• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rem 700 scope mount

gnappi

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2012
I'm buying a Remington 700 VTR in .223 and I'm wanting a rail mount on it so I can put rings or open sights on it.

One of the rails I saw says it is for a short action, but there are three check boxes on it. One "0 MOA" one "15 MOA" and another "20 MOA" The one I saw has the 20 MOA box checked, what the heck is that MOA designation?

Re: Rem 700 scope mount

Minute of Angle.

What the canted rail does is basically point your cross hairs low as opposed to a normal parallel alignment between the scope and bore of the rifle.

It allows greater range acquisition with the given amount of elvation adjustment inherent in the scope.

I guess I didn't make myself clear, I do that a lot nowadays :)

I know that MOA is Minute of angle, but how will a 20 MOA versus a zero MOA affect bullet impact?

Basically what you are doing by putting a 20 MOA base on your rifle is using more of your scopes internal adjustment for UP elevation. Lets say your scope has 50 MOA of elevation. that means after zeroing you should be somewhere in the middle of that meaning you will have 25 moa up and 25 moa down. The 20 moa base lets u take an extra 20 moa of that internal adjustment and use it for UP elevation. so after zeroing with the 20 moa base you would have roughly 45 MOA of UP elevation and 5 moa of down elevation. I hope I explained that simply enough.