right. The difference is substantial. This is easy to pickup on with other brands out there as well.

I love all of Badger Ord products but this is why I use the NF bases.

View attachment 7253640

./

Thanks for the pics, Terry. I stand corrected. That's a huge difference especially if not using the 8/40 holes.

Reactions: Terry Cross